Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello
I got 2012 v6 lux touareg, I own it more then a year, when it had around 44K miles
now i'm about the reach 70,000 Miles soon :(
my questions are:

:confused: by the book, i had to replace the spark plug 10K miles ago.. I'm about to do it now but do I need to replace the cables too? witch brand should I go with for quality? what's the average price for that in a shop?

:confused: when do you change brake fluid and transmission oil ?

:confused: any thing else i need to consider replacing or checking to maintain it well ?

:confused: witch engine oil is BEST? how often full syntactic oil needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The first brake fluid change is due at 3 years old but thereafter it is every 2 years, the difference in time being that when the car is being built the nice fresh fluid is poured into a nice, brand new, clean, dry system whereas thereafter it is not.

I would certainly change the ATF every 60,000 miles together other transmission oils and if you tow a lot, then think about doing it every 40K.

You should be changing the engine oil and filter every 10K. I do hope you have been doing that . . .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
brake fluid - i own the car only since 8/2014. how would i know if its time to replace ?!

what is ATF?! now im getting more confused

i do replace the oil every 3K or 5K miles. 10,000 miles ?!?!?!?!?!?!! are you sure ?!?!?!?!?! what kind of oil and filter do you put???

what about the spark plugs?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
who can REALLY tell me what is needs to be replaced ?!
We have/are. Start SHOUTING at us and we might not bother!

brake fluid - i own the car only since 8/2014. how would i know if its time to replace ?!

what is ATF?! now im getting more confused

i do replace the oil every 3K or 5K miles. 10,000 miles ?!?!?!?!?!?!! are you sure ?!?!?!?!?! what kind of oil and filter do you put???

what about the spark plugs?
There is a Search function on here, you know!

Type in ATF and take your choice of threads, like this one for example:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f95/diy-transmission-fluid-change-pics-atf-82168.html?highlight=atf

Did you not get the service records when you bought the car?

It's unlikely the previous owner would have changed the brake fluid as the car simply wasn't old enough, but if you don't know either way, then like I said, three years is the time to get it changed first, and then every two years, so I strongly recommend you just get it done.

There are two types of service intervals: Time/Distance which is 12 months/10,000 miles, whichever comes first, or Long Life which can be up to 2 years or 18,000 miles - the car has sensors to determine when that service is due. However I think US cars are usually on Time/Distance.

Changing the oil every 5K is good, especially if you do a lot of city/heavy traffic driving.

I suggest you buy your oil filters from the VW dealer: yes, you can get other aftermarket filters but for the few dollars you might save, in my book it's not worth it. What have you been using until now?

Look in the handbook for the correct oil for your engine.

Can't help on your spark plugs and I'm not sure about when you should replace the coils - perhaps others might chime in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
google ATF first answer: ATF is a unique law enforcement agency in the United States Department of Justice that protects our communities from violent criminals, criminal organizations, the illegal use and trafficking of firearms, the illegal use and storage of explosives, acts of arson and bombings, acts of terrorism, and the illegal diversion ...

lol

ok
the car came clean without any history :( but probably nothing been done to the car in the first 45K miles before I bought it.. make sense... I just planning to own the car for long long time so i'm trying to maintain it the best i can, but i don't know much.. i mean i know but don't want to make mistakes that can cost a lot.......
like tiers rotation.. air filter.. even small stuff i take care

probably brake fluid never been change. witch one should I get?

all the time i used to get full syntactic oil but don't know actually what numbers
and change it after 3 or 5K miles... I just choose the best they have in the shop i do the oil change at (i move a lot so different shops)

so back to ATF ( transmission oil), i need to change in that point ?

about the spark plugs, as i said, the book says replace at 60K and no additional info.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Get the brake fluid change done at a VW dealer. It's a 13 stage process. That way you will know it's been done right and with the correct fluid, but do look for deals on their pricing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get the brake fluid change done at a VW dealer. It's a 13 stage process. That way you will know it's been done right and with the correct fluid, but do look for deals on their pricing.
True
It's not a task I would do at the corner shop. Although where I live there is only own private expensive wv dealer
So I used to do my stuff at Sears auto or Firestone ect..

Maybe should I try get a deal on brakes and transmission done at once ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts