Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I think the adaptive/cornering xenon lights of the Touareg looks a bit yellowish and faded.
Ive been reading a lot about Audi owners cleaning tier projector lenses and having a great improvement were new bulbs is not a fix.

The Touareg has done 85000km and I guess the xenon bulbs never have been changed. Been thinking about replacing them with new Osram Xenarc Nightbraker unlimited(4300k) or Nightbraker blue intense (5500k)

Have anyone here cleaned the projector lenses or have any tips?
The lights housing plastic on the outside is in really good condition.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hello!

I think the adaptive/cornering xenon lights of the Touareg looks a bit yellowish and faded.
Ive been reading a lot about Audi owners cleaning tier projector lenses and having a great improvement were new bulbs is not a fix.

The Touareg has done 85000km and I guess the xenon bulbs never have been changed. Been thinking about replacing them with new Osram Xenarc Nightbraker unlimited(4300k) or Nightbraker blue intense (5500k)

I'd start with new bulbs. Same wattage, same color temp. On many of these cars, the reflective surface of the projector is pretty fragile and will come apart if you try to clean it...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Change your bulbs.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I didn't think it was that bad. There are 2 torx screws on the upper right and left side of the bulb cover on the back of the headlight. The drivers side can be done in about 5 mins without removing any other pieces except the bulb cover. The passenger side does take longer. You need to remove the intake upper cover and disconnect it from the maf. Then remove the lower portion which is connected to a tube down to the fender and there are a couple rubber grommets holding the bottom of that in place. Once you have the intake out then it's just like the other side.

It shouldn't take more than an hour to knock it out. Look at the owners manual for the halogen headlight bulb replacement procedure. It will give you a good idea of what you need to do.

Reactions: BenTDI

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm big on having the best night vision that I can have.

While I have 48,000 miles on my T3 now, l'm not sure I have many hours night-driving, still, I value night vision only second to traction/having good tires.

It is a DS3 bulb like in the link you posted philthyphil?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I'm big on having the best night vision that I can have.

While I have 48,000 miles on my T3 now, l'm not sure I have many hours night-driving, still, I value night vision only second to traction/having good tires.

It is a DS3 bulb like in the link you posted philthyphil?
Yes D3S bulb.
Check for reviews and make sure the bulbs are OEM! There are online resellers on sites like ebay that sells fake bulbs in OEM like packages.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Ok maybe there is time for a bulb change then.
I would still like to clear the lens, not the reflector.

refering to his thread: 55 Plate Projector Lens Dirty
I think it is highly unlikely your lenses or your reflectors are dirty as they are in a sealed unit.

I'd just change the bulbs first.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Hello!

Being such a new vehicle I doubt you need to clean anything. That said, off-gassing can create a foggy film on the inside of the unit. But Not sure it's worth taking apart to clean. You could remove it and use a little distilled water and vinegar to clean it. Can you take pics of what you are talking about? I'd replace the HID capsules. Osrams are nice, Philips are nice. I prefer the lower 4300K over the 5000K+. I just installed Philips Xtremevision, 50+, they are ok. I think that due to them being higher in the kelvin temp range, white/blue, it's harder to see at night. I really think the Osram is better. I am now becoming an Osram dealer so if you're interested I can get new HID capsules.

OSRAM XENARC NIGHT BREAKER Xenon bulbs D3S 4052899340664 $79.85 each Retail : $284
If you really want coolblue, same price
Original Osram units: $59.50 each
All 100% genuine. I don't sell crap! :)

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,436 Posts
And the fake bulbs are junk. Just don't...

The bulbs dim after a few years. I am always amazed how much brighter they replacements are.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Never ever buy bulbs off ebay. Fake bulbs are made in china and they are fraudulent to the companies that make the real deal. A true Osram and or Philips (Narva and others) will have codes that you can check the authenticity of the product on their website.

HID dims after many hours of use. New ones will fix the issue.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Never ever buy bulbs off ebay. Fake bulbs are made in china and they are fraudulent to the companies that make the real deal. A true Osram and or Philips (Narva and others) will have codes that you can check the authenticity of the product on their website.

HID dims after many hours of use. New ones will fix the issue unless of course the reflector is damaged.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts