Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have a 2009 Touareg with original RNS 510. The backup camera comes on too slow at times, so I would like to do a firmware upgrade. Has anybody done it? Does the upgrade help in terms of camera speed?

Also, what is the highest firmware version I can upgrade to? 1142? 3xxx?

Any input would be very helpful, thanks guys :)

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
1142 is the highest it will go for the NA models. The Euro firmwares will not work on it at all. You will go from BU cam being slow to randomly not coming on at all with this firmware. Pick your poison and decide which you would rather have. It does improve the speed of which it comes on though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1142 is the highest it will go for the NA models. The Euro firmwares will not work on it at all. You will go from BU cam being slow to randomly not coming on at all with this firmware. Pick your poison and decide which you would rather have. It does improve the speed of which it comes on though.
Thanks for the reply Yeti :)

Can I upgrade the original firmware straight to 1142? And, how often does it not come on? Do you still have the 1142 link? Thanks :)

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
I am not sure about going from I think it was 320 to 1142. I did all of them as they came out. None of them but the second one was even recognized by VW. I think the one VW would do was 380. I no longer have the link nor do I think have the disk I made from it anymore. Was really no need to keep it after the update was done. I do to be fair have a BU cam calibration error when I do a full scan of my Touareg. Not sure if the dealer can perform the calibration and if that has something to do with it not coming on all the time. That is the only error for BU cam I get when scanning. You may be able to find a viable link if you join VWNavi.com.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure about going from I think it was 320 to 1142. I did all of them as they came out. None of them but the second one was even recognized by VW. I think the one VW would do was 380. I no longer have the link nor do I think have the disk I made from it anymore. Was really no need to keep it after the update was done. I do to be fair have a BU cam calibration error when I do a full scan of my Touareg. Not sure if the dealer can perform the calibration and if that has something to do with it not coming on all the time. That is the only error for BU cam I get when scanning. You may be able to find a viable link if you join VWNavi.com.
Thanks Yeti. Also, I have this Bluetooth audio setting ACTIVE in my Touareg, what does it do? Can it connect to iphone or something?

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
Thanks Yeti. Also, I have this Bluetooth audio setting ACTIVE in my Touareg, what does it do? Can it connect to iphone or something?
You could connect if the Bluetooth module is actually in your car. 09 was a weird year in that it had the RNS 510 with Bluetooth capability, but for some the module is not there. My 10 has it and I use it for phone calls only. I guess you could use it for more. I just don't store any music on my phone at all or use it for a media player.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You can upgrade from 320 righ tto the 1142. I did it with mine as well as the latest maps. Took about an hour to do the upgrade. The bluetooth functionality depends on which bluetooth unit you have if any. if you have the 9w3 unit it will give you the phonebook and phone calls on the RNS. If you have the 9w7 you can stream audio but some have had issues with the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could connect if the Bluetooth module is actually in your car. 09 was a weird year in that it had the RNS 510 with Bluetooth capability, but for some the module is not there. My 10 has it and I use it for phone calls only. I guess you could use it for more. I just don't store any music on my phone at all or use it for a media player.
Thanks a lot Yeti :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can upgrade from 320 righ tto the 1142. I did it with mine as well as the latest maps. Took about an hour to do the upgrade. The bluetooth functionality depends on which bluetooth unit you have if any. if you have the 9w3 unit it will give you the phonebook and phone calls on the RNS. If you have the 9w7 you can stream audio but some have had issues with the steering wheel controls.
Hey :) does your unit have the backup camera not coming on issue after upgrade?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I'm not into this stuff at all, but having read other threads on updating these RNS thingummies, isn't there a known risk of bricking the unit?

·
Registered
126 Posts
That is exactly what I had. Updated fine. I think the issue people have had is trying to update to an unsupported version (i.e. a Euro version on a NA unit).

Updated to 1142 and the latest maps no problem. Took about 45 minutes for the software and 45 minutes for the maps.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Here's a pic of what i have. Can i upgrade this unit to 1142? If not, what version would enable better support for SD cards?

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F6DF79C771D572C2!96890&authkey=!AG7ivtSty4oqooQ&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg

I have the same model and upgraded it to 1142 and as you do it the hardware part number changes to "B" & software changes to a "D". Works perfect with the Bluetooth module 9W3. SD cards work perfect with my RNS510 since the upgrade.

RNS510 : Part No SW: 7L6 035 684 D HW: 7L6 035 684
Bluetooth: Part No SW: 1Z0 035 729 C HW: 1Z0 035 729 C

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the same model and upgraded it to 1142 and as you do it the hardware part number changes to "B" & software changes to a "D". Works perfect with the Bluetooth module 9W3. SD cards work perfect with my RNS510 since the upgrade.

RNS510 : Part No SW: 7L6 035 684 D HW: 7L6 035 684
Bluetooth: Part No SW: 1Z0 035 729 C HW: 1Z0 035 729 C
Are you experiencing any issues with the backup camera once you upgraded to 1142?

I've done this firmware upgrade recently and the backup camera will only work once per vehicle startup. If I shut it down and restart, it will work again, but only once. Big time frustrating :anger:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Are you experiencing any issues with the backup camera once you upgraded to 1142?

I've done this firmware upgrade recently and the backup camera will only work once per vehicle startup. If I shut it down and restart, it will work again, but only once. Big time frustrating :anger:
No issues at all. Camera works 9.9 times out of 10. Any fault codes on the camera or RNS510?

·
Registered
559 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts