Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
First Touareg, 7th VAG car, 7th or 8th diesel. It has ~115k miles on it. Has lux package. Its been fixed.

Today I start the truck after work; no issues. Driving down the road. A few miles later I'm turning left and look down, and my glow plug light is flashing constantly and there is a gauge that looks like the cruise-control light turned on orange. I cannot set cruise control. Zero issues w/ driving. I turned the truck off at home, turned back on.. the only issue was it no longer auto-starts.. I have to hold the key until it starts. Idles fine.

Any ideas? Called the local dump of a dealer and they refuse to tell me what is covered under the extended fix warranty until they can diagnose it. No VCDS :(

Ideas?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got thinking about it; classic symptom of a bad brake light being out in a TDI is a flashing glow plug light. Coincidentally, I was indeed on my brakes making a left-hand turn when I noticed the light.

I just went outside and w/ the truck off, the brake lights do not illuminate at all.

·
Registered
202 Posts
AFAIK a flashing glow plug light means that there is a fault with the engine management system. Needs to be checked with a proper diagnostic reader.

The cruise control will not work if the brake lights do not work, a safety interlock. Normally when driving, you turn off the cruise when you touch the brakes. This requires the brake light circuit to be working correctly.

Unusual to have both brake lights fail, so I would check the fuses

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe that you're correct in that it COULD be the management system or HPFP etc, but a flashing glow plug light combined with no brake lights working with pedal on is classic brake light switch failure since the tdi of the 90s lol. Emergency lights work. Brakes do not. I'm probably gonna swap out the switch and see what happens.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weirdest thing. 5am today I fire the truck up (again had to hold the key to start it), glow plug light flashes a few times then went away. My brake lights now work. I'll test this afternoon to see if the same happens when my auto headlights aren't on

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good question I'll look after work. I haven't had any issues with starting or accessories etc though

Far as a friend with vcds I could summon an old friend to do that but I'm trying to avoid that lol

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the input and the locator guys I appreciate it.

And just like that, the problem never came back. Ahhh, some things DON'T ever change, dear friend Volkswagen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts