Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently during several drives I've had some warning lights and alerts while driving. What typically happens is first I get a warning message and tone about the ABS not working, followed by a notification regarding a Electronic Stability Control Fault, then a message about the Adaptive Headlight system not functioning. Sometimes the sequence also includes a message about a parking brake fault. After a few minutes all of the notifications and warning lights disappear. A couple of times these messages followed me hitting a decent bump on the road, but other times I'm driving along smooth roads and the sequence starts with lights and warning tones.

Any ideas?? ABS control module, faulty ABS sensor? Why does this also bring up a warning message about the adaptive headlights?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Is the battery still the original one?
As well as a scan for codes with VCDS get the battery tested. The electronics in modern cars are very sensitive to the correct voltage etc and four years would be about the usual time for a battery replacement.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
In the past, the factory fitted battery in Touaregs has been good for 7 years and more so I think it's unlikely to be that, but, as above, it's easy enough to run a quick and simple test on it to see if the charging rate is right and the cells are all good.

I'd think it is more likely to be a poorly fitting/loose connector block somewhere and that could be tricky to track down until the lights stay on for good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same thing, one ABS sensor turned out to be bad. Have it fixed soon, as it may impact other systems. In my case cruise control stopped working too after a while and the AC did not come on after I had a break during a recent trip. You can order the sensor online and change it yourself (saves you 150 bucks) if you or your shop find out which one it is. Once the AC is "offline" you may need the shop reset the CAN bus communication.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since these errors include one regarding the Adaptive Headlights also not functioning does that narrow this down to possibly being a bad sensor on one of the front wheels? Just thinking that a bad sensor on the rear wheels should have nothing to do with the adaptive headlight controls...

As for the battery yes I believe it's still the original. I will have it tested. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
2 Posts
For me it was the left rear sensor and I still also had the adaptive lights issue warning. I think this is all related to CAN communication, priorities and timing of messages etc. (I'm not enough expert to understand details)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For me it was the left rear sensor and I still also had the adaptive lights issue warning. I think this is all related to CAN communication, priorities and timing of messages etc. (I'm not enough expert to understand details)
That's true...and I also get the parking brake warning so that would be the back left wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guy, I have a 2012 TDI that's doing the exact same thing. Just installed a brand new battery and still having the issue. Based on my searches, it looks like maybe a ABS control module of a rear wheel senor. Any updates on this? Any advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just got the same thing on a 2012 tdi.. adblue gauge also stuck at 300 miles even tho it’s full.. for a appointment with the stealership, thankfully my brother works there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts