Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have been a member for a while, don't remember last time I posted and this is definitely long overdue. I bought my T-reg round Thanksgiving 09 and have been in love with her since. It's amazing that to this day I still rave about the awesome service I got at the dealer and may actually drop in when I'm in the area just to say "hi" (Chris, if you're reading I'll be out in Langhorne next weekend :). So here goes...

I live in Pittsburgh, PA and decided that since my sig other (Geoff) has a sports car and we'd like to go off-road I should go for something more practical. I looked at a number of vehicles and was thoroughly unimressed by the selection in my price range. On our way back home, we saw a VW dealer and he said we should stop by to see if there's a Touareg. This seemed more pricey than I originally thought to spend, but alas we stopped. Driving behind the wheel of the TDI completely killed any chance the competition had and I was sold... unfortunately the dealer knew less about the car than we did and it was obvious we weren't going to purchase there. After a quick search we found club touareg and came across a post offering a custom 2010 at invoice. Yes, Chris, I thoguht this was a marketing scam of some sort to get my money, but I called anyway just to be sure. Long story short, I ended up driving 400mi away to get what I still consider to be the deal of a lifetime on this baby (and thanks mom and dad for the extra help).

It's been a little over a year now and I just hit the 15K mark last week. Do I love it? YES. Would I buy it again? ABSOLUTELY. But.. there have been a few issues that I think it's fair to share with you all:

1. A few months after I got it (maybe around 5K) my bluetooth system stopped working and the local dealer took almost 2 weeks to figure out the problem. I got to drive a Q7 during that time and missed my T-reg immensely. They had to replace some parts but got it working and it was perfect ever since. Really no big deal, just a bit annoying.

2. The second problem is much more significant, but VW handled it beautifully (after some applied pressure from yours truly). Geoff took the T-reg to CT to visit family and I stayed in the burgh to work. On his way back a red light came on and instructed him to get it serviced immediately. Somehow at 2pm on Sat after thanksgiving the service dept at the local dealer was closed and he was told to come back Mon... (this is a no-go because he had to come back for work, and driving back to CT is not so easy). After several stressful conversations with the sales manager it was discovered that the T-reg is covered by the "re-unite" program as part of the warranty (AWESOME) and Geoff came back in a mercedes C-class while the T-reg was getting worked on. Apparently it was a water pump failure (manufacturing defect) and they had a new one installed. By the following Sat we had the T-reg safely delivered to our house in Pgh on its own private truck! The benz went back to Hertz the following Mon. All this was covered in it's entirety by VW without additional hassles for us. Yes this was a crappy experience because the car broke down, but I commend VW for leaving us happy at the end of the day.

Do I still love my T-reg? DEFINITELY, and I think I owe her a detail for the new year. Would I buy is again? yes, and again, and again.

We're planning a trip to the Moab at the end of may (hence I'm back on this forum) and I'm looking for any tips I can get being a novice at the true off-roading thing. Prior off-road experience is messing around in death valley in a 4-runner (I think). So if anyone has any advice... or wants to refer me to specific threads it's all very appreciated!

thanks for reading :)
Diana

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Aha, another water pump failure. Diana, you are not alone!

But glad you are enjoying your car.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
yes...seems to be a rash of water pump failures on the v6 TDI

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow I had no idea... If so many of us are having problems maybe they should do a recall...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
That's been suggested!

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
Recall for something being replaced under warranty? It is still of no cost to you and they have been giving loaner cars or picking up rental cost, so not really something to recall at this point since they all have went out under warranty.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
Audi seems to have the same problem (waterpump) on the new V6 TFSI...must be a new supplier or something.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Recall for something being replaced under warranty? It is still of no cost to you and they have been giving loaner cars or picking up rental cost, so not really something to recall at this point since they all have went out under warranty.
yeah but it's a really big inconvenience if you're far away from a dealer (with having it towed, etc) and can potentially cause other damage if not addressed immediately. It would be much more convenient to go in on your own time to have it replaced.

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
yeah but it's a really big inconvenience if you're far away from a dealer (with having it towed, etc) and can potentially cause other damage if not addressed immediately. It would be much more convenient to go in on your own time to have it replaced.
Part of that warranty is 24/7 roadside assistance as well. They have all been going out under warranty so far to, but I suppose a TSB could be set up for it.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As I understand it, the machine that puts a ring of gasket sealant on before the water pump is attached wasn't doing the complete circle so the pump sealed well enough to get out the factory gate and on to the customer, but eventually it has been letting go.

It's the buggeration factor that's the problem.

VW know they have a problem.

Their QA system ought to be able to identify the chassis numbers for the period the gasket applicator was a problem and then organise a recall at the customer's convenience rather than wait for the customer to break down and thus ruin that customer's day or, worse still, their holiday plans.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts

Their QA system ought to be able to identify the chassis numbers for the period the gasket applicator was a problem and then organise a recall at the customer's convenience rather than wait for the customer to break down and thus ruin that customer's day or, worse still, their holiday plans.
x2

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
As I understand it, the machine that puts a ring of gasket sealant on before the water pump is attached wasn't doing the complete circle so the pump sealed well enough to get out the factory gate and on to the customer, but eventually it has been letting go.

That was how it was explained to me as well when I picked mine up. They said you could see it was applied by a machine there was a start and stop, but no over lap, just the gap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
x792.

Water pump failure as well. Though I got a camry not a benz rental :(

Took 10 Days for dealer to get part and fix.

V6TDI '10

1 - 13 of 13 Posts