Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2010 TDI and it has an aftermarket trailer hitch install. While testing the trailer lights, I ran into a problem with no apparent power to the lights.

The trailer lights are hooked up with a husky trailer kit 18298, and I need some help diagnosing what's going on. I have already checked for a presence of a tow module, and nothing was ever installed. I need my trailer next weekend, so any assistance would be very helpful.

I am strongly debating just installing the factory tow module, but I really do need the trailer next weekend, so anything that can help me get lights to the trailer would be helpful as a short term fix.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more info,

It looks like I have a Curt trailer hitch kit installed, but I am not getting power to the control module. This "new" treg is only 48 hours old in my possession, so I think I can get the dealer to fix it for free under warrantee, or maybe get a cheap(ish) install for the factory tow module like I want.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Is the plug correct and is it set for NA or ROW?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the plug correct and is it set for NA or ROW?
I don't have a VAG-COM, so I have no idea. There is no factory tow module installed. I pulled the rear bumper cover and found that the Curt tow module hacks into the rear tail lights and bypasses the factory systems. I found that the only wire to the tow module was the positive battery connection, so I need to find a power source accessible from the right rear taillight to get things going, assuming the tow module isn't damaged or none functional.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I don't have a VAG-COM, so I have no idea. There is no factory tow module installed. I pulled the rear bumper cover and found that the Curt tow module hacks into the rear tail lights and bypasses the factory systems. I found that the only wire to the tow module was the positive battery connection, so I need to find a power source accessible from the right rear taillight to get things going, assuming the tow module isn't damaged or none functional.
Oh, sorry that doesn't sound so good...

Do more searching of towing treads here. I installed a factory hitch when I first bought mine in '10.

We found and connected to the module, but even with the factory harness we still needed a 7 pin plug and a reset of the computer from its factory ROW setting. Seems Eurpoean tow settings are different and I couldn't get brake lights.

Sorry to not be able to offer you more. Good luck with you fix.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, fortunately for now, I only need the lights available with the 4 pin connector. If I can get this existing setup working, then it will do for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts