Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all...I am thinking of replacing my aging Infiniti M35 with either a V6 or TDI version of this SUV. I am 6'8" tall and there is a company called extendmyseat that makes extended seat rails for it. What I'm curious about is a few things in the audio dept. I know without a doubt it will be the executive trim for that coveted Dynaudio system.

1) What year was bluetooth audio (music) introduced in the T? My 2011 S5 does not have it. I'm guessing 2012 or 2013--but were there any "improvements" to it in the later years?

2) Which trims come with DVD player (apparently in glovebox--never in dash?) and can it play DVD-Video (music) in true 5.1 Surround? My S5 B&O system can and i have plenty of DVD-Audio discs that sound fantastic in there--is the Dynaudio system also capable?

3. From what i can determine, they never add "regular" USB ports and instead use the Audi-like proprietary connector for aux-in?

3) (Not audio related) Do you think it is worth the $$ these days for a lo-mile final US year 2016 TDI Executive (for Dynaudio) model after "dieselgate"? :) Of course they go up to 40g now...but seem to last forever.

Thanks!

·
Registered
372 Posts
1. Any vehicle with the RNS850 (Nav) would have Bluetooth. All 2011+ Execs will have the RNS850. AFAIK firmaware upgrades/updates were applicable to all RNS850 units. They really didn't change.
2. Any vehicle with the RNS850 will come with the DVD player in the glove box- I believe the models are Sport w/ Tech, Lux, and Exec. The DynAudio system can play true 5.1, the non-DynAudio RNS850 can play 5.1 sources in 4.1, and does it very well IMO. I have REM DVD Audio (New Adventures in HiFi) in 5.1 and 'Leave' sounds great, the guitar 'siren' sound circling around you through the whole song. I also have the BlueRay Audio Monster 25th Anniversary set ripped to FLAC in 5.1, transcoded to M4a 256 kbps 5 channel and it sounds great, the surround sound preserved. One note- the Touareg does not support Dolby or other surround modes except PCM.
3. I don't really remember- You'll get the best functionality from your Android device via Bluetooth. Apple can use the MDI to Apple interface du'jour adapter cables. You can also get a MDI to USB adapter, but it's for external storage, not charging or controlling an Android phone. Iirc there is a separate 1/8 mini stereo input, but who uses that anymore?
4. I would consider a Lux as well, but the Execs are loaded. You can flash the regular RNS850 to DynaAudio sound profile and the difference is amazing. You don't get the center channel speaker or higher powered amps, but the sound is pretty darn good. Way, way better than stock. I have a '16 TDI Lux I bought new just over a year ago, so obviously I think they're worth it. They have a lower TCO and higher reliability than their main competition, the ML/GLE 350 and X5. If the feature set suits your needs, yeah, it should definitely be on your short list.

AS an aside, I'm 6'6" and do not need a seat extender. I think it's a toss-up as to whether you will need one for the Touareg- have you sat in one yet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great information---thanks! I have finally sat in one since i sent this, which was a '17 Wolfsburg Edition. The fit was driveable, but the mentioned rails would make it perfect. I am an all-leg 6'8" (38" inseam) so that really narrows things down quickly.

I actually have a phone with the elusive 3.5mm headphone jack (LG V40) so that would be my preferred connection anyway.

Question about the DVD-Audio disc--does it play the actual surround tracks on the disc--or does it need to be converted? In re-reading I think the disc has to have PCM 5.1 option? Did you say it will only play hi-res "m4a"(Apple?) not direct FLAC? I have REM Automatic For The People DVD-Audio and "Drive"/"Find The River" are glorious played directly off disc in my S5.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have a 34" inseam, so your knees would probably be bumping the panels, so yeah, the extensions would make it perfect :)
Eh... I have a Note 8 and a headphone jack, but you get no track control. My best experience is SD cards- I can go through my process if you're interested.
It plays the actual Disc. DVD-Audio should be PCM- usually 2 channel (stereo) and 5 channel (5.1) which you select in the Disc home screen, just like on a DVD player. Your Automatic For The People will play perfectly. REM does a fantastic job on their DVD-Audio/BlueRay discs. Take it along and play it. It will play in any Touareg with the RNS850, it will just sound like crap without the mod on a non-DynAudio system. You'll also want to enable VIM (video in motion) to be able to navigate the disc while in motion- otherwise you navigate it blind if you're not in Park.
It will NOT play lossless m4a (aka Apple lossless). It will NOT play FLAC. It plays M4a, mp3, or wma at max bitrate of 320 kbps. Anything 192kbps or higher in MPEG 4 Audio (m4a) is considered high-res. Even though it's high-res, it's still a lossy format. Apple Lossless or FLAC are true lossless, but will not play in the Touareg. Pedantic, maybe, but just want to be clear :)
I transcode my FLACs to m4a 256 kbps and they sound great. I doubt anyone could hear the difference between the DVD and 256 kbps m4a. Playing from SD card is much more convenient as well, IMO. If you're super picky, you could do 320kbps m4a, but you're just wasting space on your SD card.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately I have to directly come at the pedals as i cannot due the "side access" action without leg pain--so the only option I've found where i could do that is a 2007 Infiniti M35. With a "fulcrum" adjusting steering wheel (only the wheel itself moves, not the base) I have several inches of space with my knees under it.

I am very aware of all those audio formats so thanks for the clarification :)

Funny you should mention that VIM mod as I just did that with my S5 for that very reason. I'm sure its a similar VAG process with the T.

Not sure if you know, but the Exec trim prior to 2017 is a bit vague. I believe they are 20' wheels (not 21")...but does it include the desired adaptive cruise control & lane departure warning system (my S5 is missing this)? Even a 90K MB GLS450 doesn't have this without an even pricier option!

BTW...your 6'6" frame may not need the extender, but it may make things more comfortable with more space/freedom. Check them out here...http://extendmyseat.com/brands/Volkswagen.html

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
932 Posts
The available leg length will vary according to the height you have the seat set - it's longest at its lowest setting but the linkage rotates forward as the seat goes up so shortens slightly.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec
35 Posts
Funny you should mention that VIM mod as I just did that with my S5 for that very reason. I'm sure its a similar VAG process with the T.

Not sure if you know, but the Exec trim prior to 2017 is a bit vague. I believe they are 20' wheels (not 21")...but does it include the desired adaptive cruise control & lane departure warning system (my S5 is missing this)? Even a 90K MB GLS450 doesn't have this without an even pricier option!
I just went through the same internal debate about features, and bought my car last week. I was committed to the Exec trim, not only for Dynaudio, but for the rear seat heaters. If you feel like it, the full info is in the brochures, which I studied in depth. (See here: Volkswagen Car & Truck PDF Sales Brochure/Catalog/Flyer/Info 411 Arteon Atlas Beetle Campmobile CC Eos Golf GTI R Jetta Karmann Ghia Passat Phaeton Rabbit Routan Scirocco Squareback Station Wagon Super Beetle Tiguan Touareg Type 3<)

All Execs 2011+ came with 20" wheels. The 2016+ Execs had a 21" wheel option that looks similar. (There's one white '16 TDI Exec on the market whose previous owner "downgraded" to 18s. I checked every ad and verified the trim at vwdieselinfo with the VIN.)

2014+ Execs all have Area View, the 360-degree camera system... which was on my must-have list.

In 2015, the Driver Assistance Package was an option on the Execs that got you ACC and Lane Assist. Side assist was part of the Exec trim. I wanted ACC and the camera, but only for its later mod potential. The Lane Assist on the Touaregs isn't active, only a wheel buzzer.

2016+ Execs have the same driver assistance aids as the 2015s with DAP, plus they add ventilated front seats and the power-adjustable memory steering column from the hybrid.

I may be missing something, but that's the major rundown.

Happy hunting!

P.S. VIM is an easy mod with VCDS.

P.P.S. There's a great writeup out there somewhere about adding a sub to the Dynaudio system to round out the lows. I found it back when I had my 2011, but haven't looked for it again yet.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yup :) Found that out first day. IME it's backwards, usually a higher seat gives more distance from the pedals. Still plenty comfy though, and I don't wack my head getting in and out with the lower seat position.
The available leg length will vary according to the height you have the seat set - it's longest at its lowest setting but the linkage rotates forward as the seat goes up so shortens slightly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts