Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 Touareg panorama roof is chattering and having trouble closing. I silicon sprayed everything and lubed it up with white lithium spray grease and it is still doing the same thing. Any help would be great thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2011 Touareg panorama roof is chattering and having trouble closing. I silicon sprayed everything and lubed it up with white lithium spray grease and it is still doing the same thing. Any help would be great thank you
Hi I actually had this happen to my 2012 and it ended up being the frame had warped somehow so they replaced he entire sunroof under warranty. I'm not certain it's the same thing that you have but mine chattered when trying to close and grease didn't help.

Hope it's something different for you though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Had the same issue. Entire glass and frame in the roof were all replaced under warranty and works like a charm now!

·
Registered
39 Posts
You gotta be f'n kidding me! I just did a search and found this thread. Our sunroof is a little creaky and was wondering where the lube points were exactly.

A warped sunroof and frame? I like this car but I'm sick and tired of all the crap wrong with it and VW not covering anything with their lame ass warrante and the bs extended warrante the dealer sold me.

Rant over.

Never buying another VW product.

John

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also wish we could get Touareg with Sunroof delete like you can order with a Q5...

EDIT: well looks like you can't order a 2016 Q5 with the roof delete now.. and they still charge Europeans for it with an option.. strange how they perceive american buyers..

·
Registered
394 Posts
I also wish we could get Touareg with Sunroof delete like you can order with a Q5...

EDIT: well looks like you can't order a 2016 Q5 with the roof delete now.. and they still charge Europeans for it with an option.. strange how they perceive american buyers..
I personally would have paid several hundred dollars for a sunroof delete option. I don't plan to use the sunroof that I have on my car, but I hate the extra weight in the worst possible place for a vehicle and the potential for leaks/squeaks/rattles that it introduces.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine as a popping/rattle that I have been trying to fix for a while, I never use it so I could easily do without it save my self from that annoying noise...

·
Registered
155 Posts
That's why we bought a TDI Sport (with Navigation). We did not want that big-a$$ sunroof. It would be nice if VW had a sunroof delete option on the "higher" models though.
+1 -- but Gasser '13 Sport w/Navi

In the past, I've actually added an ASC (American Sunroof Company) made sunroof to two cars (a '93 Ford Taurus SHO and a minivan) without ANY issues and owing each car for several years BUT neither was the size of this behemoth. Yes, it really opens up the car but I could see some issues down the road ... sad that this has proved me right.

·
Registered
144 Posts
When the temps drop, many times the sunroof will chatter as it closes. This is because of a different coefficient of expansion and contraction of materials. The thought is, you will not open your sunroof in the cold, therefore no concern for the different sift ratio of materials. When our VW's were made, the sunroofs are installed in a room with a controlled temp, about 70 degrees F (21 C). The mounting holes are elongated in order to ensure a custom fit at this temp, and to allow proper function at temps above 70.

However, some of us will park a car in the sun on a cooler day, and use the sunroof to assist in dropping the internal temps. There is a way to adjust the fitment of the sunroof in your car. It is just that this is not written anywhere in the VW Maintenance manuals that I'm aware of (but I don't know everything). Many times, you are best served to visit a local sunroof person rather than the dealer.

Bottom line, if it doesn't work on an 80 degree day, something is wrong. Be very careful with adding lubricant. The issue might be "schmutz" in the sunroof track. Use a mild solvent, cloth and "can of air" to clean out the tracks. Do it twice. Then lightly use white lithium grease on the track guides. Be careful to open and close the motor only a few times, so you don't overheat the system.

I hope that made sense. This is a common issue no matter the make of car.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Resurrecting this thread-
Does the 2011, 2012 Touareg Sport have a sunroof at all? A small sunroof? No sunroof?

Doing a search keeps bringing up the large panoramic one of the upper models. Don't care about those...

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,045 Posts
I hardly used my sunroof. The one time I did the synchro drive gear at the motor split in half. I replaced the $8 gear/cleaned and relubed the sunroof. Then initialized it with VCDS. Works great now but worry every time they call for potential hail. I would just a soon not have it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.