Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The blower changes speeds and makes a good but of noise on high, but it is like all of the vents are closed. We were driving on a trip and stopped for gas and noticed the car was getting hotter and the air was not blowing out of the dash vents (Or any others very much) Well you can feel it a little bit, but no where near what it is usual.
I ran the adaption tests on the flaps and there are no error codes on the VCDS. It thinks everything is OK, but then no air and the A/C thinks it is cooling and the numbers change etc.
And thoughts on the AC?
I have not checked the cabin air filter lately could that plug up and stop the air?
Now that I have checked the air filter and pulled it out and found the coil frozen (probably from low air flow through a dirty filter) it blows good. Tomorrow I will get a new filter!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just for the continuing record. We were traveling towing our 16' Scamp travel trailer and the AC quit blowing. No codes on the VCDS, Inspection showed that the coil as frozen up due to possibly the cabin air filter dirty ( very) and the dash temp sensor between the two temp controls was covered by my wife's tablet.
I normally say don't put it there as the sensor is that little bump between the knobs, but what the heck...
SO I don't know if this added to the possibility of the core freezing due to not having the cabin temp correct combined with low air flow due to the (who knows when it was changed) dirty filter.
Replaced the filter and moved the tablet and so far so good. We have just been driving locally but will get a good test when we head back home.
I will post if the problem returns, but I doubt it will.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Wow... the damn cabin air filter. Crazy!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had always treated the cabin filter with benign neglect as the dirtier it gets the more it filters...
But the air flow goes down.
Two possible issues
1. - Reduced air flow through the filter reducing the heat removal from the coil and freezing up
2. - Incorrect reading of cabin air temp due to the blocked temps sensor on the panel above the ashtray (blocked by SWMBO tablet).
Or more likely the combination of the above and long trip with the problem showing up after a fuel stop.
The VCDS did not show any faults and I don't think that the refrigerant was (is) low which would cause low evaporator coil temps.
I was ready to believe that the issue might be similar to the Jetta RCV A/C issue, but they always blew air through the system.
I was also ready to believe a flapper position problem, but the VCDS and adaptation proved that was not the case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts