Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've been hearing an electrical sounding whining noise coming from the engine area potentially passenger side only when I accelerate (pitch and noise level slowly goes down when I'm off the accelerator) during cool or cold mornings ( 16C or Lower). The whining noise never comes up when idling, and typically starts after I head up a small hill on my way to work. The noise goes away completely once the engine has warmed up. This may have come up in a previous thread but I wasn't able to find it. I've looked online generally, and figure its probably the alternator, but if it was, would that cause an engine light to come up? any advice would be helpful

I'll see if I can take a audio recording.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Recently I've been hearing an electrical sounding whining noise coming from the engine area potentially passenger side only when I accelerate (pitch and noise level slowly goes down when I'm off the accelerator) during cool or cold mornings ( 16C or Lower). The whining noise never comes up when idling, and typically starts after I head up a small hill on my way to work. The noise goes away completely once the engine has warmed up. This may have come up in a previous thread but I wasn't able to find it. I've looked online generally, and figure its probably the alternator, but if it was, would that cause an engine light to come up? any advice would be helpful

I'll see if I can take a audio recording.
I am going to point to Aux belt/idlers/tensioner. Sounds like a belt to me even though you mentioned "electrical whining". Since it goes away when warm...

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,052 Posts
That's driveline related.... check driveshaft hanger bearing.
Also check if it's RPM dependent or speed dependent. Sounds speed dependent to me.
Drive at whatever speed you can hear the noise, take note of RPM, slide into N and maintain rpm while braking with your left foot to scrub speed off. If it goes away, it's speed dependent and confirms driveline Mickey Mouse diagnostic.

Also swerve left to right to load\unload the sides of the vehicle.... if the noise changes, it could indicate a wheel bearing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. I'll take it for a spin in the am when she's cold. Just had the driveshaft replaced in August. Based on what I was seeing its speed dependent but I'll check that too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not an OEM part but even still if the part was manufactured correctly I don't think the issue would be back... fingers crossed. To answer your second question No I haven't but its on my radar.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Some time ago it was reported that original VW shafts were no longer being made and it might be hard to find one.
Not an issue at all. Maybe VW does not supply them because the original manufacturer GKN has them aftermarket. Last time I took my 2010 TDI in they quoted me a price for the driveshaft of $1,250 plus labor to install, I laughed my way out of the dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

Im not sure if this is the way to ask my question but Im new so bare with me, i have a 2013 touareg CJMA engine code, engine has seized and for the life of me cannot find the an engine with the same code, need to know if CVWA, or CJGA or any other engine code is compatible and can be dropped in?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts