Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone confirm that I am close with my estimated buyback?

2012 TDI LUX - 153,000 wonderful miles

Sep 2015 Clean Retail - $34,500
Mileage Adjustment - ($ 7,325)
Est. Restitution - $5,000
Est. Net Buyout - $32,175

I have not done the calculation, but I am curious, what would the value be if I waited until the last month to turn it back (2 years I believe)? Could a financial case be made to continue to drive it? Yes, I understand the risk of an accident that totals the treg. Also, driving another car while this sits in the garage is not an option for me.

Looking at replacement options has me pulling my hair out (whatever is left of it). Simply nothing like it and I am not looking to have another car payment at the moment.

Your help is appreciated in advance.

· Registered
162 Posts
There is no decrease in buyback value so long as you don't exceed 15k miles/yr (1250/mo) over the total time you keep it until buyback. Drive less, value could go up over time. Drive more, buyback value could go down. At the rate you've been driving, value will go down. Whether it goes down enough to impact your financial case is a personal decision. It's all in the mileage adjustment calculation. Good luck in your decision!.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Could a financial case be made to continue to drive the car?"

If all that changes in the buyback equation is the mileage adjustment, then I am pretty sure it makes financial sense to continue to drive the car for two years.

For instance, my current mileage adjustment is ($7,325). Assume I drive the car for another 2 years and roll the odometer up to 200,000 miles. According to the NADA values posted on page 677 of this forum, the new mileage adjustment would be approx ($10,300). If I am reading the tables correctly and doing my math correctly, this tells me I could drive my car another 2 years and the buyback will only decrease by $1500 per year. Any $30-40k replacement vehicle would surely depreciate faster than $1500 per year.

It wouldn't surprise me if I am missing something here. Hence, I am reaching out to the group.

· Registered
162 Posts

If all that changes in the buyback equation is the mileage adjustment, then I am pretty sure it makes financial sense to continue to drive the car for two years.
Haven't tried to check your numbers, but the mileage adjustment is in fact the only thing that changes. You can adjust your own depreciation (or appreciation) rate based on how much you wish to drive. I'm shooting for zero depreciation, not a bad deal if willing to accept the risk of totalling.

To be best informed I encourage you to educate yourself using the court docs referenced many places on the site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.