Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am new to the forum here. I just bought a 2009 vw touareg with the vr6 engine. It has 55000 miles onit and I got it cheap. It got delivered today and when I started it, I noticed the exhaust was very loud. Once I got under it I saw the exhaust was cut and looks like it is missing something under there. I looked under the hood and the pipe from the engine going under the car are there with the cats and all the sensors. Now my question is, are there rear cats on these cars? I was trying to find a picture of the undercarriage on google, but I can't find one where I can see all the pipe. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Post a picture(s) of the underside of your car.

And in the meantime do read this thread carefully to get up to speed on your new car. It will probably save you money at some stage as well as teach you things you don't know!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
There should be a couple catalytic converters a resonator and a muffler. if you post a picture we could definitely give you a better idea of what is happening. The VR6 sounds excellent with exhaust work though so maybe just leave it lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I won't be able to get a picture of it until monday. The vehicle is at the shop, but I spoke to the mechanic and they said they welded a straight pipe to it. The cats coming off the exhaust manifold are there, but I think the secondary cats are not there. Will see how it sounds without them and hopefully it does not become a problem for the yearly inspection here in NY. I will attach a picture of what I think is missing though. If it doesn't throw any engine lights I'm just going to leave it.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Huh, cool. Definitely leave if no lights. Sound clip?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to the shop on monday. I will try to get a sound clip some time next week if I can.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sounds like some meth head modified your exhaust system for those cats. Delivered like that? I would’ve had the seller deal with it as it won’t pass emissions with a section of exhaust missing,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I bought the vehicle from a salvage auction. I have always wanted a touareg of that design for a long time and I found one with low mileage so I couldn't pass it up. I did not expect the rear cats to be missing though. All it needed was a rear bumper cover and a tail light. I will have to wait and see if it throws and code. I know there is no sensor after the rear cats, so hopefully it works without them, otherwise I'll have to bite the bullet and get a set of rear cats. I think what happened is that somebody decided to cut the cats off and sell them for scrap. I hear they sell for good money at salvage yards. The cuts on the exhaust pipe were really clean like somebody deliberately cut them off. I also bought my VW CC from the same auction, but I had no issues like this with it.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Here in the UK people steal catalytic convertors and sell them for £20 to unscrupulous scrapyard merchants.

They use battery powered angle grinders.

4x4s are good targets as they don't even have to jack the car up for the couple of minutes it takes to steal the cats.

·
Registered
48 Posts

The VR6 has two exhaust manifolds feeding a cat each. They come together at a flex pipe then go to a resonator.
The photos above are from the first one I fixed. It lasted 6 years.
I have redone the first one with a better flex pipe. And bought a second Touareg that also needed this repair.
Enjoy,

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies. I thought I would post an update. I have not been able to take a picture yet, but I was able to check the car and the mechanic welded 2 pipes to the muffler from the down pipes coming off the engine. The car is quiet and makes no noise at all. No engine light either, so I think I am going to leave it for now. I have to wait for a salvage inspection until I can put it on the road and get the yearly NYS inspection for it. I don't think I should have nay problems because most shops don't even do a visual inspection anyways, they just check for coade and if there aren't any. they slap a sticker on it and thats it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts