Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all - I'm in the process of researching for a new family car (currently own two VW's- 125TDI Jetta and Mk6 Golf TSI) and I've narrowed it down to three cars including the 180TDI (4motion not 4xmotion) Touarag.

I'm more than satisfied with the specs and layout of the car however the area where I continue to hit a dead end is off-road capability and limitations. I've previously owned a 4WD with all the key ingredients ie LR transfer case, upgraded suspension etc, however the intention is not to use the car for "legitimate" off road working but rather the occasional bush trail and beach work (surfing and fishing). I live in SW West Australian where the majority of the terrain encountered are boggy sand tracks and the occasional rut.

Now I realise that there's no definitive answer to this question but I was hoping members could share their experiences and/or advice.

(I've tried to find related threads so as to not recycle the same question with no luck).

Oh...and be nice I'm new to the adventure that are online forums

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
thats easy, all your mates will tell you it is not a real 4x4, but the 4x4 awards for off road capability tell a different story when put up against cruiser,rangerover, Lr etc.
in a nutshell its a very capable off roader

·
Registered
2019 Launch Edition White Sunroof Innovision
248 Posts
The 2013 Comes with Air Suspension Standard, which I think was the Tregs biggest weakness off road " Ground Clearance" With the new 8 Speed gearbox and good torque numbers I don't think you would need to use Low range very often.

I bought the 4XMotion for off road and beach work, but on its first outing I was actually tying to get it bogged, so I could engage low range and diff locks, but even without letting the tyres down and stopping in soft sand was with very light pedal application able to pull out.

This is a very capable 4WD and after coming out of Pajero, Prado and Landcruiser I was a bit sceptical as to its ability.

The ability to lift the height so as not to drag in sand and tracks if ate up the beach. I really don't think the Low Range on its own is that important but more the fact you can lock centre and rear diffs when in trouble.

I have bought this to tow a 3T Caravan up the beach so decided to get 4XMotion, but now Air Susspension is standard I really think the standard 180 would be very capable and the biggest limitaion for Off Road will be the standard tyres.

·
Registered
2011 (MY12) V6 TDI180 4XMotion, 275,000km
251 Posts
I have only been required to use 4XMotion low range for those times when I needed to crawl over large rocks or crawl up/down steep, loose-rock climbs. Have never needed low range in sand - tried it once and found it far less useful than high range (M2/M3 gear). Treg strong torque at low revs is excellent.

Biggest limitation would have to be wading depth ... I go white knuckled when crossings exceed 400mm. Body is waterproof ... but I worry about water ingress into engine via air filter.

One issue with air suspension is that once you reach 70kph the system automatically lowers to on-road mode ... which is not much fun if driving on sandy tracks. You can lock the air suspension at off-road height ... but this has an interesting side effect at speeds above 70kph.

Might just be mine, but when air suspension is locked at off-road height and I exceed 70kph (after the MFD message "lock activated" appears) I lose all acceleration/power responsiveness. Press 'pedal to the metal' and no response. I reckon this is probably VW engineering wisdom (gone mad) that one must not exceed 70kph in off-road conditions.

Grateful if others with T3 air suspension could advise if they have same issue

·
Registered
248 Posts
Off Road Height

Martin,

Yes that is how it works. If you lock the height then car is speed limited whilst in Off Road height.

I agree would be better if this height or speed limit was changed to 100 KPH.

Speed limit on Beach I drive is 80 kms per hour and would prefer to be in Off Road height but have to change to comfort height.

I mentioned earlier it would be great if you could Lock the Diffs in Hi range as I find Hi range is normally better in sand. But would be good to lock the diffs.

·
Learner
5,359 Posts
Its fair to limit the stress on all linkages, shafts, bearings, etc that the different angles cause as a result of adjustable height, plus turning at the same speed with higher cg could cause issues......
Nonetheless it would be good if owners had the option to change the setting, try vagcom

·
Registered
617 Posts
DUBSTER, I feel what you want the vehicle for a 4motion would suffice. Have a read of the road test in 'overlander annual 2012'.

I drive my current Reg (no air susp) from Preston to Mylup at high tide without engaging any off road technology or lowering pressures. Just switch off ESP and power through.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome....exactly the type of information I was after...thanks to all for the responses.

The 2013 changes certainly make the 180tdi an attractive proposition (bi - xenon and air suspension). Whilst the air suspension wasn't on the radar the bi-xenon lights definitely were. I live in the country and had the lights optioned onto my wife's 125tdi Jetta and after having the car for two years I can honestly say it would be the first box I'd tick on any new car. The responses on my original post would suggest that the air suspension is definitely a requirement for effective off road work.

I work away from home for half the year so the car would mostly be driven by my wife who is about to pop out a new addition to the family. Working on the basis that majority of forum members are males how do the ladies like the 180 especially driving qualities and practicality.

The other two cars I am looking at is the Range Rover Evoque (140kw diesel) and the Volvo XC70

If the 180 I'm after is in country and I don't tick the sunroof option box then there's a good chance I won't have to wait six months...lol

·
Registered
248 Posts
Wifes View

My wife, loves the new Treg as it drives so smoothly and is car like the way it drives. She comments regularly that it doesn't feel as large as it is.

Compared to the other two vehicles you mentioned, the TREG without 4XMotion will still go so much further off road that teh others, but drive as good or better on road.

Unless you want a show car like the Evoque, the Treg in my opinion wins hands down.

·
Registered
209 Posts
... how do the ladies like the 180 especially driving qualities and practicality.

The other two cars I am looking at is the Range Rover Evoque (140kw diesel) and the Volvo XC70...
We had a XC60 previously. The XC70 is more squat, more like a standard station wagon and too low for my wife's preference, compared with the XC60. The XC60 was great and a hard act to follow.

Regarding comparison of the Treg and the XC60;
she prefers Treg for sitting up and overall view of the traffic,
she prefers XC60 for manoeuvrability around town and parking,
she prefers the larger Treg on the open road.

My views are similar, but I add that I prefer the Treg for towing grunt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Advice Needed on Touareg purchase

Hi, I am looking at purchasing another 4WD, (previously Landcruisers etc) but dont need anything as big or thirsty anymore. The Touareg ticks all the boxes for towing, on road performance etc but I still have a lingering doubt. We do take our vehicles on the beach, not just hard stuff but soft tracks as well and not having seen one of these perform on the beach Im worried it might not get me there and back, eg Moreton Island. Im considering the V6TDI 4XMotion but was wondering if anyone can help with some advise? This is the only thing holding me back at the moment.
Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi, I am looking at purchasing another 4WD, (previously Landcruisers etc) but dont need anything as big or thirsty anymore. The Touareg ticks all the boxes for towing, on road performance etc but I still have a lingering doubt. We do take our vehicles on the beach, not just hard stuff but soft tracks as well and not having seen one of these perform on the beach Im worried it might not get me there and back, eg Moreton Island. Im considering the V6TDI 4XMotion but was wondering if anyone can help with some advise? This is the only thing holding me back at the moment.
Thanks
Rowemac,

I have owned Pajero, Prado and 200 Landcruiser (Petrol) before and I can say the Touareg is by the far the best all round vehicle I have owned. Live on the Sunshine Coast so go up to DI and Rainbow regularly. As well as Fraser Island. As yet have not been bogged (without trying - See below) in the soft stuff. Very well geared, Good Torque and VERY economical.

I do reduce my tyres to about 20 psi. Provided you turn off traction control and lift Suspension to Off Road height so you don't turn into a sand plough, I have not seen any reason this is not as capable and more capable than previous 4WD. I too have Low Range, but tend on sand not to use it. Only time I have used is when I purposely bogged it in Very Soft Sand to see if locking the rear diff would assist, which it did and pulled out under very light accelerator.

Additionally it is fantastic tow vehicle. We have done 70K in this vehicle and about 20K towing close enough to a 3.5T van. The only slight limitation I have found is it has a Down weight of 280kg yet can tow 3.5T. I have always been told you need to have between 8% to 10 % of what you are towing so it is right on limit for our Van.

Currently towing van around Australia and are consistently getting 16 litres per 100 kms with the worst Days average being 18.5 litres per 100 towing into head wind heading south from Karumba.

Fell free to send me a PM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Rowemac,

Totally agree with pack horse, have a 2013 4xmotion and I took it up the beach at Kinkuna just below Bunderburg on the weekend. First time on the beach & was ****ting myself. I went with a Landcruiser Kakadu with $30 thou of bells & whistle added, a Hilux with a lift kit & big muddies & a navara with a lift kit & muddies. While they where airing down , I looked at the missus and she said just go for it through the deep rutted soft sand. Everyone said I should air down but didn't, turned the dial to offroad, turned off the traction control and hit the beach on a set of 20" pikes peak with 40 psi in the tyres and it just powered over everything. It was beautiful to see. Long story short , 4motion is more than adequate for beach driving.

cheers Ian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Touareg Offroad

Thanks for the responses folks. The places quoted are exactly the type of driving I have done (including Kinkuna Section - lovely part of our world) so its great to hear that this car will handle that with no problems.
Also good to hear that towing capability matches the write ups.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
79 Posts
My experience (with a relatively new vehicle) is all positive. I love it. We have yet to throw it into low range and really test it out off-road - it needs a few more km before I will do that. But everything I read here, and read elsewhere is all positive. Suggest you check out some YouTube videos from some of the on-line motoring shows from the US as well - in my experience they general only test the 4motion model off-road and pretty-much all say it's a lot more capable off-road than you might think it would be.

As for my wife, she is 5 foot 1, and was used to driving our Patrol until recently. Now the daily driver for her is our TDi Passat wagon, but she has taken like a fish to water driving the Treg.

Seat adjustment is fantastic - although even with the seat up as high as it can go, she cannot see the front of the vehicle. But as she says, as long as you are reasonably confident in your driving skills, it's not an issue. Overall, visibility is no issue.

She says it is a lovely vehicle to drive, quiet, responsive and she certainly has no issues when I chuck the keys to her for "her go" with the "beast". :)

Good luck!

Andrew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts