Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I know what you might be thinking. “Read the damn threads about this, why are you making a new one.” My thoughts to make this thread is just my last stitch effort to maybe avoid another expensive repair.

My dad and I just paid 8k to repair a head gasket on a copart find. We thought we got a bargain, repair costs proved us wrong. After the car came home following the head gasket repair, the air suspension worked great. I lifted it, put it back down, lifted it again a couple hours later, just seeing what level I liked it best for now. A day later however, all operation stopped, and the blasted 014000 code popped up when scanning on my OBD eleven. The compressor has not ran since this error popped up.

I see a lot of people say buy a VCDS, but I was hoping when I bought that OBD Eleven back in February that it would cover all my needs as I have mk5 R32 and mk3 GTI. Anyways, is there any way to diagnose the exact issue with the OBD Eleven Pro, and maybe save myself from another $1000 or repairs? I still have a brake kit to install and have to buy new tires before this thing is street/trail ready. I ran an output test and will attach them to the post.

Thank you all and I look forward to your input.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Darkness
Car Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
722 Posts
Check Ross-Tech Wiki for info regarding your fault codes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 4.2L Touareg AXQ air suspension
28 Posts
Hello.

I know what you might be thinking. “Read the damn threads about this, why are you making a new one.” My thoughts to make this thread is just my last stitch effort to maybe avoid another expensive repair.

My dad and I just paid 8k to repair a head gasket on a copart find. We thought we got a bargain, repair costs proved us wrong. After the car came home following the head gasket repair, the air suspension worked great. I lifted it, put it back down, lifted it again a couple hours later, just seeing what level I liked it best for now. A day later however, all operation stopped, and the blasted 014000 code popped up when scanning on my OBD eleven. The compressor has not ran since this error popped up.

I see a lot of people say buy a VCDS, but I was hoping when I bought that OBD Eleven back in February that it would cover all my needs as I have mk5 R32 and mk3 GTI. Anyways, is there any way to diagnose the exact issue with the OBD Eleven Pro, and maybe save myself from another $1000 or repairs? I still have a brake kit to install and have to buy new tires before this thing is street/trail ready. I ran an output test and will attach them to the post.

Thank you all and I look forward to your input. View attachment 246456 View attachment 246457
I would start by looking at the right level sensor, they tend to slip out of the holding slot on the control arm. If that's the issue then break out the soapy water bottle and look for a leak, easier leak to look for is the one around the residual pressure valve, harder leak to identify is the one on the air bag - the upper seal on them has been know to fail. Get on top of this quick as the pump is going to get overworked over time and may even get worn out.

Air Suspension system is a simple system to troubleshoot but you need a loads of patience while at it. Do get yourself a pump a repair kit it will be useful down the road.

PS nice clean look on the egg

Humphrey

·
Registered
28 Posts
When you say the compressor has not run since then, do you mean you do not hear the compressor turn on?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check the compressor fuse and relay, if they are good then I would suggest you slide under the car un-plug the power connector to the compress and verify if you have 12V reaching the pump. If you have power at the terminals then you know you may have a problem with your compressor. I would then proceed to directly power the pump see if it powers up, If it doesn't then you pump is toast.

I have read somewhere that error codes in the system can lead to air suspension system being disabled. So if all the above checks out OK ie fuse and relay are good, 12V at the terminals and pump runs when directly power, then I would suggest you clear the codes, start the engine and try cycling the system through the various settings ie loading, standard, off-road and Xtra off-road and determine if the pump turns on and if the car adjusts to the different settings. If this doesn't work then I would proceed to look at the air suspension control module.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Wouldn't using the airline supplied with the car to add a few psi to one of the tyres prove that the pump was functioning - or not?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wouldn't using the airline supplied with the car to add a few psi to one of the tyres prove that the pump was functioning - or not?
Yes, that's if the pump turns on and that's all you will know. However, just because the pump turns on isn't fireproof evidence of it being in a good condition. To fill the air reservoir tank the pump must generate between 14- 16 bar, individual air bags hold between 3.5 to 4.5 bar. 1 bar = 14.5 psi. filling up a tire to 40 or even 50 psi ( = 2.7- 3.5 bar) is well below the required output of a good functional pump.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
250 Posts
I don't think the leak test at the residual pressure valve or the o-ring on top of the air bags is going to work since the bags seem to be fully deflated. That leaves few things
I would suggest to get these out of the way first:
1) Clear codes because if there are codes in the system as @Humphrey said, that may block the compressor from running!
1) Relay/fuse - Replace your relay. Even if not bad, chance are you don't have the updated relay - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KWGHW3A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2) Worn out compressor - rebuild with the compressor Amazon.com: X8R PISTON RING SEAL REPAIR FIX FOR WABCO AIR SUSPENSION COMPRESSOR REBUILD COMPATIBLE WITH VOLKSWAGEN TOUAREG 2002-2010 PRODUCTION MODELS PART# X8R45 : Automotive

Get a VCDS. OBDeleve is not going to do much for you. I had one and its confusing and hard to nagivate the app.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts