Club Touareg Forum banner

2008 Touareg RNS 510 Upgrade

54K views 82 replies 31 participants last post by  Steve_L 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

I have been reading tons of posts on here but I am unable to convince myself I have the right answer.

I have acquired a gently used RNS-510 that I would like to install

I have a 2008, It has the newer MFD (color screen), The original Navigation unit is installed (The reason for the upgrade). My egg has the backup camera installed from factory.

Is this just plug and play? My dealer isn't too anxious to install it, as they said they have tried before and failed. I assume it was a < 2007 egg that they tried to upgrade the deck in. But I am willing to pay whatever costs to have them install the deck.

I read in one post that I will need an adapter to make the backup camera work. Is this true?

Do I need anything else to make this work. Any tips I can give the guys at the dealer when they go to install?

Any help is appreciated.

See less See more
#33 ·
Rudy, Back up camera version ????

RNS510 is a unit which I bought as part number 7L6 035 680 B
Source is from the instruction manual.

#34 ·
Version difference

We are talking different animals. I think you are referring to the actual RNS 510 which does have different model versions (B,C,D) where as the back camera module has different versions as for the 2008 Touareg2 model. I am trying to install the RNS 510 and found my back up camera has a different plug than what is in the back of the RNS 510. Previous in this thread their is a schematic and pin# interchange to from my MFD 2DVD plug to the RNS 510.
I seem to get mixed feedback whether this will allow me to use my existing back up camera. I did here that if I my backup camera is version "B" and not "C" it won't work. Would like to get this verified. I need to get my car Vag Com-ed to find out whet version it is. Would love to hear from someone that has had this same situation with their '08. I am committed since I did buy a RNS 510. I pulled my unit out to find out it was OEm built by BlaupunKt w/ Dynaudio. The 510 is an Oem Built in the Rep. of Check. Any help would be great. Thanks

#37 ·
Rudy, the manual states that when replacing rns2 with rns510 all you need to do is change the plug as per my previous attachment.
My MY08 did not have RC installed so was not required when I did my upgrade.

#38 ·
Gents, as Maloosheck says. The RNS510 needs the type B Camera Controller.. ( B suffix ) Type C only works with RNS2.

Reactions: simon.zhouxiao
#39 ·
Thanks hedditch, my 2008 T2 has MFD2 so it sounds like the RVC is version "B" which can be used with RNS 510.
Would anyone know where I can get the large plug (26 pin I believe) that fits into the female RNS 510 plug? My existing plug on the wire coming from the the rear view camera (RVC) is an 18 pin male plug? If someone knows of an adapter the can be used I would appreciate the info?
Thanks much

#40 ·
Thanks hedditch, my 2008 T2 has MFD2 so it sounds like the RVC is version "B" which can be used with RNS 510.
If you have MFD2 and RVC from factory, you have RVC rev. C. Go get the VCDS auto scan to make sure.

Would anyone know where I can get the large plug (26 pin I believe) that fits into the female RNS 510 plug?
Dealership. PN: 7L6972726

My existing plug on the wire coming from the the rear view camera (RVC) is an 18 pin male plug?
Your existing plug is a female 18 pin connector. You would have to open it, pull out the pins (you need tiny flat screwdriver to press the pin tabs) and slide them in the new 26 pin connector according to the pin out (PM me, maybe I'll find the wiring diagrams in PDF for both 18 pin and 26 pin).

If I recall correctly, the new 26 connector uses one ground pin for 4 signal (R/G/B/Sync) grounds (pins 5, 7, 8 9), so you have to combine all 4 of these grounds into one pin. Soldering or crimp lug (picture below) highly recommended:

If someone knows of an adapter the can be used I would appreciate the info?
I have not heard about any, but I did not really look. I prefer hard wiring methods :D .

#46 ·
ok guys

finished up tonight with all of the labour stuff...
the satellite radio extension cable worked like a charm. Ran it up the back side from the old sat radio controller to the rns 510 via the rear upper sail panel. then along the headliner edge to the a-pillar. Removed the a-pillar, under the dash then into the rns510

so as of right now I need to figure out what vagcom coding I need to do
*9w3 coding -bluetooth
*rvc coding, currently putting it into reverse nothing is happening... followed the pin out diagram
*7 button steering wheel control coding

finally one thing I havent read almost anywhere is that the aux input on the mfd2 is very different from the rns. so you'll have to follow this

***If you have an external CD changer like the MFD2, you can swap ground pins 2 and 3 on the 12 pin plug. If you have an aux-in on the old radio you have to swap pin 3 (aux ground) and pin 2. Also swap pin 5 (aux R) and pin 7. The old satellite radio pins are useless because the new radio has an internal satellite radio module. (CD CHANGER IS WORKING FINE currently)

gonna research the coding now.. if anyone has any insight please post!

#48 ·
I'm currently doing the installation with the helpful guidance of IROCNParts. Upgrading the MFD2 in my 2008 V10 to an RNS510. Installed the headunit this weekend, ran the Sirius extension cable earlier today, and recoded the RNS510 for Dynaudio.

Next steps over the course of this week are:
AM/FM cable replacement (need adapter for the two wires to one)
Camera install (C module to B and harness change)
Complete Bluetooth retrofit (9W7)

Happy to help anyone with any questions. I have no prior experience with auto wiring or VagCom, so it has all been completely new to me.

#51 ·
Just an update for those who read this later - my post above mentioned we did not have the reverse camera module. We do now and the camera is working great with these pin changes.

Here's what is NOT working:
- No Aux In - VCDS reports a problem with the wiring for Aux in and it does not work
- No Sirius - we hate the low bitrate of Sirius, so we just unplugged this and removed the module

#56 ·
Hi,

I recently acquired an RNS 510 (7L6035684B) with the following bits, MDI module, Bluetooth W3 module, Can Bus module, GPS antenna, and some other pieces. I going to have them installed in my 2008 V8 TREG. Do you have a step by step of the process you went through and of the all there other parts you had to get to make it work?

Much appreciated if you can share what you have.

#57 ·
Canbus isn't needed for your 2008 as it is already 2.0 can bus system. Requires some wiring pin changes. Some changes with satellite radio as the rns2 radio you have factory has a separate Sirius box in back trunk but rns510 is built in. Just search on here rns2 to rns510 and you will see the step by step. I'm on vacation in Greece and only phone access so cannot paste it.

Reactions: WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
#58 ·
So how to access sirius in the rns-510 that I retrofitted?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Reactions: demiannyc
#74 ·
I just installed my new Sirius extension cable. I made the mistake of just clicking on the link earlier in this forum and ordered it. Well, I was the wrong one. That one was the male to female cable, when I really needed the female to female cable. https://enfigcarstereo.com/ENFIG_FAKRA_FF_17.html Check your Sirius module in the back and make sure you get the right cable. The RNS510 has a male Sirius connector on the back.

#64 ·
MFD2 to RNS-510 swap

OK. I have an 2008 Touareg MFD2 system with Dynaudio along with RVC. I'm about to dive into this swap. I just bought a RNS-510 off ebay, along with the 9w7 Bluetooth harness and a bluetooth module. Seems Can-bus is not an issue here. With info here, I should be able to get harness pin swaps (hopefully) and VAG-Com coding. Is there anything else I need? Curious about satellite connection, GPS connection, RVC connection. Cheers!!

#66 ·
Hey Maloosheck, Can you lead me to a link of that RVC control module B. Not sure what I'm looking for. And what's the 'special tool' needed? Do you mean VCDS coding? Also, are the pin changes the same for MFD2 and RNS2 units? I see the pins diagrams in earlier posts, but doesn't seem to include MFD2 changes. Sorry, just trying to get all my ducks in a row when I get ready to do the upgrade.

#67 ·
This is the module you need. And error you will get once you install it:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 6C: Back-up Cam. Labels: 5N0-907-441.clb
Part No SW: 7L6 907 441 B HW: 7L6 907 441 B
Component: J772__Rearview 0033
Revision: 00H13000 Serial number: PA8 J9Z0002
Coding: 0010001
Shop #: WSC 98765 666 38681
VCID: 346D6709570E6EEA09-8060

1 Fault Found:
03006 - Back-up Camera System not calibrated
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 26
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
Invalid
Invalid
Invalid

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For calibration you need a tool VAS6350. If you google it, you can find the dimensions of the pattern and make one yourself. The calibration procedure is described at wiki.ross-tech if I recall correctly.

Here is my the link to my (unsuccesful) attempt to calibrate Tiguan camera in Jetta: - VAG Turbo Diesel -: (Mk5) Kamera cofania / Rear View Camera
I have not tried it in my Touareg yet. Too many other projects but I should probably try to calibrate my Touareg camera before I relocate it. And I need to relocate it because of the spare wheel carrier retrofit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.