Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd say the experience was rather positive. I've gotten T-reg with about 73K on the odo without any major issues or problems. Now o have just shy of 79K. Haven't done any mods except for putting performance air filters and changing fog light to LED. When it comes to handling I'd say it's the best handling SUV that i've owned so far even though those 5200 LBS definitely letting you that they are there when you trying to drive aggressively. Another positive is how confident and stable the truck is when you push it well into triple digit territory. Now for things that I didn't like so much. Very light steering feel even at speed. Truck feels just adequate when it comes to power. Those 350 horses and 324 lb/ft of torque definitely not enough for such a heavy vehicle. In my opinion 4.2 V8 from RS4 with 420HP would do much better in T-reg. Another annoying thing is cooling fan staying on for 2-3 minutes after engine is shut down. I don't know maybe because my build sheet says i have tropical climate model or because it equipped with tow package or a combination of those two. HID could be better as well. My main concern so far been related to tire wear. I bought it with almost brand new Nexen tires that previous owner just put on it and after about 5K on them they seem to be half way thru their life already. Would probably switch to Michelins or other brand that has higher tire wear index.
treg.jpg

·
Registered
2009 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 TDI & 2008 Volkswagen Touareg 5.0 TDI
41 Posts
I think RS4 got turbo and your Touareg doesn’t have turbo that’s why turbo provide more additional power.

I like your color on Touareg, must be Alaska Grey?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think RS4 got turbo and your Touareg doesn’t have turbo that’s why turbo provide more additional power.

I like your color on Touareg, must be Alaska Grey?
I think that color was most common for 2008. Yeah it is Alaska Grey. As for RS4 engine, it is NA engine with similar torque figures as T-reg. I think it was same deal as with 4.8 V8 in Cayenne S and GTS which has same torque figures but GTS got more power. Somehow they managed to extract additional 70 HP from the same 4.2 V8 that is in RS4. I know for sure it is higher revving with a redline somewhere around 8K.

·
Registered
2009 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 TDI & 2008 Volkswagen Touareg 5.0 TDI
41 Posts
I think that color was most common for 2008. Yeah it is Alaska Grey. As for RS4 engine, it is NA engine with similar torque figures as T-reg. I think it was same deal as with 4.8 V8 in Cayenne S and GTS which has same torque figures but GTS got more power. Somehow they managed to extract additional 70 HP from the same 4.2 V8 that is in RS4. I know for sure it is higher revving with a redline somewhere around 8K.
Ah I see, then must be same engine but more design different package.
Now I see, pervious RS4 have V8 with no turbo, now they replaced V6 with Turbo. Can Touareg with V8 get tuned ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Technically yes you can tune it for the gain of something like 20HP and supposedly better throttle response. But practically I was unable to find any tuner here locally in the Bay area that could do it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
1- hid lights lose their effectiveness over time. They may not die like a halogen, but they will lose their output. Philips, the original creator of hid lighting, sells upgraded versions with better cutoff and higher output. Buy a set

2- mark Malone and Unitronic, at least, sell tuning for the 4.2 v8.. 20hp and 22 ft/lbs of torque and lots of drivability improvements. They have dealer networks everywhere, check them out

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Unitronic doesn't do V8s any longer, same deal with Malone, they only do V10s. I think for other tunes you'd have to send your ECU for them to reprogram it and that is not an option for me at this point.

·
Registered
830 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've contacted Unitronic local dealer here last fall, someone came and tried to do the tune and later said that they no longer support 2008. I'm not sure why they still selling it on their website.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Ahhh damn thats the worst.

Something else you could spend some time researching is tuning companies in Germany. There are many, and I'm SURE somewhere you could find one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perhaps but I'd rather have a local dealer around me that would come and do the tune. If anything goes wrong I don't wanna be the one being left dealing with it alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts