Club Touareg Forum banner

2012 TDI - HPFP Failure (Replaced under warranty)....Failure AGAIN!?!?

8K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  jasperTDI 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

So I had the dreaded HPFP failure happen around 229,000KM, lucky for me my emissions fix warranty covered this, so long story short 3 weeks later I get the car back. Open the hood looks like all lines rails and pump replaced. 200KM later halfway home I get the same things as the last failure...

Car goes into limp mode, glow plugs start flashing and maybe a few KM later the check engine light is on, 200+ KM later I make it home all in limp mode with check engine light on.

This morning I opened up the fuel filter to see if they changed that too, and yes they did but to my assumption there are metal shavings already....

So I am thinking they must have cut part of the job and not replaced something they thought was not needed.... What do you guys think?

***This is my 1st VW.....love the thing but might be the last....

See less See more
#2 ·
Dang. Have you been able to check what they did? Replace the tank and all of the fuel lines? The fuel? That's way too fast for a new HPFP to have this much wear, and your fuel in Canada is supposedly better for lubricity than the US. Others will pipe in. In the meantime a detailed check of services performed and parts replaced will help. Best wishes and keep us informed, please.

#4 ·
yeah the skimped. Must have not cleaned the lines well or the fuel was still contaminated. Don't you have the workorder for the last time it was in? Should be like 15 pages long. lol

They ****ed up and get to do it again right. If you can take to another dealer, do it. Mine took 2 months to fix on my T2.

#5 · (Edited)
Dealer obviously screwed up unless you're using bio diesel or piss or some bunk ass old fuel or something. Back in it goes for repair. Yes I'll take a loaner car, thank you.

#6 ·
Dealer obviously screwed up unless you're isn't bio diesel or some bunk ass old fuel or something. Back in it goes for repair. Yes I'll take a loaner car, thank you.
Good point, check where they fueled up and with what? Some dippo may have filled with gas, becareful though, they may blame you! ~ Biodiesel? Should not hurt it but not clear what you said. ;)

#7 ·
I should have said WVO not bio diesel my bad

Reactions: alfissimo
#8 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies, sadly I picked it up in the middle of the night from the dealer so no paperwork, but ill be talking to them tomorrow morning to see what they did. I am 100% sure I put clean ultra low sulphur diesel from a large shell that gets lots of traffic.

The fuel that caused the original problem was not contaminated either to my knowledge (I took some out and let it sit, didn't see any particles or separation).

I am tempted to take out the HPFP filter to see how much of a glitter bomb this is like I did last time, think its a good idea?

Ill get back to y'all with more details soon!

#9 ·
Honestly I wouldn't touch a thing. Back to the dealer for them to mess with. I just cannot believe you've been through two hpfp with zero foul play involved

Reactions: Mike in Anchorage
#11 ·
So what is the best diesel fuel dealers in Canada? I blame myself for not doing research about this problem, I just never thought I would own a vehicle where I had to second think about its fuel especially from large chains like petro shell esso etc...

@volkswagens-for-life

You're probably right I should not touch anything, but I am kinda curious to see....at this point I just cant help but laugh....>.<

#12 ·
Just stay away from Shell, try to fuel up at busy diesel gas stations to ensure fresh diesel. I fill up at truck stops or diesel stations that have filters on them but not all the time. Try to use a fuel lubricant as much as possible too. Stanadyne Performance Formula Diesel Fuel Additive 8oz

If you have access to Bio-diesel you can always use that depending on grade. B20 all day, b99, 1L per tank or when you can is good too. Keeps things lubed up.

Diesel sucks in NA.

Put fuel filter top back on and play dumb but not too dumb. ;)

#16 ·
I use Stanadyne Lubricity Formula. Supposedly has 5x the lubricity additives of any other Standyne additive. I use it because our fuel is pretty much straight #1 diesel for 4- 5 months of the year. Depending on how far north in CA you are, you may also have a pretty high percentage of #1 diesel during the winter months.

#20 ·
I was using Shell when mine went out. I decided to go back to what I was using when I first bought my TDI, I am using Chevron Diesel in mine. I used it for years up until I moved back to PA from UT. PA did not have Chevrons there so I used what was at their local convenience stores. I made up my mind after I got mine back that is all I am using anymore.

Reactions: alfissimo
#21 ·
I use Chevron as well but now I have a card lock, so I can use all the professional filling stations, typically with no one at them. All of them have at least a 30 micron filter on them and are super clean and careful as if their fuel screws up a diesel engine in a semi, that's big bucks. I can fill up anywhere across the nation. If you have the means I highly
picking one up. ;)

#22 ·
After you did the emissions fix? Do you think this is what actually caused all your problems to begin with? Everything seems to be working so much harder on my 2015 Touareg TDI. I actually have a whining noise coming from somewhere and it's going back into the dealer tomorrow for them to look at. My whining noise seems to be changing with the transmission though. What were your symptoms before? Besides the obvious like going into limp mode... was it making any noises or whining since the emissions fix? They really screwed these vehicles and owners over with that emissions fix.

#23 · (Edited)
Sorry for the HPFP failures!! It's something that hasn't happened to me yet. Make it the dealers problem! Keep all your fueling receipts so it shows you have been fueling with diesel.

Others are already recommending diesel fuel brands to use or avoid, and I won't bother making any recommendations one way or the other, but below is what I have been doing.

My 7+ years with my Touareg TDI since new had been almost exclusively from a local Citgo station with "GENERIC" diesel which is "Not less than 40 Cetane rating", LOL. It's right on the pump. GENERIC. Even they don't know what it is. I always add about 6-8 ounces of Diesel Kleen additive to every tank before filling (usually 3/4 tank, about 16-18 gallons every other week).
Is the Diesel Kleen "snake oil", I do not know. But no failures yet. For about $1.00 per tank, no harm.

I did use Stanadyne Performance for a month or two when the Touareg was brand new, BUT it is WAY to expensive to use on a regular basis. Diesel is already the most expensive fuel here. I buy the large bottle, 80 ounces I think, of Diesel Keel, and use a funnel and two empty Stanadyne bottles in rotation. I always keep a bottle in the car, ready for the next fill up.

#24 ·
Just use a lubricity additive. I use power service, available widely, I'm on my 4th TDI with no issues. Any good lubricity additive will solve most of these issues as long as you don't put in gas instead of diesel. No HPFP will go out because of which fuel Co you use, this was a screw up by the dealer. I'll bet they didn't change out all the pipping in the system and leftover crap did the pump in again. My ddiesels have an accumulated 200,000 miles with no pump problems. Now I've jinxed myself,damm.

#26 ·
Hey guys,

So sorry for the delayed responses... x.x

@Bracus The only issues I had before this was random power loss for a split second but it was so rare (every 500km+) and I guess it was sluggish on acceleration after 130~ compared to the 200km I drove it after it was "fixed" and before it blew again.... z.z

@alfissimo We do have card locks here, in Canada but sadly where I live its just gas stations. I calculated it would be 4/cents a liter to add what you recommended so I see no harm with it.

@tadpole I did check what I could and they did change all the high pressure piping in the engine bay and I believe the wiring to all the injectors, new fuel filter (Housing kinda looked clean but don't think they replaced it ~ there was mention of a "gas distributor" I think they meant fuel).....Back seat was played with so perhaps they swapped the fuel pump in the tank and the tank?

Off the topic / Update

If they do try and say it was just some leftovers don't worry its normal, or something on those lines....What do I say?

Dropped it off today no issues, was given a 2020 Tiguan....Side note was getting 8.2L/100km or 28.6847MPG in the Tuareg...this thing is 8.4L/100km or 28.0017MPG

Also the fuel mileage after getting it back before it blew up again was also WAY up about 15%.... though normal today driving it back but last 2 starts where long...

#28 ·
The correct way to fix it is to replace the entire fuel system. I would request a detailed copy of the work done in order to ensure that. When I say entire, I mean pump, lines, injectors, fuel tank, etc.

If it was warranty, it seems weird that they didn't do all that since they would get to charge VW. Unless they took the coin for allegedly doing it and then just cut corners on the work, which might be possible but I would hope there's some checks in place to limit such a possibility.

The flakes you've found could be from a 2nd failure or residue from the first butcher repair.

#30 ·
Depending on how the original failure happened, and when it was detected, several things should've been done..... for example:

Service Manual said:
Step 3 (Shavings in Fuel Delivery Unit
and Fuel Tank)
– Clean the fuel delivery unit and the fuel tank with the -
VAS5226- .
– Install the fuel delivery unit. Refer to
⇒ “3.2 Fuel Delivery Unit/Fuel Level Sensor, Removing and
Installing”, page 28 .
– Fill the fuel tank with five liters of diesel fuel.
– Drain the fuel tank again completely as described above.
– Replace the following high pressure components:
Touareg 2010 ➤ , Touareg 2015 ➤
Fuel Supply - Diesel Engines - Edition 12.2017
10 Rep. Gr.20 - Fuel Supply
♦ High pressure pump. Refer to ⇒ Rep. Gr. 23 ; High Pressure
Pump; High Pressure Pump, Removing and Installing .
♦ High pressure lines. Refer to ⇒ Rep. Gr. 23 ; Fuel Injectors/
High Pressure Reservoir (Rail); High Pressure Lines, Removing
and Installing .
♦ High pressure reservoir (rail) including Fuel Pressure Regulator
Valve - N276- and Fuel Pressure Sensor - G247- . Refer
to ⇒ Rep. Gr. 23 ; Fuel Injectors/High Pressure Reservoir
(Rail); High Pressure Reservoir (Rail), Removing and Installing
♦ Injector. Refer to ⇒ Rep. Gr. 23 ; Fuel Injectors/High Pressure
Reservoir (Rail); Fuel Injectors, Removing and Installing .
♦ Fuel return lines (overflow oil lines). Refer to ⇒ Rep. Gr. 23 ;
Fuel Injection System; Overview - Fuel Injection System
♦ Fuel filter. Refer to ⇒ “5 Fuel Filter”, page 35 .
– Fuel the vehicle.
– Bleed the fuel system. Refer to ⇒ Rep. Gr. 23 ; Fuel Injection
System; Fuel System, Filling and Bleeding .
– Perform a road test.

#33 ·
Sorry tutz, but it's not me that wants to know your engine and pump code.... that's useless info

As for the person claiming that not using VCDS to prime the system after a filter change on the 2L, I can show him my 2010 Jetta that I've had since new and I still drive daily, which has over 270k on the clock, and has never seen a mechanic.... I've never once used VCDS after changing its filter, and it is still on the original HPFP (the same crap design that everyone blames).

I've said this many times.... use fuel from a high turn over station, change your filter regularly, open your eyes when you do, keep your canister clean, and use a lubricity additive to help the system out..... eventually, they will all wear out and need replacement, but taking these few actions can extend the system's lifespan.

Lots of people will actually tell you to also not run your tank down to below 1/4, which is another thing I ignore on EVERY SINGLE TANK..... but I can understand the theory behind it, and can't say that it would hurt anything if you followed that advice.

Your new failure is due to a butcher of a dealer who obviously cut corners during the repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.