Club Touareg Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Administrator
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pleased to announce that the 2010 Colorado Touareg 4x4 Rally will return after last summers hiatus. Dates and locations have yet to be announced, so please stay tuned for future updates and announcements!

·
Super Moderator
9,387 Posts
Very nice since I have a new Treg I want to try out offroad. I am glad it is making a return. :)

·
Administrator
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew that you of all people would be especially happy to hear this news!

·
Super Moderator
9,387 Posts
If you think it for sure is going to be back in Ouray, send me a message or text so we can try to get the warehouse reserved, if it is still even available since it has been up for sale. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,387 Posts
We are now in the new year, Chris, RJ, have you guys given any thought to this yet? If it is back in Ouray let's get a date so we can maybe get places booked for rooms/rentals. :) Yes, I know I am overly anxious, but I am missing the trails and want to play!! :)

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Dude... it's three days into the new year and the holiday weekend ends today.... have a beer... grab a cigar... sit back and relax brothuh.

·
Administrator
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AS you know, nothing announced yet. We are trying to find the right date that doesn't conflict with other Ralleyes or gatherings in and around Ouray.

·
Registered
591 Posts
2010 Colorado 4X4 Rally

As many of you may remember, a group of Touareg friends has gathered in Ouray during July for 4 of the past 5 years for a week of Touareg commraderie, mountain 4 wheeling, and an all-around good time.

I am pleased to announce that the group will be meeting again during the week of Sunday, July 25, 2010, through Friday, July 30, 2010, in Ouray, Colorado. Since this group all met on ClubTouareg and VWVortex, forum members are invited to join us.

The general plan will include a Sunday afternoon get-together on July 25. We will probably have some heavy snacks or light dinner for the party which we will ask participants to ante up $ for. We will run trails on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday as a group(s) and Wednesday is set as an open date for participants to take advantage of other attractions in the area (Durango/Silverton Train, mine tours, mill tours, etc.) as they may wish. We will probably be taking a short geo-caching hike to an abandoned turntable on the Silverton Northern RR as example.

While the trails have not been finalized, I am hopeful that we will try a couple of new trails this year to provide a little new life to the week.

No off-roading experience is necessary to join the group. While the trails will vary from easy to difficult, there will be plenty of experienced participants to provide advice and guidance, and many novice off-roaders have used this opportunity to learn and enjoy the capabilities of these wonderful Touaregs. No serious damage has ever occurred to a Toureg on the rally (but no guarantee here) and no one has ever been left behind on a trail. There WILL be some requirements for the Touaregs in the rally (like a full-size spare) but more detail on those will be forthcoming.

There are a wide variety of accomodations in Ouray ranging from a luxury old hotel to motels to private home rentals to RV parks to tent camping although I wouldn't recommend tent camping for a week during the afternoon monsoon season. Several of the participants will be renting houses for the week and a starting point for researching availability might be;

Ouray City, Ouray County, and Ridgway, Real Estate - Ouray Realty & Investments

You may post questions here or PM me if you wish.

Plan to join us. It will be one of your best vacations ever.

Rick

·
Super Moderator
9,387 Posts
Very nice!! So I guess I will get the new TDI out on the trails after all. :mrgreen: New Treg with different tires from the last time I was there, so it will be testing new grounds. I hope we will see some new faces as well since we have had some inquiries about it. We already have a call into Ouray Realty to see what is even still available.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
:dance:

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yeah, hopefully the timing will work out for Terri and I. Would love to come out and see if I can break something . . . :p

and finally meet some of you folks! :clap:

·
Super Moderator
9,387 Posts
Yeah, hopefully the timing will work out for Terri and I. Would love to come out and see if I can break something . . . :p

and finally meet some of you folks! :clap:
I would honestly look for a set of 17 or 18" wheels to put some taller offroad capable tires on before you come out. Leave the 19" ones at home so they don't get scratched or you destroy one of those tires.

·
Lifetime Member
266 Posts
I am planning on coming as well. Adventure starts way earlier for me as I plan on driving from DC area. Hopefully, I make it safely on time to CO and back. Wondering if my 18" Nokians WRs will hold up on the trails?

·
Registered
839 Posts
I would honestly look for a set of 17 or 18" wheels to put some taller offroad capable tires on before you come out. Leave the 19" ones at home so they don't get scratched or you destroy one of those tires.
I'm not too concerned about these tires. Pirelli 255/55/19s are actually 30.3" versus the 30" calculation with more than 3/4" more sidewall than the stock 19". They are also a real ATR tire. Not real concerned about a pinch flat and definitely not concerned about enough tread.

The wheels? A different story. I am concerned about them but these wheels are too nice to not use daily and on the 10 hour trip to get there, the Treg drives/rides amazing with them, and since we offroad in the summer and winter is well winter, I would constantly be swapping wheels/tires back and forth to use 17s or simply just not use the 19s at all. So this is a compromise.

If I have a REALLY good stock option sell in May, I might reconsider. Otherwise, I'll probably see you all on my oversized Pirelli ATR 19s.

I will at least pick up a full size spare.

·
Super Moderator
9,387 Posts
I am planning on coming as well. Adventure starts way earlier for me as I plan on driving from DC area. Hopefully, I make it safely on time to CO and back. Wondering if my 18" Nokians WRs will hold up on the trails?
Your Nokians will be fine although the trail may tear them up a little. I used those for my tires for the first two rallies I attended. Actually worked really well in mud because of the sipping.

·
Super Moderator
9,387 Posts
I will at least pick up a full size spare.
A full size spare is required to run with us so you have a proper spare tire to get you off the mountain. Other stuff needed/highly recommended will be posted later by the organizers.

·
Administrator
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is kind of a pay to play event. In the past I have highly recommended (and might have even required) a minimum of 18" tires. I will not require that you have 18" rims as a minimum but anything else does increase the change of sidewall damage and pinch flat damage, not to mention rim damage. This has happened in the past. The nearest Discount Tire is in Grand Junction, a little over two hours away or in Durango. Big O is in Montrose is 45 minutes. All places will probably require a 2-3 day order on any tires that are not in stock which is pretty much any tire that is not a 265/70/17 BFG All Terrain TA.

The one absolute requirement is a full size matching spare for your vehicle. Any vehicle that arrives without one will not be able to run with our groups. As Yeti said, as the start of the event approaches, equipment lists will be posted with recommended items and recommended recovery gear for your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Well, enough pieces of the puzzle seem to have come together for me to say I'm in. Still unclear is whether I'll arrive in Ouray with any family or friends. :rolleyes: But at this point it looks like I'm good for the duration. Definitely looking forward to it. Thanks--Chris

·
Super Moderator
9,387 Posts
Well, enough pieces of the puzzle seem to have come together for me to say I'm in. Still unclear is whether I'll arrive in Ouray with any family or friends. :rolleyes: But at this point it looks like I'm good for the duration. Definitely looking forward to it. Thanks--Chris
Sweet and maybe you can caravan out with someone else from back there so as not to drive out by yourself. We a deposit in on the Warehouse. So we are pretty commited to the Rally our selves. :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Great to hear we may have new friends out there in the San Juans!

Yeah, the tire thing can be a hassle but definitely a requirement. Tires are lost out there and having a proper spare is the insurance for a good week.

Other items - first aid kit, flashlights, tow straps - as a group we probably have these but if you plan to offroad other places these are necessity. Last Colorado event we tow-strapped two Touaregs; I have had other opportunities to use them, sometimes just as a precaution in a tricky situation.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.