Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we just purchased a 2012 Touareg and it only came with one key. The dealership wants $355 to order and program a new key, has anyone had luck with anyone other than VW coding a new key?

TIA

·
Super Moderator
9,691 Posts
Your only option really is the dealer.

·
Registered
682 Posts
You can do it yourself. Though you have to get the right software and cable. To buy stuff for 1 time use would be a waste...

Dealers also DO NOT like(refuse) to cut or program ebay keys. But they will charge you the same.

Save yourself a big headache and shell out at dealer.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You can only program key to start your car through the dealer, it has to do with linking key to the immobilizer to allow car to start and this is done with a secure link to a VW Server that can only be done through a VW Dealer.

This seems like a PIA but it keeps your car from getting stolen easily and your current key and new key will both be re-coded at the same time to your immobilizer.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Something came up at my local locksmith the other day. I was getting a new key blank cut to match the old one in my original switchblade fob. [I had purchased anew empty Touareg case on ebay and intended to put the new blank in with the old electronics in the new case.] While he was cutting the blank the locksmith told me that their shop would be getting a new computer system and would be able to program me a spare key when it came in.
Since I have never had a spare key that sounded interesting but I haven't followed up since.
The way he talked it sounded like he has/will have a way but in my mind that remains to be seen.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
If the 'spare' key properly controls the keyless entry and the remote lock/unlock and alarm functions I really don't care what they call it. "clone" works for me!

·
Registered
682 Posts
You can only program key to start your car through the dealer, it has to do with linking key to the immobilizer to allow car to start and this is done with a secure link to a VW Server that can only be done through a VW Dealer.

This seems like a PIA but it keeps your car from getting stolen easily and your current key and new key will both be re-coded at the same time to your immobilizer.
Nope, I can make a key if need be. Though I do not have sidewinder cutter for the blade.

Ok here is the can of worms: NefMoto ECU Flashing Software - Nefmoto

>:)

·
Super Moderator
9,691 Posts

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Some locksmiths here in Europe have access to the VW key coding site and can make plain keys [these only insert into locks] and remote "plipper" keys that work just fine.

Yes, if there are locksmiths elsewhere who can access the VW site you will save some cash, but the dealer is probably your best bet since you will get a key that works first time . . . hopefully!

You may find dealers offer the same key service but for less money. Call around.

Do NOT delay getting that second key - it gets expensive if you lose the single key you already have as others have discovered.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Supposedly VW hold this information for very limited distribution and sent to VW dealers when programming keys through a secure link.

With the B5 and MKIV you have keys that get cut for the lock cylinder, you can test that new key by inserting into the steering column lock cylinder and turning to start car, those cars will start for about 2 seconds and die because immobilizer does not recognize the key. I can cut as many keys as I wanted for these cars but none will work unless immobilizer programmed for that key.

The only way to prevent a key fob from one T3 working in another T3 is the coding in the key fob chip that is recognized by the immobilizer and either letting engine run after turned in dash slot or killing the engine.

I hope what I believe/been told about programming VW keys is true, makes it really hard for someone to steal my Touareg and other VW's without showing proof of ownership to the VW dealer.

Yes, my VW dealer asks for your title if they don't know you and you tow your VW into their dealership to purchase new keys and have them programmed.

According to Ross-Tech in 2005 VW stopped giving out Secret Key Code for programming key to unlock vehicle immobilizer

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Nope, I can make a key if need be. Though I do not have sidewinder cutter for the blade.

Ok here is the can of worms: NefMoto ECU Flashing Software - Nefmoto

>:)
The issue may not just be the engine and the immobilizer. For my Touareg the remote on the key controls the lock/unlock functions via the button. In addition, the remote communicates with the Kessy and allows a push on the door handle button to lock the car and, when locked and the handle is pulled and the fob is present, the doors are unlocked and the handle opens the door. These functions have nothing to do with the ECU which, of course, must be energized from the switch (or button if it is keyless start) before anything happens to make the engine go 'round.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Ok I'll explain keys in detail.

There is three parts to a key.

1. The key blade for mechanical locks. (Sidewinder cut)
2. FOB For locking/unlocking. (Programmed by VCDS or done manually with 2 keys)
3. RFID passive/active (matched to ECU/Immobilizer embedded in dash.)

Now you have a complete "key/remote".

They only thing preventing it from being super easy is the "KEY/PIN" needs to be retrieved from immo.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ok I'll explain keys in detail.

There is three parts to a key.

1. The key blade for mechanical locks. (Sidewinder cut)
2. FOB For locking/unlocking. (Programmed by VCDS or done manually with 2 keys)
3. RFID passive/active (matched to ECU/Immobilizer embedded in dash.)

Now you have a complete "key/remote".

They only thing preventing it from being super easy is the "KEY/PIN" needs to be retrieved from immo.
I guess my terminology was wrong for which I apologize, my previous posts were referring to the RFID part and according to my VW Dealer it can no longer be retrieved from the car via software and has to be sent to them from VW after they provide them detailed information.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I guess my terminology was wrong for which I apologize, my previous posts were referring to the RFID part and according to my VW Dealer it can no longer be retrieved from the car via software and has to be sent to them from VW after they provide them detailed information.

It's been like that since early 2000. A guy with a cable can retrieve it, but VW has to go through all kinds of procedures now. :nerd:

·
Registered
419 Posts
It's been like that since early 2000. A guy with a cable can retrieve it, but VW has to go through all kinds of procedures now. :nerd:
Pretty sure that information is now blocked from any access by anyone connected to vehicle with a "cable" including VW service people, the link below is from Ross-Tech website and they now what they are doing when it comes to software for VW and Audi's

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Immobilizer 3 Key Matching
Ross-Tech: FAQ Page 4
4.15 How do I obtain an SKC for Immobilizer and Key-Matching functions?
We do not know of any way to retrieve an SKC for VW/Audi/SEAT/Skoda vehicles. Prior to 2002, some vehicles were delivered with a scratch-off panel on a plastic tag that contained the 4 digit PIN code. Starting in 2002, dealerships implemented the WIN2 system to provide SKC's to their technicians and customers. Starting April 1, 2005, VW/Audi dealerships switched to the new GEKO system, whereby their factory scan tools dial up the factory while connected to a car. Under this system, the technician no longer sees the SKC at all and you will need to bring your vehicle into the dealer to have Immobilizer work performed. VCDS does not interact with the GEKO system. Check out our Immobilizer Page for more information and procedures.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Pretty sure that information is now blocked from any access by anyone connected to vehicle with a "cable" including VW service people, the link below is from Ross-Tech website and they now what they are doing when it comes to software for VW and Audi's

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Immobilizer 3 Key Matching
Ross-Tech: FAQ Page 4
4.15 How do I obtain an SKC for Immobilizer and Key-Matching functions?
We do not know of any way to retrieve an SKC for VW/Audi/SEAT/Skoda vehicles. Prior to 2002, some vehicles were delivered with a scratch-off panel on a plastic tag that contained the 4 digit PIN code. Starting in 2002, dealerships implemented the WIN2 system to provide SKC's to their technicians and customers. Starting April 1, 2005, VW/Audi dealerships switched to the new GEKO system, whereby their factory scan tools dial up the factory while connected to a car. Under this system, the technician no longer sees the SKC at all and you will need to bring your vehicle into the dealer to have Immobilizer work performed. VCDS does not interact with the GEKO system. Check out our Immobilizer Page for more information and procedures.
True, you can not with VCDS. Never said it could. :nerd:

But you can with a cheep cable or "start box" ranging from $50 to $5000. SKC are not obtained from the dealer "proxy" via the car, VW retrieves from Wolfsburg database. You can retrive from car with right cable & software.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts