Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I've looked through and read a plethora of threads but can't seem to get any concrete, first hand information. I'm getting ready to do my oil change and want to know if extraction method is ok or if i should go the route of ramps/jack stands. Some things i've read said you aren't supposed to do the extraction method, other things i've read said it's ok. I'd like to get a consensus as to what everyone else does before i pick a method. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
848 Posts
I think it's a matter of preference. With extraction, you leave a little more oil in the pan. That's the only real downfall I see from that method.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just performed my first oil change on my 5 month old 2008 Touareg 3.0 tdi.
I used the traditional drain from the bottom technique, And I found it to be as simple as I remember when I did I my oil in old cars as a teen.

Having not used the vac method I can not comment, but it's worth noting that if you have air suspension, you will have ample room to scuttle under with a hex key and the oil pan to perform a traditional change.

It doesn't take long at all, so have no fear I really think either way is acceptable.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I did need a larger than standard oil tray to cope with all 8 - 9 liters, I got a really good 15 liter truck model with a spout and lid to simplify moving it around when full of oil. It was sub 20 clams from flee bay.

Good luck which ever path you choose.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have read that there are baffles in the TDI oil pan that prevent a hose from reaching the very bottom of the oil pan so I will not use an extractor.

Draining from the bottom isn't too bad my second time around because I had just taken off the front skid plate, used a block of wood to hold the middle plate down and out of the way so I could put my drain pan underneath the drain bolt and let all the oil out that way. I'll say it is just an extra bunch of bolts to get the skidplates off and that is what is so time consuming about the whole oil change, otherwise it is easy.

I had made 4 platforms by taking 3-different lengths of 2x10's and cut 45 degree angles in each length, then screwed all of them together so there are three "steps" to get my vehicle to the top and get about 6" of lift so I can easily get underneath the vehicle and it will be level. Cheap and easy. This what I use here, I just added another 2x10 to get more height:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have read that there are baffles in the TDI oil pan that prevent a hose from reaching the very bottom of the oil pan so I will not use an extractor.

Draining from the bottom isn't too bad my second time around because I had just taken off the front skid plate, used a block of wood to hold the middle plate down and out of the way so I could put my drain pan underneath the drain bolt and let all the oil out that way. I'll say it is just an extra bunch of bolts to get the skidplates off and that is what is so time consuming about the whole oil change, otherwise it is easy.

I had made 4 platforms by taking 3-different lengths of 2x10's and cut 45 degree angles in each length, then screwed all of them together so there are three "steps" to get my vehicle to the top and get about 6" of lift so I can easily get underneath the vehicle and it will be level. Cheap and easy. This what I use here, I just added another 2x10 to get more height:

Great idea on the platforms! Doesn't seem like they're hard to make nor does the oil change seem that difficult doing it below rather than extracting it. Thanks!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did need a larger than standard oil tray to cope with all 8 - 9 liters, I got a really good 15 liter truck model with a spout and lid to simplify moving it around when full of oil. It was sub 20 clams from flee bay.

Good luck which ever path you choose.
Yeah, i've seen a large enough one at Walmart so i'll grab that. I think going underneath the vehicle is the way to go! Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did my first oil change last week and did it with extraction and it works perfectly. Extracted 9.5 litres out my V8 TDI.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Used to drain the "old fashioned" way until a few weeks ago. I needed to change the oil in all three cars (in signature) over the same week. Wasn't sure how I lucked out having to purchase $200 in oil and filters at the same time, but...

I extracted this time, and I pulled more oil out with the extraction method than I ever did with drain. On the JSW, it was only a 1/2 liter more; but the two 3 liter engines, it was almost 3/4 of a liter more.

So there you have it. It was easier to do also. No crawling, no jacking, no messy hands.

However, make sure the engine is warm/hot. The difference is incredible. It took 10 minutes to pull the oil on two of the cars, and nearly 2 hours on the cold one!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Great idea on the platforms! Doesn't seem like they're hard to make nor does the oil change seem that difficult doing it below rather than extracting it. Thanks!!

Not hard to make at all, and cheap. I have added another piece of 2x10 to add more height to the platforms and it is perfect for getting underneath and getting it all done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not hard to make at all, and cheap. I have added another piece of 2x10 to add more height to the platforms and it is perfect for getting underneath and getting it all done.
Do you think you could measure each of the boards for me? I want to make sure i get a 2x10 long enough for each side. Thanks!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts