Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Not very much. The plastic shell is about about all that is reusable. The metal part of the key won't work in any other locks and the electronic circuit board inside the fob cannot be reset to 'talk' to any other Touareg either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine doesnt have a "metal part" of the key. The entire fob went into the dash. And in mine, you could add keys to the car through the dash it seemed like.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Fourdiesel was talking about the earlier keys, but it's the same idea. The KESSY fob can only be programmed to a vehicle by VW, and the accompanying "emergency" drivers door key (composite plastic in the newer fobs) are cut only by VW in Germany to your VIN.
They are frightfully expensive new, but are not reuseable in another vehicle.
So the only actual used value is a few bucks for the shell.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Same thing with my LS430 Smart Key, lost keys got reprogrammed for another key found old keys worthless. I did not have a key to copy so had to go with all new programming. I had stepkids think they stole my keys to piss me off.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I bought one off eBay a couple years back as a spare and thought the dealership could add it to my 2013 by reprogramming it. It was impossible. They thought they could and tried, but the Touareg locked them out for over an hour in their service bay.

They gave the key back to me, "Sorry, it can't be done".. I did get my money back after explaining the problem to the seller. They also did not know it could not be reprogrammed.

Only VW can make a new key. Dealership, VIN #, and a couple weeks and a lot of money $$$ can make it happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts