Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my first post!!

I am about to plunge into the ownership of a Touareg!! I love them, have always wanted one and finally have the means to do so!

So here is my dilemma, I am weighing value and need, NEED help! Here are my options:

Option 1: 2012 TDI sport w/ Nav 44,000 miles. Gun metal Greg, leatherette, standard features priced at $30,000 (can negotiate to $28,000).

Option 2: 2012 VR6 Executive 56,000 miles. Black on black leather, sun roof, full executive package, roof rails. $23,000 can probably get it for $22,000.

I test drove a 2016 sport w/ nav VR6 with lane assist and the power was good. Then I got into that exact TDI and the power and ride was nice and felt good (who doesn't love torque?) Haven't been able to drive an executive, but I love leather, and back up can, and sun roofs, and heated rear seats... But I love the diesel too!

Please help an enthusiast and value buyer out!

Thanks in advance guys, and it feels great to join the forums!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Do you plan on towing? If not, the TDI is a lot less vehicle for a lot more money.

Obviously the TDI is more powerful and will get better fuel economy, but $6,000 buys a lot of fuel (not to mention the difference in features/options between the Sport and Exec).

Off the top of my head, I believe the differences between sport and Executive are: 20" wheels, massive panoramic sunroof, heated steering wheel, 4 zone climate control, heated rear seats, backup camera (double check the 2012 has it, there was a window in time where the cameras were unavailable for production and not included), leather, navigation(? not all sports have it), memory driver's seat, electronic rear seat release, keyless start, upgraded audio, and possibly something else I miseed

I'm not sure if the VR6 has it's own set of issues or not, but you wouldn't have to worry about catastrophic fuel pump failure ($10-15k, but now covered up to 75k(?) miles), AdBlue heater issues not covered under the emissions warranty ($1k), and any potential fallout from Dieselgate.

I have a TDI, and I don't tow. I purchased my 2011 TDI Lux a little over a year ago. At the time it was one of the cheapest TDI's in the country and in excellent condition. The price difference between a VR6 Lux and a TDI Lux was ~$3k. With the amount of driving that I do (and the opportunity to go from 13mpg from my Xterra to almost 30mpg), the difference seemed reasonable. I also assumed the TDI would hold its value better, although the value has dropper significantly in recent months. Thanks Volkswagen!

As you can tell, my opinion very strongly favors the VR6. In this case the premium price the the TDI with fewer features doesn't seem reasonable.

·
Registered
960 Posts
If you don't get option 2, PM me give me the location I will toss ya a 100 if I buy it. I have a TDI already wife drives little so the gasser would be a better fit. They are all nice.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It is a VR6 engine, I have also heard it referred as a "W6" because it is almost an inline 6 design with each cylinder being offset slightly off center.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VR6_engine

About 18 months ago we bought a 2011 VR6 Lux and since we do not tow and the same model with TDI was about $4 to $5K more we opted for VR6, don't regret the decision at all.

You will enjoy the luxury of the interior way more than you will miss the torque of the TDI.

The VR6 sounds great when you get the revs up!

Reactions: e90diesel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Called that dealership first thing in the morning, and it was gone. Found a 2012 exec TDI with 55k , but the leather was heavily worn and body had small scratches (was a corporate vehicle) so I opted for the 44k sport w/ nav TDI. Owner was 76 year old woman who loved the look and mileage of it.

Hopefully no issue with the fuel pump. Looking at getting an additive for the diesel in the cold winters up here in northern new York.

I wish the vr6 was available, but I am happy with this beast (I own a car trailer, not that I need to tow vehicles with the treg, but I could which is nice) plus I drive about 400 miles a week, and mileage will be nice.

Thank you everyone for the input, I appreciate it and couldn't be happier to be part of the community!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts