Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Car is a 2012 VR6 Sport. 85K miles, all records, I bought from orig owner about 3 years ago. Runs great and other than recent crash is in good condition. Two days ago my son crashed into a parked car, wheel to wheel. He's fine, but Touareg took a hit. Damaged the front passenger side fender and the suspension on that side. Quote to fix everything came to 9K, new fender, paint matched, and new suspension parts was like 4K+ 4K in labor + new wheel, tire, alignment. Not sure I want to put 9K into it, as i only had liability coverage on it.

Here's my questions to the forum
1) what do you think its worth to someone as is who can fix it at less than retail cost, and where should I sell I went that route

2) How much do you think it would be worth after full repair?

3) Anyone know a shop in the SF Bay Peninsula (near San Mateo) that would just repair the suspension, and let the fender stay as is (my son doenst need perfect fender) I figure this would cost about 4K.

Attachments

· Premium Member
552 Posts
sorry to hear of the damage to your Touareg.
I suggest that your son pay for the damage, maybe he can fix some of the damage himself, then he will learn several good lessons. It might take him a while, but that just makes the lesson more memorable.
if your son has his own insurance, it might cover damages he caused when driving someone else's vehicle.
if collision shops knows your insurance wont pay, they usually lower the repair price. If they also know your son is going to have to pay, they may lower price even more.

· Super Moderator
2,111 Posts
sorry to hear of the damage to your Touareg.
I suggest that your son pay for the damage, maybe he can fix some of the damage himself, then he will learn several good lessons. It might take him a while, but that just makes the lesson more memorable.
if your son has his own insurance, it might cover damages he caused when driving someone else's vehicle.
if collision shops knows your insurance wont pay, they usually lower the repair price. If they also know your son is going to have to pay, they may lower price even more.
Body shops don't work like that. They don't care who's son did it. 9/10 the kid is under the Parents Insurance to begin with....

· Super Moderator
2,111 Posts
Personally what I would do, Is hit FB market place or Ebay for a Fender the same color, and Wheel. You may be able to pick up a cheap set of wheels vs just buying one. You can then resell your set for around the same but just include that your one wheel is damaged. Wheel and Fender you can do yourself. However we don't know the extent of your suspension issues. I would advise going to shop for that.

· Registered
5,676 Posts
Call around and get a few Estimates, it could be a general VW repair shop. It doesn't need to be an auto body shop.
Yep; my Volkswagen dealer doesn't do their own body work. Rather, they farm out the work to A local highly rated shop

Reactions: Touaregman33

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update - current plan is to get mechanic to repair the suspension, and then I will attempt to replace fender with used or just bang fender back to reasonable shape and roll with it. Hoping damage is limited to suspension, otherwise, there will be another source for Touareg parts for all the DIY types on this forum.

· Registered
5,676 Posts
Update - current plan is to get mechanic to repair the suspension, and then I will attempt to replace fender with used or just bang fender back to reasonable shape and roll with it. Hoping damage is limited to suspension, otherwise, there will be another source for Touareg parts for all the DIY types on this forum.
And another ragged out to Touareg hits the road :/

• Helpful
Reactions: Touaregman33

· Registered
2009 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 TDI & 2008 Volkswagen Touareg 5.0 TDI & Volkswagen Touareg 4.2 FSI
95 Posts
I had similar when I got damaged my suspension system.
Depends on your decision and your ability skills.

I had to replaced by myself with right tools for tie rod, knuckle, cv axle, upper control arm, lower control arm, and struts with my own hands those are not that hard work but it will take a lot of time and save more money if doing on your own but again depends on your skills. My insurance want total my Touareg but I fight with insurance that my Touareg is still drivable and repaired so I did. If you took any body shop especially “Touareg repair with labor” it will hurt your wallet beside if you are affordable the highway robbery labor hours.

It cost me about around under $3,000 mixed with new parts and used parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts