Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

In the past 4 months I have had particle filter warning light on twice, since I was no able to force regeneration in went on safe mode in just 30km or 40km and had to take it to a dealer, non VW has on both occasions I was on the road, and they were able to force a regen on the shop.

I have a 2011 V6 Tdi bluemotion automatic Touareg 7P version, on the first intervention they told me just to do 50km on freeways above 90kmh in Drive mode, on the second dealer they told me to lock gearbox in manual mode in 4th gear (it has 8) and drive at least 15km above 2.500 rpms.

Witch suggestion is correct? Because I do not have the owners manual were this supposedly is explained.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,472 Posts
I recently ran my 7P in "Sports" mode for a duration of about 45 minutes which included freeway and urban running.
The soot level diminished incredibly with comparison of before/after readings.

As for a 7L, I recall there is a 'forced regen' that can be triggered by VCDS while the car is running. Process takes about 15 minutes. Temp levels from engine exhaust area are extreme. It should be a process done with extreme care in respect to flash point for combustible items (grass etc) under the car if you attempt this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently ran my 7P in "Sports" mode for a duration of about 45 minutes which included freeway and urban running.
The soot level diminished incredibly with comparison of before/after readings.

How did you evaluate the soot level?
And how could you be sure the car started the regen process?

Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much, but this site refers to engine controllers that use the UDS protocol, this means it is for a workshop mechanic, correct?

That is not something that I as a simple driver can do, correct?
That drop down menu is not the cars menu, but some mechanic laptop that can be connected to the car?

I meant, if there was some way for me as a driver/owner to know if the car is regenerating the DPF...

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
You need a VCDS for that procedure. (and for a lot of other stuff on these vehicles)

The driver can add additional gauges to monitor EGTs and other parameters which can be interpreted to notice when a regen takes place.
For example, this

With the cluster and stock gauges, you will have a hard time identifying when a regen happens under normal operating conditions.

Reactions: Mptrindade

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
You also need to read up on regenerations.... what everyone is telling you to do are passive regenerations.... you are basically trying to heat up the system by making it work hard. Forcing a regeneration as per your post is a completely different procedure, typically used when things have gone bad and you need to rectify after fixing\replacing components, etc.

What is your typical driving pattern like? Distance, travel speed, travel time, etc.

Reactions: Mptrindade

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You also need to read up on regenerations.... what everyone is telling you to do are passive regenerations.... you are basically trying to heat up the system by making it work hard. Forcing a regeneration as per your post is a completely different procedure, typically used when things have gone bad and you need to rectify after fixing\replacing components, etc.

What is your typical driving pattern like? Distance, travel speed, travel time, etc.
Thank you,

Yes, I suspect that for some reason my car is not making active regen while driving, the car driving pattern is; on week days it is used by my wife on basically two daily drives of just 3km each, each way, but on week-ends we often do trips on freeways of over 150km each leg were it goes for over 100km non stop at 140kmh in 8th around 2.200rpms (I think), but in the past year it gave me Particle filter warning 3 times, and on the last two (last week and in June) it went on safe mode just after 30km to 40km after the warning came on, witch meant I was not able to make it regen by going to the freeway. Each time it came from the workshop the mechanic said after the force renen the filter was cleaned up to 95%...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And I always fill up the tank, It takes up to 100lt, I always confirm real fuel averages (Motorbike habit)

I use My VW Connect app and one thing I noticed is that the average fuel consumption is often very wrong, When I do freeways very light on accelerator or trips with a lot of downhill with long periods of zero consumption instantaneous, the car shows lower fuel consumption than the real fuel consumption even if the tank fuel left is correct on the app.

ie: I came down from the mountain from a week end of ski, from 2.000mt to sea level on a 300km trip, full tank on start, in the end car said average of 8,1lt/100km, but VW connect APP after 300km said there were 64lt on tank... that is average of 12lt/100km, I fill it up and it takes 37,5lt, about right... but if cars average was 8,1lt/100km then it should have burned just 24,3lt and not 37,5lt... more so when the VW Connect App is making good fuel tank level readings,,, It puzzles me... more so that when I just do city commute on heavy traffic, the car might say average of 12,5lt/100km and on those conditions the difference with real consumption is under 1lt/100km...

Sometimes I think that if I´m burning 8lt/100km on a highway trip driving at 130kmh, with a 100lt tank I could do about 1.150km on that tank, but then it goes on reserve with just 750km done...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts