Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have both keys. The one key wouldn't light up so I replaced with known good battery (shows 2.9v). Any other tricks anyone knows?

I can replace the guts with one of those cheap setups sold online and transfer over any pill/transponder stuff or does this sound like the expensive visit to the dealer? Assuming VCDS cannot assist with signing keys...

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,156 Posts
A few things about your post don't sit right with me.
The one key won't light up so you replaced the battery with a known good one. Was it a new battery? These are 3v batteries and usually new ones measure slightly higher than 3v with no load.
You can replace the guts with one of those cheap ones found online? Do you mean replace the shell? If so this will most likely do nothing for you.

My suggestion is this. First try an actual new quality battery, this is usually the most common cause.
If that doesn't work, and assuming you know and can take the FOB apart without destroying it, you could try cleaning the back of the touch pad with isopropyl alcohol to remove any deposits. Also clean the board button contact areas with a pencil eraser. If you have/get the FOB apart you might want to check the board and make sure it's not cracked, possibly from dropping the FOB.

The only caution I can give you on this is be careful when taking the FOB apart because the internal pivot pieces for the emergency key release button like to fall out. It takes knowledge of how it mounts to get that working correctly again. Best of luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few things about your post don't sit right with me.
The one key won't light up so you replaced the battery with a known good one. Was it a new battery? These are 3v batteries and usually new ones measure slightly higher than 3v with no load.
You can replace the guts with one of those cheap ones found online? Do you mean replace the shell? If so this will most likely do nothing for you.

My suggestion is this. First try an actual new quality battery, this is usually the most common cause.
If that doesn't work, and assuming you know and can take the FOB apart without destroying it, you could try cleaning the back of the touch pad with isopropyl alcohol to remove any deposits. Also clean the board button contact areas with a pencil eraser. If you have/get the FOB apart you might want to check the board and make sure it's not cracked, possibly from dropping the FOB.

The only caution I can give you on this is be careful when taking the FOB apart because the internal pivot pieces for the emergency key release button like to fall out. It takes knowledge of how it mounts to get that working correctly again. Best of luck and let us know what you find.
Thanks for the comments and you concerns!

My question about swapping guts is based on the theory that there is two separate components inside as I had seen in other vehicles. One that talks to the transponder to allow security things to happen and then just the guts that allow electronic things to happen.

The battery that came out was at 0.5v which is crazy low. I'll give your theory a try on the battery battery but I would think 2.9v out of 3.x+ should be enough for at least a flash of the light even if not operation of the behaviors so I see a deep dive on the internals in my future too!

What numbers are we hearing these days on replacement fobs as my wife cannot be trusted with only one in the house. She has a terrible history of losing very expensive keys.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,156 Posts
Thanks for the comments and you concerns!

My question about swapping guts is based on the theory that there is two separate components inside as I had seen in other vehicles. One that talks to the transponder to allow security things to happen and then just the guts that allow electronic things to happen.

The battery that came out was at 0.5v which is crazy low. I'll give your theory a try on the battery battery but I would think 2.9v out of 3.x+ should be enough for at least a flash of the light even if not operation of the behaviors so I see a deep dive on the internals in my future too!

What numbers are we hearing these days on replacement fobs as my wife cannot be trusted with only one in the house. She has a terrible history of losing very expensive keys.
For my '11 Key FOB the internals is all one board.
As far as price check out the link below. That is just for the FOB w/emergency key which you would provide them with your VIN# and they will send the FOB w/the emergency key pre-cut for your vehicle.
You would then need to get the FOB programmed for your vehicle at either the dealership or someone with the proper hardware/software. I paid something like $125 or so from the dealership to program the FOB.

Link >>> 2012 Volkswagen Touareg Keyless Entry Transmitter - 7P6959754ARIRZ - Genuine Volkswagen Part

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'll be darned. Don't have any photos of taking it apart but I put some alcohol on a swap and cleaned up the inside contact points for the battery and also tried another battery and got it to flash. New battery is coming in at 3.1v so maybe that the different...who knows.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For my '11 Key FOB the internals is all one board.
As far as price check out the link below. That is just for the FOB w/emergency key which you would provide them with your VIN# and they will send the FOB w/the emergency key pre-cut for your vehicle.
You would then need to get the FOB programmed for your vehicle at either the dealership or someone with the proper hardware/software. I paid something like $125 or so from the dealership to program the FOB.

Link >>> 2012 Volkswagen Touareg Keyless Entry Transmitter - 7P6959754ARIRZ - Genuine Volkswagen Part
Looks like we passed each other in posting as I just put up my success. That's a fair enough price on the transmitter and the program. I was hearing some dealers charging close to $500 for them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.