558 Posts
pic attached

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
Doing another rns swap...

I can't remember a couple of things

The Sirius xm extension cable. Is it a male/female extension cable that's needed? Or male/male? Female/female?

And length

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
MFD2 to RNS-510 swap

OK. I have an 2008 Touareg MFD2 system with Dynaudio along with RVC. I'm about to dive into this swap. I just bought a RNS-510 off ebay, along with the 9w7 Bluetooth harness and a bluetooth module. Seems Can-bus is not an issue here. With info here, I should be able to get harness pin swaps (hopefully) and VAG-Com coding. Is there anything else I need? Curious about satellite connection, GPS connection, RVC connection. Cheers!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Maloosheck, Can you lead me to a link of that RVC control module B. Not sure what I'm looking for. And what's the 'special tool' needed? Do you mean VCDS coding? Also, are the pin changes the same for MFD2 and RNS2 units? I see the pins diagrams in earlier posts, but doesn't seem to include MFD2 changes. Sorry, just trying to get all my ducks in a row when I get ready to do the upgrade.

·
Registered
394 Posts
This is the module you need. And error you will get once you install it:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 6C: Back-up Cam. Labels: 5N0-907-441.clb
Part No SW: 7L6 907 441 B HW: 7L6 907 441 B
Component: J772__Rearview 0033
Revision: 00H13000 Serial number: PA8 J9Z0002
Coding: 0010001
Shop #: WSC 98765 666 38681
VCID: 346D6709570E6EEA09-8060

1 Fault Found:
03006 - Back-up Camera System not calibrated
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 26
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
Invalid
Invalid
Invalid

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For calibration you need a tool VAS6350. If you google it, you can find the dimensions of the pattern and make one yourself. The calibration procedure is described at wiki.ross-tech if I recall correctly.

Here is my the link to my (unsuccesful) attempt to calibrate Tiguan camera in Jetta: - VAG Turbo Diesel -: (Mk5) Kamera cofania / Rear View Camera
I have not tried it in my Touareg yet. Too many other projects but I should probably try to calibrate my Touareg camera before I relocate it. And I need to relocate it because of the spare wheel carrier retrofit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
eggdropsoup

So this is the camera control module we need? 7L6907441B (what is the significance of the B?)
Where is this unit located? is it easy to replace the old one with the new one in physical location?

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
9W7 7 Button steering wheel controls

I have the 08 Treg with the Dynaudio and getting ready to do the big stereo swap. Can anyone tell me if the 7 button steering wheel controls is working for anyone who has done the swap from the 5 button? Is it plug and play? Anyone have 100% success with this when going to the RNS 510??

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the 08 Treg with the Dynaudio and getting ready to do the big stereo swap. Can anyone tell me if the 7 button steering wheel controls is working for anyone who has done the swap from the 5 button? Is it plug and play? Anyone have 100% success with this when going to the RNS 510??
Hello,

I can confirm I did install the rns 510 and the 7 button controls with success. That being said, I rarely use the phone buttons except the answer button.the buttons I installed was 7L6959538A. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
690 Posts
You have to use VCDS to code in the 7 button controls, if you're switching from the 5 button setup. It takes like 5 min, tops.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Alright!! I have some time now (for some current reason) to get on with this project!! I checked to see if my Reg already has a microphone up in the overhead console, and it does!! The new harness I got for the swap from MFD2 to RNS510 also has microphone and cable built into the harness. Do I have to change something on the new harness, or move some pins on the OEM MFD2 harness??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rudy, differences between B & C versions (EU models) are firmware and not hardware, therefore plugs do not change. VAG adjustments need to be done however can't provide specifics.
Hello Evaddird, Sorry to reply to an old post, but I'm doing the pin swapping for my new RNS510 system. That attachment you included in your post I have completed. Don't know where you got that print out, but I was hoping for one piece of clearer info. Aftern that Fig with the pin changes, the guide speaks about the left over 2 wires, #5 and #9. Strange set of instructions regarding those wires. It suddenly mentions cutting wires 2 and 3.....Huh?? Doesn't make any sense. I have gathered that pins #5 and #9 are joined together and fed into new harness slot #24. Is this right?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Doing another rns swap...

I can't remember a couple of things

The Sirius xm extension cable. Is it a male/female extension cable that's needed? Or male/male? Female/female?

And length

Thanks!
I just installed my new Sirius extension cable. I made the mistake of just clicking on the link earlier in this forum and ordered it. Well, I was the wrong one. That one was the male to female cable, when I really needed the female to female cable. https://enfigcarstereo.com/ENFIG_FAKRA_FF_17.html Check your Sirius module in the back and make sure you get the right cable. The RNS510 has a male Sirius connector on the back.

·
Registered
2008 V6
47 Posts
I just want to pass this along, IIt looks like a more economical and very plug and play. Take a look, this is being installed in a 2006 V10.

Bob

·
Registered
46 Posts
OK. Well everything is in! Before I do a big write up on this, I was to understand that you need the sirius extension cable to run from the RNS510 to the module in the rear and that you are supposed to unplug the 2 wire harness on the siruis module so it doesn't interfere with the internal Sirius unit in the RNS510. OK, did that. I would assume that the Siruis module would need some sort of power for the antenna portion to operate...? Anyway, I got nothing here! When I go to SAT, all I get on the screen is "Antenna A Problem Has Occurred". What's going on with that?? I looked in VCDS to find an option to turn off the Sat module, but couldn't find any box, byte, or bit to turn module off or on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
MFD2 to RNS 510 in a 2008 Touareg

Full Report: This is for a 2008 Touareg, beware that an ’08 is a transition year, so module changes and crossovers between units gets a bit tricky! All this to put a 10 year old stereo in for some extra features and some tech updates..lol!! First off, when hunting for your RNS 510, be sure it’s a Touareg model, not a Jetta, Passat, etc. Touareg model has square faceplate, the others have rounded corners…will not fit in Touareg (first thing I screwed up). OEM setup: Color MFD screen, MFD2 Nav DVD unit, Sirius Sat radio module in rear above the 6 CD Changer, DynaAudio stereo with external amp in back, Backup Camera, Aux in inside armrest compartment. that’s it! No touch screen, no Bluetooth, 2008 map info. I also replaced all 4 bass speakers cause 3 of them were dead (See my install on those in another post). Upgraded to: RNS 510 B . The B is important. When you are matching tech of the headunit and the tech of your year Touareg, you can’t venture to far from production years for most of your OEM features to work correctly ( My B unit was produced in ’09) , most importantly, the steering wheels controls and the MFD screen. After acquiring the headunit, on too getting a model B rear view camera (RVC), Next up, Bluetooth unit. The 9W2 is dead, stay away, your choices are the 9W3 and the 9W7, There’s also a 9WZ, which is way to new to work with the older RNS units. I tried the 9W7 version (F), got no communication. Nothing! Ordered a 9W3 (1Z0-035-729-C), plugged it in and BAM!! Got my phonebook on screen, I ordered and installed the 7 button with phone/Voice Activation controls (used). There’s lots of different versions of Bluetooth modules, headunits, reverse camera modules, (A,B,C,D, etc.) so do your research! BTW, getting that steering wheel apart is tricky if you don’t have the perfect screwdriver!! I had to use flathead bit fed into a small rachet x2. I’m getting ahead of myself, where was I? Anyway, assuming your smart enough to get the old head unit out, disconnect all plugs and harnesses off the back of the unit and throw that old ass MFD2 off a bridge! Make sure you have your security code ready when you plug your spankin (not so new) RNS510. My RNS I got off Ebay. It came with latest Firmware (1142), maps updated in 2017, had Video in motion (for those who care), SD card capable of 32 GB. With the added Bluetooth, makes it barely worth the effort, but I like a challenge, so lets go!! Adding a bluetooth means adding a harness to the back of the headunit and run to under the front passenger seat where my 9W3 will have plenty of room. I ran the harness out the bottom of the dash, under the carpet and out an opening near the air pressure hose attachment. I ordered the Bluetooth harness from China somewhere, It came with this whole pigtail where you plug the oem harness into it, and the other end into the RNS510, also came with microphone and wire. I found this totally unnecessary. The OEM harness has these sections: A (speaker connections), B (main power and grounds), C (12 Pin Bluetooth plug (GREEN)), D (CD changer, Aux In, clock (BLUE)), and then there’s the RVC harness which you need to swap from the old 18 Pin harness to the 26 pin harness and make the correct pin swaps as described in another post. More about that in a second. Back to the Bluetooth harness. I removed the green harness from the pigtail. 4 wires needed to be cut from the power area: Red/Blue power, brown ground, Org/grey CAN-, Org/pur CAN+. I ordered some replacement pins for an electronics site and soldered those wires into the OEM harness in the car. After running my microphone wires up the A pillar, behind headliner, to the overhead console which already had an OEM microphone waiting to be used and slide the green harness into place since there wasn’t one there before. There’s other posts out there that mention running the extra VW repair wires to get the Bluetooth audio in all speakers, and not just the right side. That seems to be for cars that had 9w2 bluetooth units. My Chinese harness came with the correct wires running from the Green harness to the Bluetooth unit, so I guess these aftermarket harness makers got clued in on doing that “repair wire” fix. I also got the Sirius extension cable cause the RNS510 has a male plug on the back. I ran that cable up the passenger A pillar and along the roof (I pulled my saggy headliner for repair, so that made that easy.). I connected the other end to the Sirius unit, and disconnected the other harness to it cause the RNS510 has an internal tuner. I haven’t had any luck getting SAT to work though. It won’t recognize the antenna. You also need to disconnect the compass module mounted in the rear portion of the headliner since the RNS510 uses GPS to get compass readings. I didn’t have to install a GPS antenna since the car already has one and it just plugs into the new unit. On to the pin changes. I took pictures of the MFD2 and the RNS510 harness diagrams, printed them out so I can track what changes I was making. Obviously, microphone wires need to be connected to the Green C plug (Blk -pin 1, Wht- pin 7). On the blue B plug, make sure that the CD ground wire got moved to pin 3 (was pin 2 on MFD2). There should be nothing going to pins 1,2, and 7. These are for the AUX in which is way different from the MFD2. On the MFD2, the Aux in wires actually run to the reverse camera harness (pins 11 AR in, 12 AL in, and 13 ground). If you’ve already moved all the wires to the new 26 pin harness then it’s (pins 10 IN R, 11 ground, 23 IN L). These need to be moved up to the blue harness (pins 1,2,7) The wires already in those pins were from the SAT system, just pull them out and let them hang. You won’t need them again.. You’re gonna need to carefully cut some wire insulation on the harness to free up enough slack for them to reach the blue plug. I got it to work, but the signal seems low, getting some fuzz in the connection. Quick note: Pins 5 and 9 from OEM RVC harness need to be combined and plugged into Pin 24 on new RVC harness. One issue I had when testing the new system was my RVC wasn’t working. When I put it in reverse, the screen would try to call up camera, but would stay black and then go back to previous screen. I tinkered with the pins and, by accident really, I took pin 22 (purple) and moved it up to the Blue harness Pin 5, and suddenly my RVC is working perfectly. I really don’t know why this worked, but it did! You also have to get the FAKRA radio antenna adaptor to connect existing antenna cables to back of the RNS510. OK, after all the physical stuff is done, now time to code this thing! Lots of instructions on what to do out there. Make sure you turn on the telephone function in Coding 07 (77-Telephone). My Software coding I changed to 0010477. As for long coding the NAV system, go to the long coder and go through each byte and make sure each feature is activated (write down your original long code before changing anything!!). Remember to do a reset on the headunit after any code changes! I had to play a bit with the speaker options to get my DynAudio system to sound right. So….At the end of the day, what did I gain? Updated navigation maps (2017), SD card slot (which I store all my music on), video DVD in motion, and Bluetooth for the phone. Like I mentioned earlier, the 9W3 bluetooth can only do so much. With the 7 button steering wheel phone controls, I can pick up and hang up on calls, and by pressing the star button, I can activate the voice control, but not a lot you can do with that. The phonebook on your phone will not load into the system. If you want to save names and numbers, you have to verbally enter each one at a time with voice commands. No Bluetooth audio streaming, which to me, is ok since there’s the SD card. AM/FM works fine, NAV works, compass + CD + Radio info in MFD display but no phone info there, just on headunit. As of now, no CD song info coming up either, wish that worked. Overall, I’m happy I have an OEM working sound/nav system, even though there’s better technology out there, now to reinstall my fresh headliner and on to other fixes, like alarm horn and funky interior lights!!

61 - 77 of 77 Posts