Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 93k miles on my Touareg Hybrid. Dealer diagnosed Check Engine Light as catalytic converter inefficiency and recommends replacement of both sides. I did not get the specific codes, but Dealer reset the light. Sold me some G-001-780-M3 Additive (cataclean?) and recommended that I run it in Sport mode or manually shift to maintain higher RPMs. About 200 miles later (obviously less than a tankful of additive used), engine light switched on again.
Dealer estimate to replace both catalytic converters is $3500 (and recommends replacing supercharger belt for $225).
Any recommended options? Any experience with after market catalytic converters? How likely is O2 sensors failure rather than catalytic converter failure? Is this a "dealer" repair or should I be looking at non-dealer options?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have 93k miles on my Touareg Hybrid. Dealer diagnosed Check Engine Light as catalytic converter inefficiency and recommends replacement of both sides. I did not get the specific codes, but Dealer reset the light. Sold me some G-001-780-M3 Additive (cataclean?) and recommended that I run it in Sport mode or manually shift to maintain higher RPMs. About 200 miles later (obviously less than a tankful of additive used), engine light switched on again.
Dealer estimate to replace both catalytic converters is $3500 (and recommends replacing supercharger belt for $225).
Any recommended options? Any experience with after market catalytic converters? How likely is O2 sensors failure rather than catalytic converter failure? Is this a "dealer" repair or should I be looking at non-dealer options?
I had a 2006 with cat go bad. It was $900 for OEM cat and I had an Indy shop install it. They first installed an aftermarket one and then again a second one when a tingy noise was heard under acceleration. Finally they went with OEM and it was perfect then, but I know they needed to lift the engine up to install it so labor was a lot. I think total bill was $1600 for my 2006 when I had it.

Good luck.

Reactions: Metric-VW
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.