Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Hybrid's coolant reservoir is not holding fluid. We can see the fluid leaking out but can't determine the actual location of the leak. I've taken it to my local mechanic who would have to charge $850 just to remove parts to look for the leak. If we fill the reservoir tank and let the car idle, we can hear a flushing sound coming from the engine area.

This is my first Touareg, I've had it 2 months and it only has 66k miles on it. No other issues thus far. It has had all of it's mileage services.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what this could be (praying for a coolant hose leak!) or what is the average cost to diagnose the problem?

If pictures would help I can upload them later.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Tough one. Somehow you have to eyeball the leak and may have to take stuff out. My 2011 Hybrid developed a coolant leak from one of the valves way in the back of the engine. It was an expensive 8 hr job. Hopefully it’s not something expensive for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding @fleabag!

I talked to the service center yesterday. Unfortunately, they said they have not worked on many hybrid touaregs (and by "not many" they mean 1 to 2) so they are kind of going in blind...

They decided a top tear down to try to find / access the leak was our best option. They said it should take <6 hours. If they can't find it / access it from there, it will require them to take the entire hybrid engine out....so! Really hoping the top tear down works...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Good luck! The Hybrid uses additional cooling for the power electronics (inverter) and maybe some other components so it's not a standard touareg cooling system.

2016 Volkswagen Touareg Europe market: Engine Coolant cooling system 3.0ltr. hybrid 6-cylinder+ petrol eng.+ CGEA,CGFA

See # 85 in that link? You don't want that to go out on you, its an $8k fix. (ask me how I know)... Lucky for me its an emission item and has a longer warranty :grin2:

Thanks for responding @fleabag!

I talked to the service center yesterday. Unfortunately, they said they have not worked on many hybrid touaregs (and by "not many" they mean 1 to 2) so they are kind of going in blind...

They decided a top tear down to try to find / access the leak was our best option. They said it should take <6 hours. If they can't find it / access it from there, it will require them to take the entire hybrid engine out....so! Really hoping the top tear down works...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$8k! Okay yea...I really don't need that to be the issue...

PS I found the hybrid only thread on this forum so I'm going to copy our conversation there in (the unfortunate) case other people run into the same issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey @fleabag!

They've said it's the "Coolant Shut Off Valve". Quote is :$140 for parts ($993 parts and labor pre tax).

I attempted to find the coolant shut off valve online to compare pricing but wasn't able to find the piece anywhere.

Do you have any insight?

Thanks for all your help thus far!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
There are two valves. Should replace both since they are in there anyway.

One was 73.50 the other was 140.
Labor was 1200

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the product # - 7p0-122-073-b

So I guess this is $80 for one and they would not automatically replace both?

He's quoted me $992 for labor and $157 for the parts. They also just did a top tear down and removed the engine and supercharger, are they going to have to do this again hence the high labor cost??

·
Registered
315 Posts
They removed the engine??

Mine was replaced without removing the engine but plenty of parts had to be removed that’s way it’s an all day job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh sorry he removed the supercharger and inspected the engine. So there are more parts to remove to get to the valve?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don’t know exactly what needs to be removed but they are apparently buried in the back of the engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts