Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me locate the VVT solenoid on my 2008 V6 please? I need to check to see if it needs to be cleaned or replaced. Any diagrams or photos will help. Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What types of issues are you having? Codes? I went through a timing chain “stretch” issue last year that wasn’t resolved until the exhaust cam solenoid was replaced. Supposed to be an engine out thing, but my independent euro shop was able to replace it without pulling the engine.

View attachment 242198
Check engine code P0014. High RPM while idling after being driven for a little bit. It wants to jump while stopping. It's getting difficult to drive.

·
Registered
2007 Touareg 3.6
16 Posts
Check engine code P0014. High RPM while idling after being driven for a little bit. It wants to jump while stopping. It's getting difficult to drive.
That sounds awfully similar to the issue I ran into with the timing chain. This is a somewhat common issue as these age. My 2007 was at 129,000 miles when it had this issue. I'm no diagnostician, so someone else might chime in with other potential causes.

In my case, the independent shop was very upfront with me. Tried replacing camshaft position sensor with no luck. They ended up removing the engine to replace the timing chain, which they said was really "stretched"/worn. After they put the engine back in, they still had running issues when warm and ended up having to replace the N318/exhaust cam solenoid. He said he was lucky he didn't have to take the engine out again, because most say it's an engine out repair.

I have a couple recommendations for you to look into that are MUCH cheaper.
1. fluctuating idle as you're describing can be caused by a torn PCV valve (common issue). It will typically have a vacuum leak/lean running code though.
2. ShopDAP has a really helpful channel that goes through how to see if you do actually have timing chain stretch. The linked video is for 2.0T engines, but I would imagine it's the same for all VW. OBDeleven is less than $100 and might be a cost effective way for you to investigate on your own.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much. I will look into it. Just curious though, how much did the repair cost you? Ball park figure would be fine.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2007 Touareg 3.6
16 Posts
My total for the OEM VW parts + labor was about $4,000. That included everything you would need to do a complete job. I opted to pay $500 more for them to clean the intake valves (direct injection concern) and put a new head gasket on just in case.

The exhaust cam solenoid was $130 from FCP euro, but labor would be significant even without having to remove the engine (probably $1000).

If the issue is the PCV valve torn, you have to take off the valve cover. The cost is mostly labor, which I did myself shortly after buying the touareg.
https://www.amazon.com/RKX-Engine-Valve-Diaphragm-membrane/dp/B01LVX8J6L

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
A torn rubber in the PCV often manifests it self as a very high pitched squeal like a stuck pig!.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. $4000 is a lot of money. I did end up purchasing one of the OBDeleven devices. Hopefully that will help narrow down what the issue could be. There is no high pitched sound coming from the PCV though. I will look into it a little later this week.

Thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts