1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey team,
Quick question for you!
Will the V8 last as long as the VR6?
I'm aware the VR6 can last 250,000+ miles if properly maintained. Does the V8 have the same longevity? Thank you!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
There is no VR8 there :) it’s V8 !
The key is ‘maintenance’. Both can last a long time. V8 is more power to move the 2.2 to 2.5 tons of the treg. VR6 is a bit sluggish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no VR8 there :) it’s V8 !
The key is ‘maintenance’. Both can last a long time. V8 is more power to move the 2.2 to 2.5 tons of the treg. VR6 is a bit sluggish.

Thanks for this. I never wrote VR8, I wrote VR6. However, my vision is terrible, so I know how that goes!

Let me rephrase the question. If both properly maintained, which engine SHOULD last longer?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
No one can possibly tell you that! Far too many variables from the moment each engine is started for the very first time in the factory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No one can possibly tell you that! Far too many variables from the moment each engine is started for the very first time in the factory.
Got it. Thank you Tommi. I just wasn't sure if the life of one of the specified engines was supposed to have a longer life expectancy than another.

Obviously the TDI is supposed to outlive the gassers, but I didn't know if one of the gassers had better longevity.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Thanks for this. I never wrote VR8, I wrote VR6. However, my vision is terrible, so I know how that goes!

Let me rephrase the question. If both properly maintained, which engine SHOULD last longer?
VR8 is in the title
I own the VR6 and I intend to push it to 2million km if the corona virus vaccine will have some life extending features
Unless you’re buying new this question is even less likely to be relevant. Both engines have been around for a long time and both are reliable. There are two versions of both these engines though. One without carbon buildup issues (MPI) and the second with carbon buildup issues (FSI). MPI is T1 and FSI came with the T2. Sometimes you will find T1 with FSI engines but that’s when vw was making the transition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VR8 is in the title
I own the VR6 and I intend to push it to 2million km if the corona virus vaccine will have some life extending features
Unless you’re buying new this question is even less likely to be relevant. Both engines have been around for a long time and both are reliable. There are two versions of both these engines though. One without carbon buildup issues (MPI) and the second with carbon buildup issues (FSI). MPI is T1 and FSI came with the T2. Sometimes you will find T1 with FSI engines but that’s when vw was making the transition.

1. I feel so dum(b) about the title!
2. I am about to pull the trigger on a 2008 Touareg V8 (T2). So before I unload a bunch of cash, I wanted to find out if anyone was having reliability issues, because to my knowledge that's the last year the V8 version was sold in the states.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
That’s an FSI version. You better check the carbon buildup threads before cashing out. You may ask if it had a carbon clean or no.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Hi Vincrelli
I got my 07 V8 FSI a few months ago, it had just over 100k miles on odometer. Took it in to VW Dealer Service for inspection and they reported no issues and suggested fluids changes.
From club touareg members I have learned that carbon build-up is a known issue; so I am saving up for that (cost estimate $2k usd)
I dont have much history on the vehicle, but I trust VW to live long as long as I take care of the routine maintenance. It has a powerful, premium gasoline loving engine.

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
847 Posts
Hi Vincrelli
I got my 07 V8 FSI a few months ago, it had just over 100k miles on odometer. Took it in to VW Dealer Service for inspection and they reported no issues and suggested fluids changes.
From club touareg members I have learned that carbon build-up is a known issue; so I am saving up for that (cost estimate $2k usd)
I dont have much history on the vehicle, but I trust VW to live long as long as I take care of the routine maintenance. It has a powerful, premium gasoline loving engine.
$2K?? I was quoted $600-800 to do the walnut media blast for my '11 VR6. Is it really that much more of a job to get to the intake valves on an '07 V8?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Unless a know defect,. Any properly maintained engine these days will likely outlast the rest of the vehicle.

There is good reason CarSense offers a "lifetime engine gaurantee", they know it is great advertising yet they will likely have very few claims. Notice they do not make the same gaurantee on transmissions.

·
Registered
87 Posts
$2K?? I was quoted $600-800 to do the walnut media blast for my '11 VR6. Is it really that much more of a job to get to the intake valves on an '07 V8?
$2k...maybe at the dealer. Most independent Audi/VW service shops will charge much less for a carbon cleaning. I paid $500 to have my 2008 VR8 walnut blasted at my local shop. 🤣

·
Registered
34 Posts
ACDelco 10-3007 Top Engine Cleaner

CRC GDI Service Pack

Also BG, MOTUL, STP, Berryman all make products for this process. It can be DIY but there are a few precautions to take.

I have used this to resurrect early Saturn engines with chronic oil consumption (stuck oil control ring). I haven't used it on the Touareg (AXQ V8) as yet but that it coming soon.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
874 Posts
ACDelco 10-3007 Top Engine Cleaner

CRC GDI Service Pack

Also BG, MOTUL, STP, Berryman all make products for this process. It can be DIY but there are a few precautions to take.

I have used this to resurrect early Saturn engines with chronic oil consumption (stuck oil control ring). I haven't used it on the Touareg (AXQ V8) as yet but that it coming soon.
I was never really a believer in professional cleaners (because I never tried them!) until I used BG45(?) diesel treatment. Definitely would do a treatment well before letting someone take apart part of a engine for cleaning! Many so called technicians can’t take apart a car with out breaking something so why let them touch the engine! Just my opinion, all the best.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was never really a believer in professional cleaners (because I never tried them!) until I used BG45(?) diesel treatment. Definitely would do a treatment well before letting someone take apart part of a engine for cleaning! Many so called technicians can’t take apart a car with out breaking something so why let them touch the engine! Just my opinion, all the best.
I concur. So much of what is available is marginal a best. I bought a Saturn Coupe with the common oil consumption problem. I bought it low enough that I was prepared to pull the engine for a ring and valve job. The AC/Delco cleaner was suggested. Spark plugs were removed and the cylinders treated daily over a period of four days. The intake was also sprayed but was not needed.

Once a day a towel was laid over the plug holes and the engine cranked just a bit then a bit more cleaner sprayed in. On day four it was cranked for about 10 seconds to make certain there was not enough fluid in the cylinder to cause damage. Plugs were replaced. The engine was cranked with about half-throttle. About 5 seconds in cranking it started trying to fire. Took a break for a couple of minutes then tried again. It chugged, sputtered but then smoothed out. Mind you it smoked like an old freight engine.

Per the instructions I took it down the road to clear it out. After the smoke stopped the car was serviced (oil, trans fluid, etc). My daughter used the car in college. In the 20k miles that followed it used 1/2 quart of oil outside the normal oil changes with this being an improvement over the quart/1k miles reported by the previous owner.

Not bad for a $15 can of cleaner combined with a bit of patience.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You may want to narrow down what you are really considering, under what "starting" condition, and what intended use you plan to have for the vehicle. Some v8s will need a few timing belts during that expected lifetime. Others which have chains, will not. The VR6 can be almost bulletproof and will generally be less costly to maintain. Not many engines can be expected to last 250k these days without some sort of costly repairs. (at least not regular car ones which have all sorts of tech and emissions crap on them)

·
Registered
34 Posts
You may want to narrow down what you are really considering, under what "starting" condition, and what intended use you plan to have for the vehicle. Some v8s will need a few timing belts during that expected lifetime. Others which have chains, will not. The VR6 can be almost bulletproof and will generally be less costly to maintain. Not many engines can be expected to last 250k these days without some sort of costly repairs. (at least not regular car ones which have all sorts of tech and emissions crap on them)
+1

I bought my '05 V8 from remote but I didn't pay much for it knowing that it could need a rebuild. Turns out the maintenance history is pretty good (Parker Ford in Parker, AZ did periodic, Desert Volkswagen in Las Vegas did the rest). I bought mine very low knowing it would at least need timing chain stuff and possibly a valve job. Even after doing the valves/heads I won't be into it for much money.

If on the other hand you want a ready daily driver listen to these folks and hold out until you find one meets your requirements.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts