Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2010 VR6 Touareg. It came with one key.

I would like a spare in case of an emergency, so I was thinking of a cheap valet key. What is my best option and how much do they cost?

Thanks!

· Registered
121 Posts
Vdubya, sadly there is no easy news. The valet key on your 2010 will only allow you access inside the vehicle and not operate the ignition. A regular key is $150.00 +
$95.00 (labor/programming). FYI, the valet key is $60.00.

· Registered
20,262 Posts
As above, go to your VW dealer and shell out the readies.

Word of advice- do this ASAP otherwise Sod's Law will kick in and you'll find out that being locked out and having no key is even more expensive! !

· Registered
76 Posts
im not sure if that is entirely true. Do you have a VAG-com? ive not done it on my Touareg yet but i have done other immo cars. I bought a key blank from ebay (10$) i got it cut at my locksmith (20$) i bought a new immo48 id chip (2 bucks for 12) and used my VAG to program it. just start researching this forum NefMoto - Index i found everything i needed to match a key to my car

· Super Moderator
9,694 Posts
im not sure if that is entirely true. Do you have a VAG-com? ive not done it on my Touareg yet but i have done other immo cars. I bought a key blank from ebay (10$) i got it cut at my locksmith (20$) i bought a new immo48 id chip (2 bucks for 12) and used my VAG to program it. just start researching this forum NefMoto - Index i found everything i needed to match a key to my car
Can't do it via VCDS. No one has found a way as far as I know. The Dealer doesn't even have the SKC. They need to hook up to to the mother ship network to get it.

· Registered
2,067 Posts
Can't do it via VCDS. No one has found a way as far as I know. The Dealer doesn't even have the SKC. They need to hook up to to the mother ship network to get it.
X2. You can do it with VCDS on some OLDER VWs (1990s), but not on anything remotely recent. It's nice theft deterrent, but an absolute PITA if you lose a key.

· Registered
679 Posts
:nerd:

As he said. Due to it being a active and not a passive RFID. You can do with some 'special' tools, that cost a bit of $. Not even worth it to MANY locksmiths. >:)

· Registered
20,262 Posts
i did this with vcds on my b6 a4.

just check the chart for info....i hope it helps

Immobilizer - Ross-Tech Wiki
As already mentioned you need to get the code for the key to work from VW Germany.

If you think you can do it using VCDS then you'll need to demonstrate it on a Touareg key!

It would make a lot of people happy if they could avoid the 250+ US$/GB£/EU€ dealer cost!!

· Registered
76 Posts
As already mentioned you need to get the code for the key to work from VW Germany.

If you think you can do it using VCDS then you'll need to demonstrate it on a Touareg key!

It would make a lot of people happy if they could avoid the 250+ US$/GB£/EU€ dealer cost!!
this is the same thing i was told about my audi and it ended up being wrong. you don't need a mothership to get the skc. ill try it tomorrow on my touareg and show the results positive or negative.

· Registered
76 Posts
i have not tried this since i got my new scanner and the software isn't compatible with it. I ordered another old serial scanner and will try it again and see what happens. the software did say it was compatible with me7.1.1 ecus so I'm thinking it will work when i get another scanner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.