Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Premium Member
$2k...maybe at the dealer. Most independent Audi/VW service shops will charge much less for a carbon cleaning. I paid $500 to have my 2008 VR8 walnut blasted at my local shop. 馃ぃ
Yes that $2k usa is a vw dealer service dept estimate to do carbon cleaning on my 07 V8 FSI

Registered
I have a 2008 V8 and LOVE it! In terms of reliability, it's been great. Some (very minor, in my opinion) things to consider is that oil changes, spark plugs, and coils will obviously be a tiny bit more expensive. People get hung up on MPG, but the difference in MPG vs the difference in power, in my opinion, isn't enough of a savings to justify going with the VR6 over the V8.

it's quick, the exhaust note is nicer, and it's got enough power for just about all of your needs.

Registered
I have a 2008 V8 and LOVE it! In terms of reliability, it's been great. Some (very minor, in my opinion) things to consider is that oil changes, spark plugs, and coils will obviously be a tiny bit more expensive. People get hung up on MPG, but the difference in MPG vs the difference in power, in my opinion, isn't enough of a savings to justify going with the VR6 over the V8.

it's quick, the exhaust note is nicer, and it's got enough power for just about all of your needs.
i too have a V8... has 202K miles, and runs beautifully. Had a V6 previously and it was way underpowered. Mileage is 14 city, 19 highway. Not cheap to repair, but she鈥檚 the best car I鈥檝e ever owned.

Registered
Yes that $2k usa is a vw dealer service dept estimate to do carbon cleaning on my 07 V8 FSI
I think you will find that at a dealer service dept. the inlet manifold is considered a non-serviceable part.(remove and replace only) So when they say they are doing a de-carbon, most of what your paying for is a replacement inlet, and some cleaning of other parts. You're far better off taking the car to an independent mechanic that knows VW's, as they will remove the inlet and clean it for a lot less than the quote from the stealership.

Registered
Hey team,
Quick question for you!
Will the V8 last as long as the VR6?
I'm aware the VR6 can last 250,000+ miles if properly maintained. Does the V8 have the same longevity? Thank you!
I have a 2007 Passat awd wagon with beautiful car, anyway most a
Hey team,
Quick question for you!
Will the V8 last as long as the VR6?
I'm aware the VR6 can last 250,000+ miles if properly maintained. Does the V8 have the same longevity? Thank you!
I have a 2007 AWD Passat wagon with vr6; beautiful car. The basic motor is the same other than the modifications for switch to longitudinal. There is one serious problem with this motor as well as 2008 (or is it 2006?) they have a one piece intake manifold and a weak Positive Crankcase Valve. The intake manifold has to be removed along fuel injector rails and bunch鈥檚 of other parts to get the valve cover off to replace the valve, check out YouTube, it is a 1700 dollar repair from dealer from what I understand. It is not something a good backyard mechanic can鈥檛 do but if your tool collection fits in a toolbox you can move without a forklift think twice. I took the opportunity to replace all the belts, hoses, pulleys, water pump, alternator over run pulley, vacuum lines and parts with names I can鈥檛 remember. My VW service chum (I own 5 VW鈥檚) says it was about 3 k worth of work. It was about $400 total and will keep the motor solid for another 100k. I have never owned a V8 (my Touareg is a TDI) but I would opt for the VR for easier repairs.

Registered
2008 FSI V8, steel suspension.
1. I feel so dum(b) about the title!
2. I am about to pull the trigger on a 2008 Touareg V8 (T2). So before I unload a bunch of cash, I wanted to find out if anyone was having reliability issues, because to my knowledge that's the last year the V8 version was sold in the states.
I've had mine for a year, got it with 74K. In one year ownership and 8K miles all my issues actually were engine related. Had to replace PCV and high pressure fuel pump just now. In all my previous vehicles that I owned in 20 years I had never had such engine issues with such a low mileage.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts