Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forums (any type actually). Looking for help, advice on my car. Had an oil warning light come on in our Touareg late December of 2014. Took the car to our normal service shop and they replaced the sensor. They didn't want to do the pump service so I had the car towed to the dealership. They checked and said pressure was low and said it needed a new oil pump. $4500 service. The adviser guaranteed that no other damage had been done to the engine and said that if they'd found any indication of damage they wouldn't proceed. Promised car to be back "good as new" after the pump was installed. They had the car for three months and pulled the engine three times. Pump first, then timing chains, then cam adjusters, etc. We got the car back at 4 months and drove it for one week and the check engine light came on. We took the car back, they pulled the engine again and are now claiming the engine is shot and needs to be replaced and are claiming I never maintained it. I am a very conscientious maintainer. I am looking at suing the dealership but I'm no mechanic and would appreciate opinions on the situation. They still have our car, 6 months later. The new engine bill is over 14k and VW has offered to comp some of it.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
what the hell..... if you have serviced it and have service records could not you just prove that they are wrong :( so many parts have been replaced and it took 6 month for all thats bad, really bad :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have all the service records. I change the oil at about half (or slightly over) the recommended synthetic service interval. I change at 5,000 miles. This dealership has a terrible reputation for service but the next nearest VW service is two hours away. This is my 6th Volkswagen (starting with a 64 Beetle I had in high school). Prior to this, we have never even had a check engine light come on. Now they claim my engine is completely shot.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
in this case i think it must be easy win case if you have all the paperwork in your hands,
its not that easy to total the engine, especially 4,2 FSI its one of the most well built engine in VAG

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
New to the forums (any type actually). Looking for help, advice on my car. Had an oil warning light come on in our Touareg late December of 2014. Took the car to our normal service shop and they replaced the sensor. They didn't want to do the pump service so I had the car towed to the dealership. They checked and said pressure was low and said it needed a new oil pump. $4500 service. The adviser guaranteed that no other damage had been done to the engine and said that if they'd found any indication of damage they wouldn't proceed. Promised car to be back "good as new" after the pump was installed. They had the car for three months and pulled the engine three times. Pump first, then timing chains, then cam adjusters, etc. We got the car back at 4 months and drove it for one week and the check engine light came on. We took the car back, they pulled the engine again and are now claiming the engine is shot and needs to be replaced and are claiming I never maintained it. I am a very conscientious maintainer. I am looking at suing the dealership but I'm no mechanic and would appreciate opinions on the situation. They still have our car, 6 months later. The new engine bill is over 14k and VW has offered to comp some of it.
Assuming you owned the car for most of its life (your first post doesn't say) you have a pretty good case - logically anyway. The key is their promise that the SA made that if there was further damage they wouldn't proceed. That statement - and the fact that they proceeded - basically makes your maintenance records moot. It is good that you have them and backs up what you say but their promise is still a promise. The most you should pay is the $4500.00 for a new oil pump - installed.
Keep us advised.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts