Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2008 V8 I am avg 12 miles a gallon which seems low a lot of other V8 owners are claiming 14-18 MPG. I run 91 octane and have dual exhaust from cat back which I thought would help? so I am wondering is it a timing belt issues? Has anyone ever put in aftermarket air intakes or ECU flashes?? I would love to know what's working for others and aftermarket companies.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Do you do a lot of short trips?

How many miles on the engine?

What is the maintenance history?

You sort of just said Hi, it hurts, what should I do? We don't have enough info to even start guessing.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Doesn't the 2008 V8 have a timing chain?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I bought a 2008 V8 I am avg 12 miles a gallon which seems low a lot of other V8 owners are claiming 14-18 MPG. I run 91 octane and have dual exhaust from cat back which I thought would help? so I am wondering is it a timing belt issues? Has anyone ever put in aftermarket air intakes or ECU flashes?? I would love to know what's working for others and aftermarket companies.
I have the same problem... I've been driving very economically in my 2008 V6, but I'm only getting 13 mpg. It's only Wednesday and I have to fill up again after filling up Sunday night. Very frustrated

·
Registered
561 Posts
1 am around 10 in city with my AXQ engine, where 10 miles roundtrip around 30mph average speed. On highway i get around 16-18 and i always use premium gas

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I have averaged 16.4 MPG over the life of my 2008 V8 with mixed 50/50 driving,

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
If we had a vcds scan, we could look for errors.

12 seems low. Usually can get 13 to 14 without much trouble, unless the motor never gets up to operating temp.

Dirty air filter, old spark plugs, ever had coils replaced? Tried gas from at least two different brand/locations? Any scan errors relating to the 02 sensors? The list could go on and on.

We need more info.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Doesn't the 2008 V8 have a timing chain?
Timing belt from 2003 to 2007 on the non facelift models. Canbus 1.6. The belt driven VW 4.2 V8 has a engine code of AXQ.

Starting with the facelift models, the V8 went to timing chain. The later VW 4.2 V8 (engine code BAR) is chain driven.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
2008 V8 here and about 12-13mpg city and 16-18mpg on highway.... normal for a heavy vehicle. 93 premium gas here only

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Timing belt from 2003 to 2007 on the non facelift models. Canbus 1.6. The belt driven VW 4.2 V8 has a engine code of AXQ.

Starting with the facelift models, the V8 went to timing chain. The later VW 4.2 V8 (engine code BAR) is chain driven.
Thank you.

T1 V8 belt.

T2 V8 chain.

Got it now.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
How about big tires, heavier aftermarket wheels, low PSI in the tires, all sorts of crap inside the truck, all sorts of crap attached to the outside of the truck . . . .

·
Registered
210 Posts
How about big tires, heavier aftermarket wheels, low PSI in the tires, all sorts of crap inside the truck, all sorts of crap attached to the outside of the truck . . . .
I have summer performance tires by Michelin, stock VW wheels, standard psi in the tires, truck is empty on the inside and nothing attached to the outside. Still get like 12 mpg

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
About 20 miles to work and back, occasional drive to friend's house
Is that 10 miles each way or 20 miles each way?

What traffic, what roads, what speed, what journey duration?

My V6 used to use damn near a gallon of fuel to take me the 5 miles for my morning coffee and newspaper and the 5 miles back home again!

And that's the larger Imperial gallon not the US one too!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nickyt ...you are correct I kinda jumped ahead of myself the service history looked normal but no idea if the prev owner ran 91 or higher? I did do an oil change the day I got it cause the dealer lied and said they did which by the blackness of the oil wasn't true...May try some injector additive for carbon buildup? I changed the air filters but still think the whole airbox design is not efficient? I want to try to find an aftermarket cone filter no box of anyone knows a vendor for that? It does need a major service as its at 72K and hasn't been done yet? I realize it's a heavy vehicle but was hoping to find some tricks on here so I can maximize gas performance. I will also be towing a ski boat that's weighs 5,000 pounds so maybe an ECU flash? Any and all Input is awesome

·
Registered
210 Posts
Is that 10 miles each way or 20 miles each way?

What traffic, what roads, what speed, what journey duration?

My V6 used to use damn near a gallon of fuel to take me the 5 miles for my morning coffee and newspaper and the 5 miles back home again!
And that's the larger Imperial gallon not the US one too!
20 miles each way, highway speed with minimal traffic, and about 30 minute duration

1 - 20 of 27 Posts