Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've been scouring the forums and seem to find a mixed response to my question, and would really appreciate any feedback.

I'm looking at a 56k mile 2009 3.0 TDI, full service history, but no notes on the gearbox oil change.

The dealer says its not essential and that "the oil does not lose its properties under the influence of high temperature and is designed for a very long period of use Volkswagen Touareg". My understanding is that its suggested to be changed at 40k miles.

Would it be best to avoid buying this altogether? Or at 56k, well driven and maintained, is it hit or miss as to whether it'll have any gearbox issues?

A good friend of mine picked up the same year and same engine Q5 and immediately got stung with a £10k bill for a new gear box, as it turned out it was never changed - I definitely don't want that!

Thanks in advance.

M

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
899 Posts
ATF definitely deteriorates with high temperatures - but that's at temperatures above the transmission's designed level

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response - what’s your advice on whether it’s ok without the Gearbox service at 40k?

·
Registered
654 Posts
80K unless you are towing something heavy for a lot of your miles.

This has been talked to death on here over many years!

Dealers aren't particularly knowledgeable on Touaregs!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much - apologies if I’m repeating a question that’s been talked about like crazy. I spent a lot of time looking for answers on here, rather than just post first!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Thanks so much - apologies if I’m repeating a question that’s been talked about like crazy. I spent a lot of time looking for answers on here, rather than just post first!
Really?

·
Registered
813 Posts
56k on stock fluid is fine, but EVERY dealer in existence will tell you that their special dealer fluid is a life fluid.. I call hogwash. Definitely find the proper service interval and change it, but 56k is fine.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Additives break down over time and with all the temperature swings between days and nights and different seasons. So, even if a car has a relatively low mileage, but is well over 10 years old, it might make sense to change any and all fluids in it, including that of the transmission.

If one does it with aftermarket fluids/parts and at an independent shop, the costs should be moderate ($300-500). Just make sure that whoever does it, does know what he does, because neither leveling nor the replacement of the filter is trivial for the untrained average mechanic.

But differentials should be done either way, because that costs pennies (<$50 in parts and an hour of labor) and because they're usually in a worse shape than the transmission. It's not uncommon for the fluids in them to be completely black by this time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts