Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I own a 2012 Touareg LUX Edition that has NAV and Bluetooth capability for hands-free phone and audio streaming. I recently upgraded to an iPhone 8 and attempted to connect the phone to the RNS850 head unit. The unit will only find the A2DP audio and connect to it. It will not find the hand-free phone and connect. I contacted VW Customer Care Support and they indicated that the RNS850 head unit is compatible with iPhones up to models 6s\6s Plus. It is not fully compatible with higher models such as the 7, 8 or X. The rep also indicated that there was no update to the head unit that would resolve this. Previously I owned an iPhone6 that connected to both audio and hands-free without issue.

Does anyone on this forum know of any 3rd party hardware options that I can install to remedy this? I am aware of FISCON but not clear if I will run into the same issue and\or if FISCON Bluetooth and the built-in Bluetooth on the RNS850 can work together. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't have an RNS850, but I was having problems getting my iPhoneX to connect to my 2008 R50's RNS510. My car's manual said to look for the car in the phone settings bluetooth search for devices... it is actually named Skoda_UHV and not VW. The manual said type in 0000 when the phone asks for a connect password. I did that and it would not connect.

I thought the bluetooth unit must be faulty and actually bought the FISCON unit, but before fitting it I tried 1234 as the password on the original unit, and the phone connected to the car!

Hope it is as simple as that for you.

Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I am not even getting to the point when I can enter the pairing code as my RNS850 does not even see the hands-free phone when I search for phones.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry it was no help ... for my RNS510 it is the phone that searches for and sees the head unit, not the head unit searching for the phone. Hopefully someone with an RNS850 will chip in with help!

Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can attempt to pair in both directions as well however it will only connect to the audio portion and not the hands-free phone which is really what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks VWBob. My unit has been at the v711 firmware for several years now...to resolve the XM mono sound, infrequent reboots and freezing of the unit, etc. When I contacted VM Customer Care, they did indicate that no newer firmware was available.

I did some Google searching today and may look into vendors that have recently introduced Apple Carplay integration with the RNS850....although it certainly would be an expensive remedy for my immediate problem. I'm not sure if the price tags are worth the added feature/functionality.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Biggest short coming of the T3 Touareg in my opinion is the RNS850, unfortunately it is more than just a radio, complete information system integrated into ECU and CCU systems so it can't be replaced easily.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah...agreed. I'm seriously thinking more and more about Apple CarPlay integration even with the price tag. Naviplus in Australia makes a unit that works well. I have no plans to get rid of the Touareg anytime soon. My 2016 Golf R has the functionality and I do use it quiet a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts