Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has minor whistling noise comes and go when it get to approx. 40 mph forever. It started develope a high pitch whining noise lately after driving the car at higher speed for 20 to 30 mins and the noise goes away after it cool down. My mechanic said it needs new pcv valve and valve cover for both sides and he said the part cost $500 each side. VW only has one side available and VW said it will take at least 2 days before they know when they will have the other side available.

Is it a common problem? Or should i order the part myself?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Maybe someone could help me understand something...the PCV failed for both sides at the same time?

PVC failure does happen, you hear about it more on the 3.6 VR6...but only because there are more of them. It is really expensive, but not a sure thing to happen to everyone...like the center main bearing and dash blower for instance...

I have wondered about removing existing PVC (say if mine failed) and replacing with an old school generic valve like, a catch can, and a check valve (to atmosphere). Not sure it can be done however.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you are talking about 08 V8 4.2 FSI engine, I 90% sure there is only one PVC valve cover(or I call it oil separator). If the valve failed, the whistling noise should rev depended not speed depended.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts