Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm just over 60,000 and having owned gas vehicles before, I'm assuming I need a transmission fluid flush. However, I'm not seeing this maintenance item in the maintenance manual.

Do the Touareg TDIs need transmission fluid changes, or do they operate differently?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Same transmission in gas & diesel models.

Official answer is no, it's lifetime fill. That said, many users, including me, have all intentions of doing them around 60k or did them already. Note the fluid is quite expensive and you should get it from your dealer only.

I saw where someone sent their used fluid off to blackstone and they said it was still good, but the color was awful.

Lots of good how to posts here if you're interested in doing it yourself - do a search for it and I'm sure it'll show up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Note the fluid is Way Overpriced and you should Run from your dealer.
There. Fixed it for you. There are alternatives:

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=381570&docFormat=PDF

There is nothing magical about the VW fluid other than the price. It's Dexron VI. Amazon has a 12 pack for $47 and it ships with Prime.

I used my $500 Dealer Goodwill to purchase fluids for my S5 S-Tronic maintenance, and for the transfer case and diff fluids for the Touareg. Blew through $500 instantly. For 12 liters of transmission fluid, I'll use an alternative thanks.

To the OP, there is a good thread on making your own exchange mechanism using the cooling lines. Search for it. It's well worth the read.

Edit:

Here: http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f73/t3-transmission-flush-idea-with-wonderful-drawings-173138.html

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't think that is the same fluid as I am using, from memory I am sure it needs to be G055025A2 compatible. For a 6 speed that is.....

The stealers in Australaia want $50 a bottle. Ouch.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You should be able to find a suitable aftermarket fluid.
It is a AISIN 6 speed. I Would do some research and not assume it Dex fluid.

Don't "flush", but do drop the pan and do the filter and full fluid change.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't think that is the same fluid as I am using, from memory I am sure it needs to be G055025A2 compatible. For a 6 speed that is..... The stealers in Australaia want $50 a bottle. Ouch.
The OP has a 2011 with the 8 speed Aisin. G 55 540 A2 is the spec for this transmission, which the Havoline shows as "Recommended". (please God don't start with the Approved BS).

·
Registered
305 Posts
You should be able to find a suitable aftermarket fluid. It is a AISIN 6 speed. I Would do some research and not assume it Dex fluid. Don't "flush", but do drop the pan and do the filter and full fluid change.
The OP has the Aisin 8 speed. It is Dex VI. It's not really a flush, it's more of an exchange/swap using the transmission pump pressure. Disagree on the pan drop.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I wouldn't use that personally, though I can see where you're coming from. Yes, the fluid is crazy overpriced, but I wouldn't do otherwise personally.

The issue I have is that 100,000 mile powertrain warranty which, in my eyes, would be void if you refill a "lifetime" fluid with something both different and not officially approved.

Not worth it IMO. Change it, fine, but I'd trust the manufacturer (Aisin) for fluid specs - there was a lot of engineering that went into that $7000 transmission.

Whether it's Dex VI or not, I don't want to speculate either way as I'm not knowledgeable in this area.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
VERY good point on the warranty issue.

Are you keeping the car beyond the 100K?

If not, then, regrettably, it might be better to do nothing although I thought I had read that with the arrival of the T3, the ATF had become a service item at the 60K mark.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts