Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V10,2010 R50
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys
Can anyone please give me some advice with a tailgate that wont open.This is what happens when I press the tailgate switch the catch solenoid works the tailgate opens about 5mm then it partially closes but needs downwards pressure to lock in.Ive pulled the trim off and accessed the solenoid but when its manually moved over the tailgate is rock solid it wont lift upwards ive checked all fuses in the right and left cabin fuseboxes removed and tested relay 404 are there any more?
after the vcds scan it came up with
1 Fault Found
03234 Functionality Limited due to Critical Electrical Condition
000----Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status 00100000
Fault Priority:3
Reset counter:97
Time Indication:0
i used vcds to check the pump was showing it had power and was drawing about 20 amps
This is the 1st time ive had any issues with the tailgate in the 5months ive owned the car
what i was thinking to do next was to remove the hydraulic lines at the pump end under rear seat and see if it would manually lift but im open to any suggestions
Thanks for reading and any help will be appreciated
John

·
Registered
588 Posts
The tailgate isn`t hydraulic. It is two struts with integral electric motors with gears & cogs. They do wear out over time & use.

Can you hear any noise from them that sounds odd as the motors are clearly audible in normal operation.

Try assisting by gently lifting as it tries to open.

·
Super Moderator
9,658 Posts
Is the flap on the sill plate broke or is it still intact. My '10 acted up for awhile and I knew the flap on the sill plate was suspect. I removed it and it functions as normal. I believe it detects resistance and tries to shut it again or not allow it to open. I have since replaced the sill plate with a new used one that the flap works. If that does not work then you may have something going on with the lift.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The tailgate isn`t hydraulic. It is two struts with integral electric motors with gears & cogs. They do wear out over time & use.

Can you hear any noise from them that sounds odd as the motors are clearly audible in normal operation.

Try assisting by gently lifting as it tries to open.

The 7L6 is hydraulic, it has a pump under the rear LHS seat and lines running up the rear pillar to a cylinder that is spring assisted.
How do all the other gas struts 'feel' are they strong--does the glass window stay up? If they are going weak the hydraulics are not strong enough. Pull it open all the way up. My guess is the pump stalled and raised the 'critical electrical condition' fault.
There are 4 struts in total, 2 large spring assisted (One of them on the LHS is hydraulic also) and 2 plain gas struts that operate the glass window.
To change them isn't too bad,
  1. Remove the rear cover that goes across the top of the boot roof lining by carefully prying it down. There are about 5 pegs that pop into the roof steelwork.
  2. Remove the rear 2 pillar covers which again pop onto the steelwork and are removed diagonally across towards the opposite front of the car.
  3. Remove the 'C' Pillars by removing the airbag badge and removing the screw from behind the badge. Carefully prey the 'C' Pillar by popping out the front edge that is in the side door aperture. Carefully peel it out and slightly up. It doesn't come out fully due to the seat belt, but you just want roof space
  4. Remove the rear seat grab handles which are held in place by 2 bolts under little hinged covers.
  5. Now return to the rear of the car, in the middle, there are (IIRC) 2 clips that hold the roof lining up at the back centre and you can pinch the hangars together through the steelwork to release them.
  6. Pry the roof lining down to expose 2 plastic covers under the gas struts that seal the inside from the outside of the car.
  7. The covers are held with about 6-8 Torx plastic screws. Remove them all and double-check there is one on the front outermost corner tucked up that is easily missed.
  8. Now the yucky part--the covers are pried down as they are stuck with bodywork sealer which is non-setting--it is like a sticky tarlike substance.
  9. Now the covers are off it gives you access to the rear strut mounts which can be replaced with picks to clip the springs.
I found if I order struts off ebay listed for the Touareg they come 5mm too short so the tailgate does not open enough for my 6'2" frame.
So I replaced them with 550N x 320mm struts and the boot opens as good as new. Be careful putting the new struts in that you don't get the black sticky gunk on the strut rod as it pulls through the seal and breaks the strut prematurely.
I would change all 3 non-hydraulic struts before touching the hydraulic one as bleeding a system that has the cylinder 3 foot above the pump and reservoir is a pain.

·
Registered
2006 V10,2010 R50
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys
I've been busy preparing my black one for sale and didn't get any notifications of replies to my tailgate problem.
This is my situation at the moment the tailgate window opens normally gas springs seem up to the job they lift it
fully open if i lift it horizontal.
All the hatch trims have been removed,rear seats, passenger and drivers side trims that cover rear air con and
convenience modules.removed and replaced fuses for hatch back operation
I have accessed the hydraulic motor and applied 12v directly to pump whilst my wife operated the manual release
on the tailgate it tries to lift pump works but only moves a fraction suggesting its the latching at fault as Yeti mentioned
I have sourced a replacement tailgate module 7L6 959 107 and would like to know where its located?
i got a print out from my VW parts guy which indicated it was inthe area where the convenience modules are but its not there
This may appear brutal to some of you but what I'm doing at the moment is drilling the hatch latch bolts out from inside
once that is done I hopefullly will be able to apply power to Hydraulic motor to lift Hatch enough to see what's going on
One thing in the back of my mind is a damaged wire but i cant access that area yet as tailgate is solid
All the removal work wont be in vain because both my rear side window chrome trims have faded so they needed to be
replaced and i believe the windows have to be removed if anyone knows any for sale please let me know
Thanks again John Still "Love" the car!

·
Registered
2006 V10,2010 R50
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well drilling the screws out didnt help. Tailgate still shut solid
Any Suggestions ?
Thanks John

·
Registered
697 Posts
Can you look at which wiring does what on the electrical catch and put a voltage across it to release?

·
Registered
697 Posts
How easy is it to lift the boot floor and extract the spare tyre then view the pin the catch clamps on, might be able to get to its mounting points and let the tailgate take the assembly with it where it can be stripped with the tailgate open?

·
Registered
2006 V10,2010 R50
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for suggestions I'll take a photo and post it up I put all connections back together and did the vcds step through the pump started going but didnt lift Tailgate. Pump has a clear plastic reservoir and there was a bit of cavitation when it was operating Just been in the boot again the photo wasnt clear but the chisel is pointing to the latch
Thanks for your interest John
IMG_4658.JPG

·
Registered
2006 V10,2010 R50
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats Not my hair I'm pulling out!! Previous owner had a German Shepherd at least the car will have a thorough detail when its sorted.

·
Registered
697 Posts
So can you open the boot? Pulling it up by hand. It's designed to be overridden?

·
Registered
2006 V10,2010 R50
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive overridden the hatch release lever from inside, the tailgate opens 5mm and rock solid after that.I think its a two stage soft close set up so maybe the first stage is working missing the second then starting the pump which is fighting against the latch I thought drilling the screws out would have allowed the latch to stay behind but nothing has changed
Iknow how heavy the Tailgate is as ive changed the struts on my black one but this wont budge no matter how much i help it

·
Registered
2006 V10,2010 R50
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will speak to Jamie at VA Technik to try and find where this Tailgate module is located(7L6 959 107) ive got a feeling it will be in the dashboard!!!

·
Registered
2006 V10,2010 R50
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I joined up the Elsa technical site for an hour and downloaded a load of stuff(definitely worth it), one section showed me where the tailgate module is located in the boot its at floor level in the left hand rear side of the boot I didnt notice it because its behind the rear air con system
This job is getting bigger than Ben Hur! I read else where that the accesory battery will switch off different functions if the battery goes under a certain voltage I checked voltage (battery 2 months old and it showed 11.8V) Its fully charged up now but still wont open tailgate
Tomorrow I will disconnect the hydraulic lines to the pump and see if i can manually lift tailgate so I can remove the struts and test them out
The new owner is coming to pick up the black one tomorrow morning and ive got serious doubts in my mind that I'm selling the best one but time will tell

·
Registered
2006 V10,2010 R50
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I’ve got the tailgate open Hoorah!!
From inside the boot I levered the locking latch across, whilst my son
Dragged and lifted the hatch from the outside up once open Previously we had only been lifting
It was clear once open that the soft closing lock mechanism had jammed in the closed position
08F06166-164B-4F93-BE3D-431525F2A1F4.jpeg

·
Registered
2006 V10,2010 R50
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didnt have to disconnect hydraulic lines to pump and remove the quick release fittings,As far as bleeding it,that was easy as , undone the centre plug in the reservoir poured hydraulic oil in,operated the opening,closing operation a few times topping up reservoir and the pump bled itself
There is a mark on the reservoir, when hatch is down fill to the mark

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,413 Posts
Nice work John.
An R50 is worth the perseverance.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,388 Posts
Congratulations. Glad you got it working.

Controller saw that the motor was pulling too many amps (due to stalling) and flagged critical electrical error.

What really happened was that latch was not releasing. Motor was trying to open what was a locked door. Motor stalled, pulling too many amps and controller set error code for critical electrical error.

Moral of the story: You have to have VCDS to work on a Touareg, but often the error code is due to something other that what it appears. Yes, the motor stalled, but the motor was not the problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts