Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys. i have a 2011 RHD Touareg Hybrid with all the extras.
yesterday i was fitting new canbus LED reversing lights and i had the car on with it in reverse, hand brake on while i fitted the bulbs to ensure i got them around the right way.
left side went in with no issue. right side sparked a tiny bit and wouldnt light no matter which way i put it. i turned car off, back on again and fitted the bulbs and they both work fine (tho they still throw up an error, but i can live with that)
problem is, next time i started and rove the car i get:
1) Bend Lighting Failure - service manual
2) Drivetrain Failure - workshop
and the air suspension is locked in firm and raised mode and none of the air suspension buttons work.
I have checked all the fuses on right and left side of car, and tonight will remove passengers seat and check compressor fuse under there.
Does anyone have any idea whats possibly happened here and what i should do ? (other than just goto work shop, ill leave that till i have exhausted other options first)

thanks all from New Zealand - covid free (sorry, couldn't resist)

·
Registered
178 Posts
hi guys. i have a 2011 RHD Touareg Hybrid with all the extras.
yesterday i was fitting new canbus LED reversing lights and i had the car on with it in reverse, hand brake on while i fitted the bulbs to ensure i got them around the right way.
left side went in with no issue. right side sparked a tiny bit and wouldnt light no matter which way i put it. i turned car off, back on again and fitted the bulbs and they both work fine (tho they still throw up an error, but i can live with that)
problem is, next time i started and rove the car i get:
1) Bend Lighting Failure - service manual
2) Drivetrain Failure - workshop
and the air suspension is locked in firm and raised mode and none of the air suspension buttons work.
I have checked all the fuses on right and left side of car, and tonight will remove passengers seat and check compressor fuse under there.
Does anyone have any idea whats possibly happened here and what i should do ? (other than just goto work shop, ill leave that till i have exhausted other options first)

thanks all from New Zealand - covid free (sorry, couldn't resist)
Remove both LED bulbs. It sounds like they may be causing glitches & to much of a coincidence.

Some LED bulbs are known to cause radio interferance so quite possibly are affecting the CAN bus. The fact it sparked & would not work at first imho says there is somthing wrong with it.

I have LED bulbs in my reversing lights and they work perfectly with no error codes so dont live with it.

Covid free & 4 million people not 67 million in a smaller island like we have. NZ closing itself down & shutting borders was a good move to!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remove both LED bulbs. It sounds like they may be causing glitches & to much of a coincidence.

Some LED bulbs are known to cause radio interferance so quite possibly are affecting the CAN bus. The fact it sparked & would not work at first imho says there is somthing wrong with it.

I have LED bulbs in my reversing lights and they work perfectly with no error codes so dont live with it.

Covid free & 4 million people not 67 million in a smaller island like we have. NZ closing itself down & shutting borders was a good move to!!
yes i did that last night, but still have the issue.......both bulbs removed..... :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
yes i did that last night, but still have the issue.......both bulbs removed..... :(
This is a little crude but I would try a battery disconnect for a few minutes and see if it clears.

Have you checked all fuses?

Battery fully charged?

If you have acess to a VW electrical diagnostic system then use it!! Do you have VCDS?

How long did you have the lights / ignition on while fitting the bulbs?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a little crude but I would try a battery disconnect for a few minutes and see if it clears.

Have you checked all fuses?

Battery fully charged?

If you have acess to a VW electrical diagnostic system then use it!! Do you have VCDS?

How long did you have the lights / ignition on while fitting the bulbs?
checked all fuses, inc under pass seat. battery fully charged. no vcds (yet) waiting arrival still.
ignition was on around 3 mins tops.

(oh we have 5 million now, lots of sex during lockdown)

·
Registered
178 Posts
checked all fuses, inc under pass seat. battery fully charged. no vcds (yet) waiting arrival still.
ignition was on around 3 mins tops.

(oh we have 5 million now, lots of sex during lockdown)
Battery disconnect reset time imho. It won't make it any worse. I sure am hoping you've not fried something.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Battery disconnect reset time imho. It won't make it any worse. I sure am hoping you've not fried something.
yip battery is off now, has been for 15 mins, how long should i wait ?
i have a warranty, but it specifically excludes air suspension :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well that didnt help. i went to my mech and did a scan, this is whats stored, cleared, and this is what came back. both main faults still there, running gear, bend lighting.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Its fried!! imho there is a break or damage to the CAN twisted pair or in the main module or no power. I may be wrong but the spark when you inserted the bulb that didnt work is the clue, fuse blown?? A VCDS scan would reveal more. Check the fuses by the battery mentioned in this thread.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Wow something is all ****ed up. It's way too much of a coincidence this all happened right after you put those LED in

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im still waiting my vcds order to arrive. a downside of covid is shipping now takes forever.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow something is all ****ed up. It's way too much of a coincidence this all happened right after you put those LED in
yeah im a little annoyed, i would expect a vehicle like this to have some major short circuit protection....... kinda dont see how a little led bulb can blow a 40 or 60amp fuse either....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, this is embarrassing. car was with my mechanic all day today. he nearly gave up out of frustration also. finnally went back and pulled all the fuses on drivers side one by one... i had put a fuse back into a blank space instead of the correct space :( $500 for that mistake :(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts