Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I type this, most of the Warehouse crew is now sleeping and I will be too.

As of Saturday night - Yeti, TheMadHatter, VegasMatt, Hap, Rickanns, Aircooled, and RvDub have made it to town, along with their families.

I took a shot of a few vehicles in front of Touareg Rally Central

Left to right - Yeti, Arkarch, TheMadHatter.

We went out to the Mexican place in town. Others went to Maggies Kitchen. We could hear and see the FJ's finishing up their Summit. Tomorrow 6 AM the FJ Summiteers do their Main Street photos and clear the mountains.

As you can see from the photo, it has been raining in the area.

There may be some trail activity on Sunday. We'll see. First there is breskfast. Later on Sunday, the party will be in full swing to greet all the new arrivals.

I'll post more shots as I get them. A full collection will be on my site at Picasa Web Albums - Karl.

I am sure others will be posting pix and reports.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sunday Pre-run.

A few of us loaded into a couple Touaregs and visited local Ouray trails.

Welcome to Ouray

Cruising a local trail.

Left to Right - VegasMatt, Hap, Aircooled, and Yeti

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Good times ---- I will be watching this thread all week.

Enjoy everyone.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gang is here.

Caleb, Mr. Bill, Lgibson, and ButteBeautte

Arkarch, Yeti, TheMadHatter, Rickanns, Hap, and Rvdub

Rickanns, Hap, and Rvdub

Canon_Mutant, Schubie, then RVDub and Hap

Monday - two runs of seven vehicles each.

Corkscrew - Hurricane - California - Animas Forks - Cinnamon - American Basin

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Thanks for keeping us posted. It's almost like being there. Mid 90's here in Kansas.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Oh how I wish I was there!!!!!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Well, I've got the Treg broke in now . . .

First day and I broke my truck already . . . :rolleyes:

Nothing major. Just took what I think all will agree was one of the more severe humps of the day just fast enough that a rather large water covered hole just on the other side claimed my right fog lamp cover on the rebound. Easy enough to replace. Could have been much worse as I hit pretty hard.

Though the 8 hour day was long, we had a blast [Terri's first serious four wheel trek too] and though I still don't know the Touareg's limits, I now know what it can do. The switchbacks at Cinnamon were a little intimidating for a Ouray virgin the first trip across but one thing the return trip back across forces you realize is a) what you learned the first time and b) just how capable this rig is. Crawling up out of that stream leaving the Basin up a probably [what] 3 1/2 foot rather steep rock wet embankment like it's not even there. And each switchback has it's own nasty personality right when you turn naturally.

Lots of GREAT advice from the team. Thanks to all . . .

The oversized Pirelli 19s are holding up so far though I was naturally concerned all day about cutting one. Now, if my stupid Fibromyalgia doesn't hold things up the rest of the week. One thing I didn't consider is what all the jarring of the trails would do to it. Not feeling too good at all at the moment and REALLY don't want to miss tomorrow.

Tons of pics to follow . . .

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
You ain't off-roading unless you lose a part. I think many of us have had a piece of plastic float away in a river!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Images from Monday

Looking toward Gladstone from the climb to Hurricane

Near top of climb to Hurricane. Sarah skied here (just behind camera guy)

From California Pass

California Pass - Both sides - left is Lake Como, right is trail to Animas Forks

VegasMatt, Lake Como in the background.

Memorial on California Pass

Wildflowers on trail to Animas Forks

On the trail

American Basin

Rob's LR3

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Great pictures ---- Keep 'em coming. It makes me feel better.

The river the LR3 is really low compared to how it was a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great pictures ---- Keep 'em coming. It makes me feel better.

The river the LR3 is really low compared to how it was a couple of years ago.
Yep, the stream in American Basin was also fairly low. I also felt the wild flowers were not as full as two years ago. A very good day in the mountains; even had some skiing. We finished the day in Silverton at San Juan Sweets.

Engineers Mountain is on the menu for Tuesday.

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
Day one down and now on to day two. I am loving the TDI torque! Hardly any effort to get it to go anywhere. I am also loving having air suspension this time around on the Rally. I had one instance when I was await for others to catch up that I was just idling up the trail with no foot on the accelerator pedal! :)

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
What is the Air vs Steel suspension ratio? Do you need the air or will steel do? Really want to go next year!
There is actually is no steel suspended Tregs this year at the Rally. Steel can do the Rally with no issue, but you just need to be more careful with your lines. Arkarch, LV Matt and myself did 07-08 with steel and had not issues other then a few bottom scrapes here and there. The Rally is doable with steel, but don't expect to do it on 20's! :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Oh, I really want to go! My Texan Treg needs to breathe mountain air and experience switchbacks.

Thanks for the updates and pictures. Have fun and be safe!

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Amazing scenery and great pics!

·
Registered
839 Posts
More Day One Pics

Well, since as I feared the Fibro has taken my day two . . . since I am just laying around the hotel being worthless, thought I might as well post some pics. I cropped them a bunch because of my memory hog 7D.

First group stop . . .

Post card view . . .

Name the antique trail runner for a dollar . . .

The water slide . . . any takers?

Vandals! But we were there is the important thing . . .

Gorgeous, but somehow I don't really want to swim in it . . .

The better half Terri and our child Xena . . .

Taking it all in . . . pretty breathtaking.

I nearly tripped over this . . .
Don't know if she was too fat to fly or just protecting the nest.

One of the locals . . .

Enjoy,
Garth

Really sorry I missed day 2!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Looks amazing.

I came pretty close to being there as I was in Denver last weekend!

I hope to join in the splendor, someday...

I don't know what is more beautiful, seeing a family of Touaregs in their natural setting or the natural setting?!?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
About this Discussion
59 Replies
21 Participants
schubie
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing