Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intermittent problem- a hesitation or leg upon acceleration (moderate) then the vehicle picks up and goes. Usually short in duration although last time I thought vehicle was going to stall and quit..... but it recovered. Seems to happen more frequetnly on hot days - 80-85 degrees F

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I am going to the dealer Thursday - it is a ling drive and unless it does it when I am there, I am not sure they can diagnose unless the vehicle has thrown a code.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One thing I've noticed about my Treg, is that if you're leaving a full stop and you start to accelerate while touching the brake pedal with very little pressure at the same time, the engine won't rev up. It's like a huge hesitation in the engine. I think it's a built in safety, IMHO. I've pulled out into intersections a couple of times and thought it was going to stall. Now that I'm familiar with what happens while touching the brake pedal with very light pressure, and giving it gas at the same time, it's no longer an issue.

Maybe this will be helpful.

Intermittent problem- a hesitation or leg upon acceleration (moderate) then the vehicle picks up and goes. Usually short in duration although last time I thought vehicle was going to stall and quit..... but it recovered. Seems to happen more frequetnly on hot days - 80-85 degrees F

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I am going to the dealer Thursday - it is a ling drive and unless it does it when I am there, I am not sure they can diagnose unless the vehicle has thrown a code.

·
Registered
148 Posts
One thing I've noticed about my Treg, is that if you're leaving a full stop and you start to accelerate while touching the brake pedal with very little pressure at the same time, the engine won't rev up. It's like a huge hesitation in the engine. I think it's a built in safety, IMHO. I've pulled out into intersections a couple of times and thought it was going to stall. Now that I'm familiar with what happens while touching the brake pedal with very light pressure, and giving it gas at the same time, it's no longer an issue.

Maybe this will be helpful.

All VAG drive by wire throttles cut out the fuel delivery if the brake pedal is depressed.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
weird i found that it actually does rev up a bit, when you do a "rev with brake" the release you get is in the perfect torque curve almost like a launch control....

Check out the video i made, I rev it up to about 1,400 RPM's before i let go of the brake, and it takes off like a banshee....no throttle cutoff..(just a limiter at 1,400)...

There are alot of people who have reported the lag on start up, it could be due to the computer learning lazy driving patterns. Easy way to reset your throttle/transmission adaptation is this...

Key in-ignition on engine off....step on gas pedal to the floor hold for 5-10 seconds

release, turn key off...

your learned shift adaptation has been reset. see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
All VAG drive by wire throttles cut out the fuel delivery if the brake pedal is depressed.
Thanks for the info.

I wasn't aware of that fact.:)

·
Super Moderator
9,622 Posts
Here is something else to throw into the mix. If you get hesitation while trying to pull out from an uneven surface where one wheel may get some lift to spin, that would be ESP stopping that wheel from spinning which would also cause the lag.
The other thing to consider is that any turbo vehical will have some lag at start of accelleration. They need the exhaust gasses to get the turbo to spoll up and get the boost.
The brake thing mentioned earlier is possible as well. If you are a two footed driver where the left foot is on the brake and right throttle, you will experience this as well. I would hazard to guess there is absolutely nothing wrong with your Treg at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just went out and started my Treg. I put my foot on brake and gave it the gas at the same time. It revved up without an issue. But once my Treg is moving forward with light pressure on the brake, there's a hesitation.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I just went out and started my Treg. I put my foot on brake and gave it the gas at the same time. It revved up without an issue. But once my Treg is moving forward with light pressure on the brake, there's a hesitation.
I believe that is how it's supposed to work, a throttle brake override to prevent, "toyota" incidents. :) I believe vw's have had this since the late 90's.

It's nice that you can give it a bit of throttle for quicker starts at lights though, :) it definitely makes for fun launches.

I'm pretty sure the Op's problem with hesitation can be solved with the throttle adaptation reset. A hestation in downshifting especially when slowing down and reaccelerating can feel like a stall. Once reset, a more agressive shift pattern can be learned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I believe that is how it's supposed to work, a throttle brake override to prevent, "toyota" incidents. :) I believe vw's have had this since the late 90's.

It's nice that you can give it a bit of throttle for quicker starts at lights though, :) it definitely makes for fun launches.

I'm pretty sure the Op's problem with hesitation can be solved with the throttle adaptation reset. A hestation in downshifting especially when slowing down and reaccelerating can feel like a stall. Once reset, a more agressive shift pattern can be learned.
Great info re: throttle adaptation reset.

Thanks.:D

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Or maybe your aircon was on.. I Also noticed that if is there a bit up hill and my aircon on ,I can't get the car moving without pressing the gas pedal a bit,while the aircon is of I don't need to touch the gas pedal to start moving..

·
Registered
129 Posts
There are alot of people who have reported the lag on start up, it could be due to the computer learning lazy driving patterns. Easy way to reset your throttle/transmission adaptation is this...

Key in-ignition on engine off....step on gas pedal to the floor hold for 5-10 seconds

release, turn key off...

your learned shift adaptation has been reset. see if it makes a difference.
Does this apply to 2008 gasser's too ? I find that hesitation in downshifting every once in a while.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Or maybe your aircon was on.. I Also noticed that if is there a bit up hill and my aircon on ,I can't get the car moving without pressing the gas pedal a bit,while the aircon is of I don't need to touch the gas pedal to start moving..
X2!

I've noticed this too when it's hot and the AC is cranking. Especially if I'm carrying passengers and cargo. But I notice it more at speed (e.g. passing) then off the line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2016 Toureg hesitation happens all the time. The car is DANGEROUS to drive. This is a car defect. I am scanning the internet waiting for a class action to start on VW

1 - 14 of 14 Posts