Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone!
First timer here, and doubt this will be my last visit.

Just because i am constantly under my Jeep, my friend decided that i am a "go to" for his Touareg needs.
What i am looking for is an oem navigation system for his 2012.

During my googling, i came to a conclusion that RNS850 is what i need, am i correct?
Navigation, is it in the display or is it in the radio component that goes behind the screen? Ebay results show me either this or that.
Does it have a specific part number? Is there a specific go to distributor you all use?
Does it need special antenna?

Has anyone replaced it with something from aftermarket, and defiantly recommends it over the oem?

Has this topic been beat to death? Id hate to waste everyone time, give me links or recommend best way to navigate your website to find resources.
Is there a service manual floating around here?

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,000 Posts
Navigation should've been standard on his 2012.

If for some reason he does not have OEM navigation, he'll need the main brain that's in the glove box, several antennas, access to someone with an Online GEKO account and ODIS to remove the component protection from the swapped parts (or visit the dealer, if they'll even perform such a task), VCDS or ODIS to perform coding changes, etc.

·
Registered
2017 (MY2018) V6 TDI - Deep Black Pearlescent
307 Posts
@easbloc ..

Welcome to the Touareg forums
Yes this is a popular topic, there are lots of threads on the topic on this forum.
mostly because the Touareg RNS850 standard system uses proprietary navigation system and does not support google interface or maps.
VW map updates are super expensive and not necessarily very current.
(although in America you may have better access to VW updates)

Popular plugin systems that provide add on Google map android interface are;

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply.
Definitely a bit more complex than i have expected.

So turns out that he has a 2011 and not 2012, and instead of RNS850 as standard, it looks like he has previous RNS510 version without navigation. Probably assembly with left over parts for Eastern European market.
I was able to find guys that will be able flash component to prevent any compatibility issues, now the fun of sourcing components begins.
I have also reached out to a few aftermarket makers asking them what exactly they need for their units to full functions. Seems like they all replace the screen, but do they rely on the audio and navigation components at all?

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,380 Posts
RNS = Radio NAVIGATION System

2011 model will just have the touch screen Radio/Media head unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts