Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together my order for a 2010 Touareg V6 TDI.

I've owned a few cars in my time, but I've never really had to think about what size wheel rims I wanted, until now. The 2010 Touareg offers wheel rims of 17, 18, 19 and 20 inches diameter. I like the look of the 19" Namib rims, but I am sure there are other considerations that might be more practical than simple esthetic choice.

Why might a person rationally prefer a 17" wheel over a 20" wheel, or vice versa?

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.

17":?: 18":?: 19":?: 20":?:

·
Registered
26 Posts
In general, if you're going to go off-roading, the 17s work much better. More tire selection, etc. I personally think they look better, too. When I bought my 09 TDI I looked very hard at the 19s, but when the 2 Tregs were parked side-by-side and I could see them both, I knew the 17s were for me. And I've always been a big wheel kinda guy....

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
Do not buy 19 inch since the tire choice is fairly limited and they are expensive tires

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies so far.

What if I got the 19" wheels for around toun and bought a set of cheap 17" rims for studded snow tires to use on those RARE occasions when Seattle gets a proper snowfall or I decide to drive into the mountain passes during the winter? I'm thinking that might be the best of both worlds, maybe.

Please keep the comments coming!

·
Registered
39 Posts
.I too am in the middle of tracking this down. I think if you go with the Lux package you have to get the 19s, which does not make sense to me, but is what I am told. I've been hunting for a good set of 18s myself, and will still try to work this out with the dealer.... I'm looking for some more info as well...

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
17s will fit the V6 TDI no problem, as they're the OE size.

Having to buy 19s (or 20s) to get A/S makes no sense to me either. VWoA brought back A/S for one last run without regard to the accompanying options, or they think we all just mod Tregs for the street.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
IMO I can't see why you'd want to go for 19's or 20's except if the look is your #1 priority.

Cost and availability on 19's and 20's have already been mentioned, but also keep in mind that in some cases you can get almost double the mileage out of a set of 17's than you would out of a set of 20's.

If you can afford having two sets, that'll be the ultimate solution. I looked at it, but I couldn't justify spending $2000 on an extra set of wheels and tyres that'll sit in the garage for 11 months a year.

In my mind there's nothing better looking than a Treg with Atheo's on. It's such a pity they're 19". Having said that, I think the same design wheel in 17" wouldn't look half as good.

To answer your question, I'd go for 17", maybe 18", but that's pushing it. My opinion, of course... ;)

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Right on.

Plus, the Makalu isn't bad looking at all. It's not like we have a dog of a 17" wheel to deal with. IMO, with a meaty tire it's the nicest look of all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
AndrieK said,
"keep in mind that in some cases you can get almost double the mileage out of a set of 17's than you would out of a set of 20's."

I don't quite grasp that. Wouldn't the 20" have a greater circumfrence, and thus rotate fewer times per mile traveled? I would expect fewer rotations to make the tire last longer.

Or did you mean fuel mileage? It would seem to me that there too, for each turn of the axle the tire would go further, so my guess would be that fuel mileage would be higher with bigger tires.

I Don't want to make my decison based only on what looks pretty only to realize later that I overlooked something more significant.

For example: the greater cost and lower availability of larger tires is an important consideration, I think. I'm glad that was mentioned. I notice that in the VWoA "build it" site for the 2009 Treg (which is oddly still up, while the 2010 site has yet to appear) the tires for larger rims are NOT INCLUDED with the rim price.

I haven't priced tires and rims for my winter-only studded tire idea, but $2K is more than I would have expected to spend. In snow conditions I wouldn't be embarrased to have utilitarian rims with studded tires.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I don't quite grasp that. Wouldn't the 20" have a greater circumfrence, and thus rotate fewer times per mile traveled?
Common misconception... ;)

I actually had a good look at all the standard OE sizes available on the Treg when I bought my bigger tyres. Funny thing is that the circumferences of the 17" and 18" tyres are bigger than the 19's and 20's. Remember, when they increase the wheel size, they decrease the profile, meaning you end up more or less where you started with circumference.

That's why you can have 17's as standard and 19's and 20's as options without affecting your overall gearing too much.

The reason why the 17's last longer is because the 19's and 20's are "high performance" road tyres made with softer compounds, which don't last as long.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts