Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Before getting all crazy replacing injectors why not have them tested?

If you have a Bosch authorized fuel injection service shop near you, they can run full diagnostic testing on them. I got some tested for another vehicle a few years back for something like $50.00 each.

Results came with a full report.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
I inherently agree with you but the original poster is a Volkswagen TDI and Touareg Tech and has confirmed via a balance test that they are out

·
Registered
Current Vehicle #1 - 2012 Audi Q7 3.0L TDI CATA Current Vehicle #2 - 2014 Audi Q7 3.0L TDI CNRB
326 Posts
I inherently agree with you but the original poster is a Volkswagen TDI and Touareg Tech and has confirmed via a balance test that they are out
Because the testing of the injectors rules then out or pinpoints a faulty injector.

If he has bad compression, that can cause balance test variances.

What if it is a wiring problem?

The testing of the injectors is apparently far cheaper than new injectors.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Because the testing of the injectors rules then out or pinpoints a faulty injector.

If he has bad compression, that can cause balance test variances.

What if it is a wiring problem?

The testing of the injectors is apparently far cheaper than new injectors.

Interesting, you think balance tests can be thrown off by poor compression?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Here in the states place
Interesting, you think balance tests can be thrown off by poor compression?

Before getting all crazy replacing injectors why not have them tested?

If you have a Bosch authorized fuel injection service shop near you, they can run full diagnostic testing on them. I got some tested for another vehicle a few years back for something like $50.00 each.

Results came with a full report.

Yes a low compression engine will cause balance faults. 5 bar of difference between cylinders causes a balance issue. Compression is not an issue with this engine. As stated previously I have gone through the engine and wiring with a fine tooth comb being a VW master tech I exhausted all my options before declaring the injectors the issue. Even so far as reaching out to my quality technical engineer with vw to verify my data and numbers to ensure I hadn’t missed anything.

Bad fuel can also cause balance faults, again, not an issue here. I personally drained both sides of the tank, verified no algae build up and fuel quality. Verified nothing in he filter assembly and went so far as flushing each line and each rail. An putting known good quality diesel fuel in he car when I was doing my injector testing.

As for a Bosch testing facility, here in the states that’s not much of an option. I do all my work on my personal cars at work and can not have my personal car down for weeks at a time for the injector facilities which are few and far between down here to test them and return them.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I will list what my readings are below for information purposes.

Injector 1 2.35 -.4 -2.0
Injector 2 -3.05 -4.0 -4.8
Injector 3 6.0 -.8 -2.0
Injector 4 36.6 .4 .8
Injector 5 6.0 -3.6 2.0
Injector 6 13.4 -3.6 -1.2
I'm struggling to read these values.
What is the other missing piece of data? You seem to be listing 3 different readings... are we looking at idle\min\max?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm struggling to read these values.
What is the other missing piece of data? You seem to be listing 3 different readings... are we looking at idle\min\max?
I apologize, I listed he data sets in a manner that made sense to myself. Each one of these below is a uds address (without the address numbers just the word set) and the data found in each set point.

Injector 1 set point 1 2.35
Injector 2 set point 1 -3.05
Injector 3 set point 1 6.0
Injector 4 set point 1 36.6
Injector 5 set point 1 6.0
Injector 6 set point 1 13.4

Injector 1 set point 2 -.4
Injector 2 set point 2 -4.0
Injector 3 set point 2 -.8
Injector 4 set point 2 .4
Injector 5 set point 2 -3.6
Injector 6 set point 2 -3.6

Injector 1 set point 3 -2.0
Injector 2 set point 3 -4.8
Injector 3 set point 3 -2.0
Injector 4 set point 3 .8
Injector 5 set point 3 2.0
Injector 6 set point 3 -1.2

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The deviations is what effects the set points as the ecm tries to compensate for the injector

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
The deviations is what effects the set points as the ecm tries to compensate for the injector
Now that is quite interesting. Has that been a thing since the common rail came out including the 2.0?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am just pleased to hear that you got 403 K miles so far. That gives me hope that my 2012 TDI Exec keeps running for a while past 150 K.
What, if any issues have you had getting that mileage?
Is there anything particularly that you have run into in that 400 K?
Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I am just pleased to hear that you got 403 K miles so far. That gives me hope that my 2012 TDI Exec keeps running for a while past 150 K.
What, if any issues have you had getting that mileage?
Is there anything particularly that you have run into in that 400 K?
Thanks.
Honestly, tires, 2 sets of brakes, and 1 dpf. Of course it had an a blue heater under warranty with the recall. Otherwise, oil changes, fuel filters, air filters and that’s been it

·
Registered
383 Posts
How many miles did the DPF last? That sounds like the single highest priced event.
So far so good on mine.
Our 2012 was purchased after the recall and we have been pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
LOL... and all the fabois keep barking about how the CP4.2 is a timebomb and how everyone needs a CP3 conversion.
Epic!
Exactly. Such a small percentage ever have issues.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
How many miles did the DPF last? That sounds like the single highest priced event.
So far so good on mine.
Our 2012 was purchased after the recall and we have been pretty happy with it.
It made it till 300k which was when the extension work was done. At that time pre existing conditions (Full dpfs) where covered. An while it was full it wasn’t setting a check engine light or driveability issues. Only reason I even knew was when we went to do the recalls.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Things to keep in mind. I’m a 2011 T3 with the CATA not a CNRB so my high pressure pump is on the front of the engine on a belt like the T2s. Which I prefer due to the fact of ease of replacement if something where to happen

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
It made it till 300k which was when the extension work was done. At that time pre existing conditions (Full dpfs) where covered. An while it was full it wasn’t setting a check engine light or driveability issues. Only reason I even knew was when we went to do the recalls.
But what's your use pattern? Sounds like you're a freeway pavement eater with that kind of milage! Not many users do 40k a year.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think that the 2012 is also a CATA as well. I hear on other boards that there can be an issue with cam drive chains and I was concerned enough to be willing to add a can of Liqui Moly Ceratec in case it helped chain wear.
That may be a complete waste of time and money.
I used the Castrol oil from VW until they went to 0 w nothing weight last year.
I was able to get a few changes worth from the local VW dealers before they ran out. Since then I have been using the Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 ( I think I am correct for the VW 507 oil)
Basically I believe in benign neglect and not going out of my way to generate new issues.
Thanks,
J.D. Barron

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
But what's your use pattern? Sounds like you're a freeway pavement eater with that kind of milage! Not many users do 40k a year.
Yes a lot of it was highway mileage, it now sees more mountains and off road adventures at this point in its life.

I think that the 2012 is also a CATA as well. I hear on other boards that there can be an issue with cam drive chains and I was concerned enough to be willing to add a can of Liqui Moly Ceratec in case it helped chain wear.
That may be a complete waste of time and money.
I used the Castrol oil from VW until they went to 0 w nothing weight last year.
I was able to get a few changes worth from the local VW dealers before they ran out. Since then I have been using the Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 ( I think I am correct for the VW 507 oil)
Basically I believe in benign neglect and not going out of my way to generate new issues.
Thanks,
J.D. Barron
Without your vin, the dead give away of a CATA engine is the pump belt cover on the front of the engine. All the 12 model cars I’ve had my hands on where all CNRB cars which has no additional belt cover and the oil filter is on the front of the engine. On the CATA it’s near the middle of the valley

21 - 40 of 49 Posts