Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Touareg that has Halogen headlights. I recently installed Philips Ultravision LED H7 bulbs. They work great, however, I have a dash warning/chime every once in a while alerting me to check my front right and left "front dipped beam(s)". From someone else's help so far, I have come to believe that the car senses a voltage drop due to the LED bulbs and thus believes the bulbs are out. I was given the advice to install a resistor.

Is installing a resistor what I need to do? If so, how do I do so and what resistor product should I buy?

Is there an easier way to go about this? I mean, the headlights work fine and I am thinking of just disabling the dash warning indicator instead. These bulbs are supposed to last 12 years...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I have asked the resistor question elsewhere as I said I would, but not had a response yet. Will chase, but if anyone else can advise, please do so.

My elementary understanding is that there is a 25 watt draw on each side at the moment by each LED headlight unit which is not enough to keep the "bulb out" warning light off thus the resistor needs to mimic more wattage to keep the CANBUS detection system happy.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where did you get your led bulbs from? These cars are weird with LEDs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philips Ultravision LED H7 bulbs purchased from Amazon ~$180 USD

Also, there seems to a a faint flickering of the lights constantly. It's unnoticeable until I pull up really close to my shed and the bulbs are inches away from a dark wall and you can see the flickering. Video also picks it up. Is this normal?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I would say that is not normal.

I have just been out to double check.

All my LEDSs are steady - even the cheap ones in the fog lights that I use as DRLS.

I'm still trying to find out the correct ohms for the resistors.

·
Registered
843 Posts
If an LED is flickering that means it’s bad. Send back.

LEDs are solid, they should never flicker unless they’re on their way out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have jw speaker h7 fitted and they also make a resistor as well no faults no flicker no worries

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the flickering is very faint and hardly noticeable. If they are broken, I am not going to go through all that effort again to remove the bulbs, send them back, go to the auto store to buy temporary halogen bulbs and install them while waiting for the new LED to arrive, and then install the new LED when they do arrive...

Good news is that I have not done a single thing to fix the 'check front dipped beam' alert but it has gone away for now. Perhaps the car calibrated to the new voltage reading?

I know that as soon as I finish typing this, and leave my office tonight after work, the alert will come back!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I certainly hope not!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Led Error

Hello,
The led shouldn’t flicker at all, unless the power was not stable..
you have 2 options to test the led bulb, 1 connect it outside of the headlight to a car battery, 2 measure the power voltage on the connector of the bulb with a multimeter..
It’s not impossible that the ECU for comfort system, because it detects a faulty bulb send a differenf voltage, but for my understanding is mostly unlikely..

For the resistor it will depend on the power of your led light... example if it’s a 35w bulb you should get a resistor for 20w because the power consumption of a regular H4 bulb is 55w for low beam and 60w for high beam.
When you be sure of the power of your led bulb you should search (at Amazon or ebay) for a free error canbus adapter for H4 and connect it between the stock connector of the vehicle and the led bulb connector...

If you give me more details on the led bulb I could help you more...

Regards

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I would check, clean and put some electrical de-ox in the connectors at the back of the headlight. It almost sounds like you have a intermittent ground connection. I have seen regular bulbs do the "slight" flicker when the connection was slightly dirty.

If it comes back, you might need to replace the small wiring harness at the back of each headlight. They are known to go bad.

The link below is an example of the wiring harness. It varies by year and if you had halogen or hid, but every Touareg has two of them.

www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/headlight-wiring-harness/7l6971071/

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am back with the intent on fixing this! The dashboard chiming for "check front right [and then left] bulb" is intermittent as well -- only comes on when starting up the car and occurs about twice per week of daily driving.

So I have a few updates...

1) The flickering only occurs when I first start up the car. Sometimes I see it in traffic when I pull up close to a car bumper in front of me (at night) and I can see a faint flickering. However, if one were to look directly at the bulb and not at the reflection of its light output, there is no flickering even when first starting the car. The flickering is only noticeable from inside the car and when the front of my car is VERY close (within 2 feet) of an object in front. A passenger would not notice the flickering -- only I would since I am looking for it.

2) The wattage is 25W (labeled by manufacturer).

I am going to try a resistor. What resistor should I get?

Any help would be awesome!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Try https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ they sell all sorts of HID and LED lights, looms and flickering stoppers.

There's also a self proclaimed lighting expert who also happens to sell aftermarket lighting but I don't remember his name.
I'm thinking Stern but a google search only shows up the Led Zepplin drummer.

*Here it is https://www.danielsternlighting.com/

I've used 2 sets of Nighteye H7s in my T1 and in both cases I got the warning which I just ignored.
The worked great for about a year then started to fade. The looked bright but didn't illuminate.

Your Philips bulbs are still going well?
Are they noticeably better than standard to the point where you'd bother spending $180 when you can can 100watt halogens?

·
Registered
240 Posts
The Philips Ultinon LEDS are outstanding - better as a retrofit in one of my cars than the expensive BMW OEM LEDs in another! - providing that the headlight chroming is still good.

Fitting 100W bulbs in Touareg headlights which aren't renowned for their wiring quality is not a good idea!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Fitting 100W bulbs in Touareg headlights which aren't renowned for their wiring quality is not a good idea!
Noted. I've replaced all the internal wiring in my headlight assemblies with a gauge that will handle much more than 100 watts. It's just what I had on hand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts