Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2012 3.0 TDI LUX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked it up yesterday from chicago area $12,500 out the door. 141,000 miles. It had new rear brakes and rotors. I just put on Blizzaks and new front brakes/rotors, fresh oil, topped up the adblue fluid, fuel filter, air filter, & cabin filter, and had the VW guys look it over. So far so good! The panoramic moon roof doesn't work, VW says its the motor. Its freezing cold so no hurry to fix it anyways. There was no wheel lock key so VW removed them. I'm running just 4 lugs until I drive 2 hours north to get the other lugs on order.

Ordered the Kerma Tune and will flash that badboy once I get the tuned file back.

So far.....I love it. Especially the MPG and it looks sexy AF. Really impressed. And still have 2.5 years left on the VW warranty.

It came with perelli scorpion verde plus with about 80% tread. The Blizzaks seem to ride much firmer. I think they're at 39psi so will drop them down to 36 and see if that makes it a bit softer.

Will be haulting a 5'x8' uhaul trailer in a week for 300 miles so will get to try that out.

One question....I do have the 6 disc changer/SD card stereo (and it is LOUD AF!). Can the display play movies??

Looking forward to learning from ya'll!!

Peace out.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The moonroof frames are a known but not common issue. It may need a new frame. Some owners have had this happen twice. Let's hope it is just the motor.

·
Registered
935 Posts
When you tow keep the rear tire pressure up to 45 LBS. fronts should be 35lbs. I tow boats often and like the firmness with the added weight of the trailer.
You will love the car for many reasons, I drive to FL every year and get close to 30MPG for the trips, 2 tanks of diesel 1500 miles.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Correction: HAD warranty until it was tuned

I've always had best handling and mpg results keeping front pressures at 38-40 and rears at 41-42

Blizzak, depending on which ones, are sporty riding winters so yes they handle decent

Reactions: DudeBuddy

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just picked it up yesterday from chicago area $12,500 out the door. 141,000 miles. It had new rear brakes and rotors. I just put on Blizzaks and new front brakes/rotors, fresh oil, topped up the adblue fluid, fuel filter, air filter, & cabin filter, and had the VW guys look it over. So far so good! The panoramic moon roof doesn't work, VW says its the motor. Its freezing cold so no hurry to fix it anyways. There was no wheel lock key so VW removed them. I'm running just 4 lugs until I drive 2 hours north to get the other lugs on order.

Ordered the Kerma Tune and will flash that badboy once I get the tuned file back.

So far.....I love it. Especially the MPG and it looks sexy AF. Really impressed. And still have 2.5 years left on the VW warranty.

It came with perelli scorpion verde plus with about 80% tread. The Blizzaks seem to ride much firmer. I think they're at 39psi so will drop them down to 36 and see if that makes it a bit softer.

Will be haulting a 5'x8' uhaul trailer in a week for 300 miles so will get to try that out.

One question....I do have the 6 disc changer/SD card stereo (and it is LOUD AF!). Can the display play movies??

Looking forward to learning from ya'll!!

Peace out.

View attachment 241817
Nice car looks to be in good condition & the best colour. Movies can be played off the SD card ripped then encoded M4v or play a DVD as normal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wouldn’t mess with tuning until your warranty is up like others have said. I did all you’ve done when I got my 2012 Treg, plus flushed and refilled power steering fluid, flushed and refilled brake fluid,(the old looked horrible, it was 50% water) drained and refilled both differentials and transfer case. I’m sure it was the first it was done. New Michelin cross climate tires and a 4 wheel alignment by my VW dealer. It is a awesome vehicle. I’m learning everything I can about mine. Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
2012 3.0 TDI LUX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice car looks to be in good condition & the best colour. Movies can be played off the SD card ripped then encoded M4v or play a DVD as normal.
Thanks! The tinted windows really makes it pop!

What forrmat for SD card? I tried exFAT but not dice. And do audio files need to be in root? Or can be in folders with album artwork, etc?

·
Registered
2012 3.0 TDI LUX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you tow keep the rear tire pressure up to 45 LBS. fronts should be 35lbs. I tow boats often and like the firmness with the added weight of the trailer.
You will love the car for many reasons, I drive to FL every year and get close to 30MPG for the trips, 2 tanks of diesel 1500 miles.
Even running winter tires Blizzaks in sub freezing temps? Thanks for the tip! It's just a 5'x8' enclosed trailer hauling moving some furniture maybe 2000lbs max.

·
Registered
2012 3.0 TDI LUX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So......I was missing a lugnut and the lug key.....luckily the VW dealer was able to pull them off so FIRESTONE could put on the blizzaks but they didn't have any of these particular lugs in stock..... So I had to drive with just 4 lugnuts for 2 hours to another dealer who could get the parts for me the next day (xmas eve(. On the way up the steering wheel and dash was vibrating pretty badly, but not so bad that I had to stop. I was worried the tires or alignment or suspension were fu^%&*.

Once I got the lugs at the other VW dealer and re-torqued them all to 133ftlbs, I continued my journey another 2.5hours to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, eh doncha know! Wow what a difference. NO vibration, not pulling left or right....felt like a brand new car.....

I did have the VW dealer diagnose the non-working pano moon roof. Just to say its a bad motor....Then when I was on the road I went to close the SHADE (which was working before the diagnostric).....but now the shade isn't even working!!! Where can I find how to manually close the SHADE to the moonroof? It's -0 here and that would really help keep the cold out....I saw something about removing the plastic doo-hicky thingy mickjobber on the ceiling and then can manually crank it? I can't find how to do it with all my search terms.....any help appreciated or pointed to right direction.

I haven't flashed the Kerma tune yet.......but I have dropped $700 on it......so flashing back to stock the dealer can still see that it's been modded??? I just sent the OG file to Kerma for the Tune file......so awaiting your feedback before flashing....the cows haven't left the barn just yet.

I was driving on black ice and then snow packed + powder roads + 5F + ice and man this thing handles like its on rails!! I took it slow until I hit the back roads to really test out the traction.....DAMN! Best vehicle I have ever driven...except I'm always fiddling with the settings and sh*t and still getting used to the features. For a 2012.............hot damn!

And I added Diesel Treatment on my last top up before the road trip for the cold weather (8oz for full tank while running) Power Something or another (White Bottle for <30F)....I had a bit of a burp & hickup when accelerating from a stop after the dealer visit......and now its gone and is running like a TOP.

I've been researching vehicles for a couple months and looks like I found a winner!!! Let it snow!!

And Merry Christmas everyone!

(super long egg nog post......)

·
Registered
2012 3.0 TDI LUX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn’t mess with tuning until your warranty is up like others have said. I did all you’ve done when I got my 2012 Treg, plus flushed and refilled power steering fluid, flushed and refilled brake fluid,(the old looked horrible, it was 50% water) drained and refilled both differentials and transfer case. I’m sure it was the first it was done. New Michelin cross climate tires and a 4 wheel alignment by my VW dealer. It is a awesome vehicle. I’m learning everything I can about mine. Good luck and welcome.
Thank you! They tested the power steering and other fluids for water and was A.O.K. so I took the dealer's word for it. I just dropped $12.5k on the car and another $2k on tires & the above maintenance items. I'll let it ride until spring. Merry Xmas!!

·
Registered
2012 3.0 TDI LUX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The moonroof frames are a known but not common issue. It may need a new frame. Some owners have had this happen twice. Let's hope it is just the motor.
Yeah they said it was the motor.....is that an easy DIY fix? The moon roof shade WAS working, but after the dealer diagnotic I can't operate anyting!

Maybe time to invest in a VAG-COM,,,

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
The ECU shows flash counts.
If you want the extended fix warranty don't risk getting flagged TD1

·
Registered
2012 3.0 TDI LUX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The ECU shows flash counts.
If you want the extended fix warranty don't risk getting flagged TD1
Has anyone on the forum been denied the warranty because of the ECU flash count? I'm willing to shake the dice I think. No risk, no reward! I could always slip the service manager a $100 and have him look the other way......

Thanks for everyone's replies and feedback!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has anyone on the forum been denied the warranty because of the ECU flash count? I'm willing to shake the dice I think. No risk, no reward! I could always slip the service manager a $100 and have him look the other way......

It’s your car, have at it. Please report your thoughts on the tune. Power? Mpg change, etc etc. Merry Christmas!!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The problem comes when the car goes badly wrong and it gets towed straight to the dealer without the opportunity for you to revert back to OEM.

But it's your car and your risk.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
888 Posts
I haven't flashed the Kerma tune yet.......but I have dropped $700 on it......so flashing back to stock the dealer can still see that it's been modded??? I just sent the OG file to Kerma for the Tune file......so awaiting your feedback before flashing....the cows haven't left the barn just yet.

Here is who you are dealing with.... Guess “slipping a hundred to look the other way is par for the course with this tuner. Also the EPA was in Salt Lake City. Look up Diesel Brothers...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Maybe I'm the odd ball.but I love my 2016 fixed ,it does everything I hoped it would do. I'm not screwing around with this machine. I've had 2 TREGs and both performed great.including towing and great mileage and no issues with any of the running gear,don't mess with something that works..

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Can't I flash back to stock and it's all good? KERMA TUNE
No. Dealership can see flash count is off.

Doesn't work that way. Volkswagen Germany will see the flash count doesn't match and deny service. Td1 does way over the local dealers head.

Research td1 rejections. They're everywhere.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts