Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I think the temperature of that lake is around 40-degrees!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yep, the stream in American Basin was also fairly low. I also felt the wild flowers were not as full as two years ago. A very good day in the mountains; even had some skiing. We finished the day in Silverton at San Juan Sweets.

Engineers Mountain is on the menu for Tuesday.
Post skiing pictures too!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
There was apparently quite an adventure in the mountains this afternoon.... looking for details and glad to hear everyone is safe.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I think the temperature of that lake is around 40-degrees!!!
Given its color, I would be even more afraid of what's in it? It's a little too blue, I guess, besides the obvious "shrinker" temp.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Wow, what a day. Major rain storm while on the trail. We have four cars sleeping on the mountain after a torrential rainstorm washed out the trail above and below us. In actuality, we were near washed down ourselves. We were within 5 minutes of the bottom of the trail when we became trapped. Half of the group had split off and taken a different route back and came into radio range right as they were passing the trail head. Fortunately, this gave us some degree of contact back into town and enough to tell our families that we were OK. After the water went down, we were able to pick our way down what was left of the trail and get ferried back into town. It is believed that there are still over two dozen vehicles still trapped on the Mineral Creek trail area. In town, we can hear the sound of dozers clearing off near by roads. The county is said to have a dozer heading to the Mineral Creek trail this evening, hopefully we can retrieve the Touaregs in the AM. All are OK, just a little dazed. One Touareg owner had a rock fall on his car from above, shattering his sunroof, damaging his windshield and denting his roof pretty well. He too is OK.

I'm going thru some pictures tonight, I'll post some up tomorrow. Be safe everyone!

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Washout.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Images from Tuesday

From Poughkeepsie Gulch

About 5 minutes after the initial flash flood. Sorry, low light and window caused image to be out of focus. Boulders in aircooled's image were a few feet in size on the right side - and the flood was more down-trail then across-trail by then. Those boulders were part of the debris field.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wow, what a day. Major rain storm while on the trail. We have four cars sleeping on the mountain after a torrential rainstorm washed out the trail above and below us. In actuality, we were near washed down ourselves. We were within 5 minutes of the bottom of the trail when we became trapped. Half of the group had split off and taken a different route back and came into radio range right as they were passing the trail head. Fortunately, this gave us some degree of contact back into town and enough to tell our families that we were OK. After the water went down, we were able to pick our way down what was left of the trail and get ferried back into town. It is believed that there are still over two dozen vehicles still trapped on the Mineral Creek trail area. In town, we can hear the sound of dozers clearing off near by roads. The county is said to have a dozer heading to the Mineral Creek trail this evening, hopefully we can retrieve the Touaregs in the AM. All are OK, just a little dazed. One Touareg owner had a rock fall on his car from above, shattering his sunroof, damaging his windshield and denting his roof pretty well. He too is OK.

I'm going thru some pictures tonight, I'll post some up tomorrow. Be safe everyone!
Now that sounds like an adventure! Wish I was there.

I believe that white old-school trail runner is a Jeep Jeepster.

Cheers

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
There was some discussion on whether or not I should be posting the details of yesterday's events and if might scare away current and future participants of the rally. I don't feel that we should hide any of the inherent risks that off-roading involves. While we haven't yet faced this kind of flooding and debris flow event in person, we are presented with evidence of its existence every year and many of the trails that we are on. It is a reminder to use the utmost caution and common sense and to be vigilant of ever changing weather conditions that may place yourself or others in peril.

Here are link to the video we happened to capture of the debris flow that almost caught us:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
As a bit of commentary on the second video...

I was the lead Gray Touareg without tire basket When I first got to that torrent, it was just starting. It was just a few seconds when it got to the video start, and you can see it growing more intense by the end. It was really a quick judgement call to avoid that.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Also to add, all of the vehicles are safely off the hill as of this morning.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Intense video. thanks for sharing...wish I was there!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Good job all --- keep the pix coming.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
There was some discussion on whether or not I should be posting the details of yesterday's events and if might scare away current and future participants of the rally.

Nah, I think you'll just attract all the thrill seekers, you definitely have me watching with keen interest. 8-[ \\:D/

·
Registered
179 Posts
great adventure I'm glad you or made back safe and sorry for the guy who lost his sunroof and windshield

·
Registered
216 Posts
I should pay more attention to the posts in this forum. I only saw this post the day before everyone made it to CO. Looks like you guys had a blast! Hopefully next time!

21 - 40 of 60 Posts