Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Touareg and I am looking for some new snow/winter tires.

Last year, I picked up a set of 17" wheels I planned to put snow tires on. I live in the suburbs of MA (Gloucester) so we have some rough winters with snow.

My current wheel/tire setup is the stock 19" Terra wheels with Continental DWS06. These tires have worn through their "snow" indicator but have plenty of "wet" and "dry" indicator left. So I want to get some 17" tires mounted on these 17" wheels I have to use in the snow.

Driving: Based on where I live, I jump on the highway and drive ~80 mph for 10 minutes to access other towns for work, friends, etc.

Why I want Wildpeak A/T3W? Because they would look SWEET on my Touareg and I can buy them locally from someone for very low $.

Does this tire in 265/70R17 fit my car? Would they work well in winter conditions? What are drawbacks of such a large tire?

Thanks!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Try Nokian tyres. They are the best snow tyre. They have a few different types that should suit your needs. I use the Hakkepillitas 08 studded in Northern Ontario Canada.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
This is a very useful tire/wheel sizing link,
Tire A is stock size on a stock VW canyon 17" rim, tire B is what you propose on the same rim.
I have run both 235/65-17 and 245/65-17 Nokian wrg3 tires for winters with no problems, what you propose is quite bigger, though.

·
Registered
290 Posts
IMO the 265 width is too wide for winter and your overall diameter will be too large for what specifications the car is geared for.

I got Nokian WRG3 235/65/17 for second set of snows for winter rims on our Touareg (came with 19's) and I think they work really well. Get all the traction I need here for western NY winters and ride better and handle better than the previous set of Cooper snow tires in same size.

Winter tires should be narrow and taller side walls than summer tires you run on your Touareg

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Falken Wildpeak AT3W also comes in 255 65 17 in XL load rating, and a 255 70 17 in SL load rating.

Which of these is best for my winter/general driving?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was looking for a narrow tire for winter, they work good on our 11 Touareg.

I thought the 235/65/17 was OE size for 17" rim pacakage but I am not 100% certain, You could use 255/60/17 if you were looking for a wider tire.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a 2010 Touareg and I am looking for some new snow/winter tires.

Last year, I picked up a set of 17" wheels I planned to put snow tires on. I live in the suburbs of MA (Gloucester) so we have some rough winters with snow.

My current wheel/tire setup is the stock 19" Terra wheels with Continental DWS06. These tires have worn through their "snow" indicator but have plenty of "wet" and "dry" indicator left. So I want to get some 17" tires mounted on these 17" wheels I have to use in the snow.

Driving: Based on where I live, I jump on the highway and drive ~80 mph for 10 minutes to access other towns for work, friends, etc.

Why I want Wildpeak A/T3W? Because they would look SWEET on my Touareg and I can buy them locally from someone for very low $.

Does this tire in 265/70R17 fit my car? Would they work well in winter conditions? What are drawbacks of such a large tire?

Thanks!
FWIW, I am also East Coast, MA. I run 18" snows. Everyone has their favorite but I've had excellent luck with Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snows 255/55. Nothing has stopped them yet. I've been out (legally) when the state has closed the roads for bilzzards, and up in the NH mountains, MA state forests, etc.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FWIW, I am also East Coast, MA. I run 18" snows. Everyone has their favorite but I've had excellent luck with Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snows 255/55. Nothing has stopped them yet. I've been out (legally) when the state has closed the roads for bilzzards, and up in the NH mountains, MA state forests, etc.
I have the 235 version of these on my 17" wheels now but they are from like 2010 and although they have life left, the age is what scares me so I am replacing. I may just more and up them to 255.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with 255 / 65 / 17 size tires. Very good price on Amazon w/ free shipping to local installer.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which tires did you buy ?
Sorry, right. I bought Falken Wildpeak AT3W 255/65/17. They were installed yesterday. I have only driven on them for a total of 1.5 hours so far on backroads and highway going 80mph. So far so good. Not very noisy (thanks to good cabin sound isolation in Toauregs). If this was a Jeep or something, I imagine the road noise being louder. Turn-in is definitely more vague than my prior 17" winter tires and MUCH more vague than my 19" wheels for summer w/ Continental tires. However, it's not that bad really. Also, tracking around corners is not bad either compared to my old 17" snow tires. I think that the extra width of these being 255 (vs 235 in prior winter tires) helps turn stability.

The tires have the 3 peak winter driving condition symbol on them.

They also look awesome! I will add some pics to this thread later today.

I will also report back with more observations when I get more time on them and when snow comes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You put your winters on already! Wow. I don't do that until late December typically.

Well they're not exactly assigned for duty as solely my winter tires. I put them on early to save my 19" summer tires from getting worn. My old 17" winter tires are date coded 2007 so I wanted to get those off because they are probably dangerous.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Those look like a tire that would be on my son's ZR1 Silverado ! The 255/65 profile must be about 2" taller than stock 19 package, is speedometer reading slower than actual speed you are traveling ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those look like a tire that would be on my son's ZR1 Silverado ! The 255/65 profile must be about 2" taller than stock 19 package, is speedometer reading slower than actual speed you are traveling ?
The Falken website lists these tires as having a 30" diameter. The Continental DWS 275/45/19 tires I run in summer have an overall diameter of 29". So it's 1 inch difference in diameter. I really have not had to test pure acceleration yet so I have not noticed a difference there..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also wonder what tire pressure I should be running in these new tires... Installation resulted in 35psi for all 4. I adjusted to 40 in rear tires and 36 in front based on total guess.

Any tips?

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's a can of worms and everyone claims to be an expert.

I've never had probs using the MFG recommendations on the door placard, no matter summer or winter tires.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I was looking for a narrow tire for winter, they work good on our 11 Touareg.

I thought the 235/65/17 was OE size for 17" rim pacakage but I am not 100% certain, You could use 255/60/17 if you were looking for a wider tire.
Certainly for Europe, the 235/65-17 is the standard winter size for 17" rims - for all-season use 255/60-17 is added for 17" rims.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
7 Participants
vdubya
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing